How do you make the sprite of a character change depending on an option?

kaitoes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The basis is that I'm trying to make the main character sprite change depending on the gender. How should I begin with this... all I can think of is duplicating the entire game

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
all I can think of is duplicating the entire game
Uh... that's a little extreme, LOL.

After you show the options, there's a "change actor graphic" command. Click on that, and change it depending on which option the player chooses.

kaitoes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uh... that's a little extreme, LOL.

After you show the options, there's a "change actor graphic" command. Click on that, and change it depending on which option the player chooses.
Whaaaaaaaaat. Thanks!!!

RePeat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just in case, I'd like to add that the sprite change is the easy part. As far as I know textbox portraits can only be handpicked so if you have two versions of the same character and still want the correct portraits you need to go back to every dialogue of that character and put it in an "if" sentence. With a variable you can make something like:

* if player male=1
> line of dialogue with male character's picture

* else
> line of dialogue with female character's picture

kaitoes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just in case, I'd like to add that the sprite change is the easy part. As far as I know textbox portraits can only be handpicked so if you have two versions of the same character and still want the correct portraits you need to go back to every dialogue of that character and put it in an "if" sentence. With a variable you can make something like:

* if player male=1
> line of dialogue with male character's picture

* else
> line of dialogue with female character's picture
Haha I figured something like that would happen. I'm just planning on not giving the protagonist any face box. :kaophew:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

finally drew 3 of the enemies that appear as students from the high school that's in my game.
Finnuval wrote on ShuBun-Kin's profile.
Loving the avatar :D
Introducing the premium bagel
I have a micro economics midterm tomorrow. I'm not worried.
Should be a...small exam :kaojoy:
While was working on one of the monsters that will appear in my horor game I may have made harold a Lovecraftian monster. (I used his head to keep things aligned.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshua2050