How do you make your game feel unique?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frogboy, May 9, 2016.

1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The best thing about having a fully developed RPG game engine at your fingertips is probably simultaneously the worst thing. Many, if not most, RPG Maker games feel the same or very similar. I'm sure you all already know this. I just want to discuss, in general or specific, what you focus on the most in order to make something that doesn't feel like "just another RPG Maker game"?

As for me, since I'm just starting out with the product, I'm falling back on something that I already know: scripting. I'm hoping that some custom gameplay mechanics that you won't find any other game will give me the opportunity to make something that feels different enough to be interesting even if the graphics and music are ones everyone here has seen and heard before.

So what's your focus to make a game feel fresh?

2. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Definitely the characters and the way they interact.  All character in fantasy games are human, and in every RPG maker game that still holds true.  Thankfully in MV they gave us a golem, a robot, and a werewolf ninja.  A fantasy game without fantasy races is just sub-par to me.  I even went as far to make a host more for variety.

Since behaviors are entirely limited to a sheet, people tend to stop there.  When they see a character react in a way more than a speech bubble animation it gives the character a huge leap in personality.  Having them stand there while talking until dialogue runs out is a big mistake.  Looking back at even the first few FFs you'll see their characters moved around and had head nodding as well as little posing quirks.

Original music.  Don't use the standard music.  @Scythuz has a mountain of music for free.  @DesperateMeasurez, @McTricky, @Ms Littlefish, etc.  Lots of great composers out there.  Don't think you have to settle for something when there are plenty of musicians roaming around.

An introduction to why your world is entertaining to the player.  It doesn't have to be special or unique.  All unique snowflakes turn into perfectly identical water drops when melted, and in the same way people are using your same view point to judge your rpg with it's elements.  Focus on what the player does.

Make a character that's never been used as a protagonist before.  I've had games were the characters are a anthropomorphic, transgender, and even pure energy.

Your menu and it's design.  Your logo.  Your title.  Plenty of good artists out there too.  Don't suffer a standard menu, when you can make a mock up and ask how to rearrange elements.

Mechanics that are simple to learn, and difficult to master.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  3. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Add unique sh*t. ^_^

Frogboy likes this.
  4. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Graphics.

You can have the best writing in the whole world but if your game look the same as others, it will be less appealing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
    Frogboy likes this.
  5. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Since we all love using rpgmaker there is no such thing as unique only differences are the story plot,etc unless we use our own made RTP's and add some coding we can achieve the feeling of uniqueness. :guffaw:

Frogboy likes this.
  6. txtk

txtk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Other than story and plots, it's extremely hard for an RPG Maker games to be unique. The default system is the best system after years of testing. Every time we try to do something creative that go outside of the default system, we run into some problems. As far as gameplay wise, I would suggest to use RPG Make MV and get yourself a small team of coders. I just don't think Ruby is the best language for game coding.

Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

8. Zak

Zak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    A bit of everything. Story, Characters, Music (= Atmosphere) and even to a degree the graphic. It's important to focus on your strenghts and not that you pleasure everyone. You make the game for you and secondary for the players. It needs to have your personal note.

Gaiaman77 and Frogboy like this.
  9. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So far, I replaced all the human sprites and portraits with my own style. Since my music composing skills are non-existent, I went to royalty-free sites for sound clips.

Frogboy likes this.
  10. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You put yourself into the game, then it'll be unique. Truely unique games come from the unique esscense of the creator. It's actually a bit like a scene in Afro Samurai, the moves you make from your own unique esscence may surprise even you.

Frogboy likes this.
  11. Tu-Face

Tu-Face Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Agreed. Even people who don't use RPG maker can recognize certain default assets, like Ralph. 

Frogboy likes this.
  12. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Graphics are the first thing most people see and are what shapes someone's first impression... if *unique* is what you're going for, original visuals are probably the most effective way to accomplish that.

like, it probably doesn't sound very fair to say that since I'm primarily an artist and can make my own resources (even though it's not easy), but in the past I've thrown up mockup screens for old game tests and people say it looks amazing and fun when it doesn't actually function and I hadn't even done any of the writing yet...

I think writing is actually one of the less important factors in making your game unique. It's often the meat of the RPG, but I think gameplay mechanics and music have a stronger uniqueness impact.

Gaiaman77 and Frogboy like this.
  13. Gaiaman77

Gaiaman77 Music Composer/Sound Designer/Self Proclaimed Nice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think having a dynamic score to match the games events is paramount to an immersive experience. A sprawling, open, epic world should be accompanied by music that matches the subtle (and not so subtle ;)  ) nuances that the game has to offer. this could be a twist in the plot, a dynamic scene featuring combat or movement, anything! It has to fit. and having its own "theme" is something that spoke to me alot through different titles.

Having a motif that re-occurs throughout the game makes it special. Its like the song "belongs" to that title because it has that musical reference. Its so easy to take stock music and use it as you can mix and match songs that work, and dont get me wrong, there are some great free tracks to use. 

However I think that having a good attention to detail on how the music corresponds to the "flow" of the game can make a massive difference in it being a generic title with tracks that loop over in the background to an epic title with a score to match. (Along with sick graphics, tasteful storyline and trying things no-one else has done before of course ^_^  )

Frogboy and Wavelength like this.