Not open for further replies.

SlaveOfThaMind

Game Developer / Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've spent a lot of time trying to create an inside map, but always start over with a  fresh start. I just cant figure out which way to design the house border, if I want to show the landscape outside, or a parallax background.

How do you feel is the best looking way to create an inside junction, such as a Tavern or Inn, Shops and Homes?

Inlcude a screen shot within a spoiler tag if at all possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want to include landscape items, it means you have to make your interior more closely resemble the exterior, and you don't have as much flexibility with size. Considering your interior walls and ceilings are going to take up 3 tiles, that doesn't leave much floorspace.

I like to have a ceiling that has a black fill, so it's only a narrow border around the house and everything outside (which is not important) is black. I try and keep the inside a similar shape as the outside, but I don't try and make the size the same.

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
could you include an example screenshot?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not offtopic

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh! LOL. Sorry then Touchfuzzy I wasn't aware because I didn't receive any notification.

Thank you then, for moving this to the correct location. I hadn't even noticed.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here's how I do it. The following is the picture of the first floor of a mansion:

bernards_mansion.png

And here's the outside of the mansion (another map):

bernards_mansion_outside.png

As you can see, the shape of the interior is similar to that of the outside (what Shaz talked about), but larger.

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
looks pretty good actually.

its obvious what you use for the wall and floor tiles, but what type to you use for the border? (Ceiling/Roof?)

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That would be one of the autotiles for walls and top of walls / "inside" ceiling, highlighted on the left here. The others behave the same:

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-15%20at%206.22.36%20AM.png

Travatar

Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm a bit weird because I've been working with a rather different approach.

What I do, is I take a chunk of scenery from around the interior--for example, the immediate area surrounding a house, and include that in the interior.

Of course, the interior has to be bigger than it appears from outside. Not only is this more efficient, but it also fits in with how we perceive objects in the natural world. A house or other will almost always seem to be smaller from the outside than it "feels" from the inside.

I do this according to a rule-- for example, the exterior of a house that started as, say 5x5 would make for a 9x10 interior. Why not 9x9? I'm not sure why. 9x10 just seems to work better, somehow.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this "right" and I'm probably making quite a few fundamental mistakes. But this might at least give you some ideas for how to do it in a way that works for you.

Below is a simple example, of a one-room house. Please note that the interior in the second picture is cluttered by design. It belongs to an archaeologist, of sorts, who's always collecting and cataloging artifacts. Being disorganized his kind of his thing.

Exterior

[IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/BlueTravesty/AscentScreenshot-exterior_zpsa3847c1a.png[/IMG]
Interior

[IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/BlueTravesty/AscentScreenshot_zps59851744.png[/IMG]

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I prefer to keep my interiors small, but not too claustrophobic. Rarely do I go over the default map size when making my maps in VX.. I generally rely on atmosphere and lighting to convey the mood of my interiors. Work with a size that feels most comfortable to you. Interiors are amongst the most common maps found in RM games, so there's rather a lot of them, and you would need to keep them varied as well.

interior%201.PNG

ra%205.PNG

An interior with a 'tree canopy roof.

ra%204.PNG

And here's the exterior of that building.

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
those all look really great everyone. I tried to make an interior scene for an Inn.  However now when the player is transferred inside, he gets stuck, only able to spin in 1 unit. The floor tiles are all marked in the tileset database with a "O".

not sure what im doing wrong now...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
^ pic of the actual map?

how about the tile B? make sure that the first tile on tile b is a blank, and has a walkable path (or a start one I think)

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I fixed it, sorry I forgot to update the thread. I moved the particular floor tiles I wanted to use to tab c by themselves.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Rpgmakerwebber I'm allowing this thread to stay open for the actual discussion of interior maps (though if you want this to be a 'post your maps!' topic then I will close it too, as we have the game & map screenshot for that). If you have an issue with your maps, please use our support forum, do not ask for help here.

SlaveOfThaMind

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Rpgmakerwebber I'm allowing this thread to stay open for the actual discussion of interior maps (though if you want this to be a 'post your maps!' topic then I will close it too, as we have the game & map screenshot for that). If you have an issue with your maps, please use our support forum, do not ask for help here.
Celianna,

The intent of this thread was for the discussion of interior maps. However while it is not a "post your maps!" topic, it is helpful that the users post a screen shot ( in spoiler tags as I have asked in op ) to explain visually how they are mapping.

This thread can however be closed now, as I have determined the style in which I am conducting my interior maps.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms
Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bagil