8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've a feeling this fits more into General Discussion then Commercial Discussion, but well, here's goes nothing.

I'm wondering, but in your own personal experience, what do you utilise to market out your game?

Currently I'm using social media, reddit and forums, but do you guys use anything else?

I'm thinking, of when come due to full release of the game, reaching out to reviewers that relate to my game, in order to market it out more.

But, that's mostly it, reviewers, reddit, forums and social media >.<

So if you have any more ideas, feel free to put them down below to help me and anybody else that stumbles upon this thread.

Edit:
If you all know a youtuber that does videos on marketing and different methods and such, which you find effective, then I'd appreciate it if you mention them.

Last edited:

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I basically do...
Whenever there's something I can show 'visually'. Which is 'new' and 'different' and can be interesting to some people... I post about it... everywhere.
  1. Facebook RPG Maker groups
  2. RPG Maker sub-reddit
  3. RPG Maker Discord Servers
  4. Instagram
  5. Twitter
  6. YouTube
  7. On Personal blog/website
(You can be fine just focusing on one or two channels. I'm however... a carpet bomber.)
------------------

I can't say much about marketing a commercial game. That works completely different than what I do with my marketing.
What I do is more focused on building a brand, than selling a single product/game. (Building a brand is usually more long term.)

In every post my intention and goal is, to 'help' people, and to 'inspire' them.
With a brand, comes values and principles I have to follow. And so part of my principle is, to never personally ask a YouTuber or streamer to play my game. (Since my goal is to help and focus on others.)

With a commercial game. I'd say you have to be pretty narcissistic and shameless. XD

The point being, different marketing goals require different strategies.

Since I'm working on building a brand. One of my goals is to keep inserting myself in conversations, and keep getting my name in front of people.
The idea is: the more people hear/read the brand name, the more they will become familiar with it. And the more they would start to build trust with it.

So for that, what I recently did was... I... went through...
...all the RPG Maker games on itch.io and followed every single one of their creator.
So currently I'm following around 2,700 RPG Maker creators on itch.io
And you can see it in my profile below:

So around 2700 users on itch, who are familiar with RPG Maker, got a notification, with my name on it.
"You got followed by SigmaSuccour"

Some sort of conclusion: Make sure what you want with your marketing is clear. VERY, very clear.
And then go full in on it, without any shame. (If that makes any sense.)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah I think General is best honestly as not every game you market is for sale. I'll leave it here.

As for marketing...wait, we need to market? o_O

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm going to put marketing in the same category as "Advertising" here, in that case:

Twitter (a-must, and no, other social media don't count), a personal Discord and personal development blog/website (preferably on several established sites which I won't name, do your own research to find what's best for your game genre and target audience) are your best bet.
Don't count on reviewers (especially your average Youtuber) though, unless your name is Sseth, most influential ones are not likely to bother reviewing anything but the latest AAAs, and your competing with the rest of the world in that department.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I get the best results using my own website (signature).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Slaving away at more maps. :LZSwink:
Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbzikowany