How do you "pick up the pieces" when getting burnt out on making a game?

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi - been awhile since I posted here, but I've been trying to get back into making a game (Using Ace). And It's just been kind of hard getting back into routine. I had talked to my friends about putting aside an hour each day to work on the games art/story/gameplay - and maybe dropping some scripts I had made, that look nice but aren't ultimately needed, that just kind of complicate easing myself back into the system that I can.

So yeah - I'm just trying to get back into this, and I was curious if any of you guys have had experience on this and how to get back on track and getting used to working on a game again - and maybe how you go about preventing burn out?

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to go back and forth working on different things. Its a little unorganized sometimes but it keeps my interest. I work on story, then mapping, then maybe eventing or mechanics, and then maybe some pixel art, and I just switch around. I never force myself to work on something just because its "The next part." Like for awhile I put working on it off for a month because I was stubborn about pixel art and finally I decided to work on some maps. Now I'm in the mood to do more pixel art hahah. XD

Another thing is to take breaks and play other games. :3 The most important thing is that its your game, there is no rush, and that you should never force yourself to keep working on a part that you have no motivation for. (I guess unless its the last part to be done? Cuz then there isn't much else to do haha.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had talked to my friends about putting aside an hour each day to work on the games art/story/gameplay - and maybe dropping some scripts I had made, that look nice but aren't ultimately needed, that just kind of complicate easing myself back into the system that I can.

This is exactly what I'm doing to try and get back into a routine. Did you give it a go? Is it helping at all?

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tend to alternate between projects and help other folk with theirs to keep things 'fresh' for me.

If I'm out of a project for a long time and really need to get back into it I usually start with some really simple and random stuff related to it instead of picking up exactly where I left off since this can be a bit daunting at times.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Take as many breaks as you need, and as long as you need them. Don't force yourself to work on your game, especially if it's your hobby. It shouldn't feel like a second job. I only work on my games if I feel like it or am inspired by something. Remember, the most important thing is to have FUN with game creation!

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually I play some games, then start by doing some coding first to get me back into the mood because thats the part I find to be the most fun.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
because thats the part I find to be the most fun.
I definitely recommend this. Whatever is the fun part, jump into that part to remind yourself that you do like making games.

If it's been awhile since I worked on a game, sometimes I just push Test Play and just see where that takes me. See what exists, see how it looks no matter how early the development is. It can even help you spawn new ideas and perspectives.

I had talked to my friends about putting aside an hour each day to work on the games art/story/gameplay
This is the worst kept secret about turning something into a routine ;)

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is exactly what I'm doing to try and get back into a routine. Did you give it a go? Is it helping at all?

So far my going-backs into RPG maker have been removing codes and trying to store them so I could re-use them if need be. I had a really nasty habit of learning how to do something and then trying to implement it and stuff. Though now I mostly forget how things worked.

What I do remember burning me out though - is having multiple stories I wanted to do, though the stories were all dead ends - I didn't really have the discipline to stick with one story and flesh it out more. Also just trying to plan out maps and such.

I do remember liking the feel of accomplishing things in code, and mainly the artistic drawing stuff the most. Maybe I'll make some time to just go about drawing battlers again.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Taking breaks from my projects is par of the course for me. Picking up the pieces after not having worked on it for some time isn't really too difficult, because I make sure I put everything I need in places that make sense for me. Getting back to a project is easiest when I have a bunch of new ideas for it.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do remember liking the feel of accomplishing things in code, and mainly the artistic drawing stuff the most. Maybe I'll make some time to just go about drawing battlers again
If that's the part you enjoy you should start there, maybe even help someone else's project and learn their method from it.

What I do remember burning me out though - is having multiple stories I wanted to do, though the stories were all dead ends - I didn't really have the discipline to stick with one story and flesh it out more.
If that is what causes The most grief for you maybe you'd benefit from bouncing those ideas around with someone . Preferably someone who is better in tieing stuff together :)

dulsi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't entirely agree with the advise given. By all means do something fun for your project if you were getting burnt out. However, making a game is a lot of work. There will probably be times when you need to do things you don't like. If you only focus on fun things, it may take an extremely long time to finish your game.

I haven't set a schedule for working on my game but I plan on trying it. I think consistent work may be very helpful.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dulsi it's only mean to "get back your feet on it". And it doesn't mean u should be working on the stuff you like all times. It at least may help you remember why you started it.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always have several text documents where I write down all things I have done, want to do etc since I had many problems in the past to continue a project after abadoning it for weeks.
My advice is some kind of production diary, which can help you get into your project again.
If you get burnt out because of multiple storys, then just make one or only two and not more.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And oh, staying here and answering all the questions I can answer, especially code related ones, seem to give me some boost of motivation too.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What I do remember burning me out though - is having multiple stories I wanted to do, though the stories were all dead ends - I didn't really have the discipline to stick with one story and flesh it out more. Also just trying to plan out maps and such.
Well, if there are multiple stories you like, you could think about how they might intersect or work together.

I do remember liking the feel of accomplishing things in code, and mainly the artistic drawing stuff the most. Maybe I'll make some time to just go about drawing battlers again.
You could also go the opposite direction and just focus on the gameplay and battles. Even an rpg doesn't need a deep or complicated story. You could even do both as with older Dragon Quests; Focus on the gameplay and battlers, figure out a super baseline story (save world from BBEG), then throw in vignettes to keep it interesting, using ideas you only half-baked. I bet it could make for an interesting game.

Nekohime1989

Nekohime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Everyone needs a break every once and a while. I generally go back to my inspiration. In the case of Manor Mouse that would be horror RPGs. I decide to play those for a while. You might a get an awesome idea from going through your inspiration again and decide to work on your game again!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My suggestions:

1) Write down what needs to be down somewhere. I recommend a document. The list might be huge (mine had 50+ pages at one point!) but then you can see exactly what needs to be done. Then maybe dedicate a session to fixing/adding one thing.

2) Take breaks. When I get overwhelmed or the motivation isn't there I'll often put the game down and play a game from start to finish for a week or so (or longer if needed). Usually by the time I beat that game I'm ready to continue.

Eurgh

Lord of the Reapers
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Best way to do it, find someone to test your game.

It will give you more motivation to 'tidy up' your game so it's more presentable for them to test.
Also just do a bit at a time, it may take a long time but honestly the moment you don't have the motivation to do anymore, just call it quits.

Also, set yourself a goal of doing a specific thing to the game and get it done, or at least do part of it since nothing kills motivation more than the thought of doing tons of work.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As for me though, motivation comes from talking to the fellow devs (usually in discord, or seeing their works in twitter). Sometimes even comes from a badly designed RM game or games in general (Let me show you that I can do better). It was good for an initial spark to work to re-pick up my game.

It was a true story that once I attended a game dev expo in my country, and some of them were RM games that didn't even make me impressed. It made me pick up a game that I have abandoned it for like 6 months just by that. So maybe you can try to play some people's game, see if it sparked your motivation :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antodi