How do you play, and why?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Aside from RPG Maker content, I play almost exclusively on RetroArch. I try to set the core options up as faithful as possible to the original hardware i.e. setting Dolphin to LLE, turning off all enhancements, etc, and I usually go for a look as close as possible to the out of the box state, such as, crt-royale-ntsc-256px-composite shader for Nintendo content, and 320px for everything else. The shader(s) I use mimic the look of a CRT with composite dithering effects. I like to play at 3840 × 2160, so that I can see the mask, and I modify the shader parameters to look like a Sony Trinitron consumer set. I'm not a fan of the PVM look, because it appears distorted to me at 480i/p, but I understand the appeal.

I like to have my collection, and save data all in one place. I dislike the current trend of companies charging extra for DLC, micro-transactions, online play, and cloud saves . . . it's too much for a hobby . . . too much money, and too many things to keep track of . . . so I have abandoned the days of physically owning every current generation console at the time of release. RetroArch has built in online play for a lot of the cores, and it's free. You can make save states, or SRM, and back them up yourself. I set it up so I can start a game, for example, Pokemon Yellow, on my Surface Book 3, and use my Surface Duo to continue where I left off, and vise-versa, using SRM automatically backed up to my OneDrive.

I do buy new games for the latest hardware, but I usually buy the console second-hand to try it for awhile, and later hack it so that I can transfer my content, and save data, while I patiently await updates to whatever emulator is the most accurate.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This topic is a little bit confusing as you put a question in the title but you don't leave a question in the thread content after providing the context by describing yourself. There is nothing for us to reply to. I can probably guess what topic you were trying to open, but first, I want your reply to make sure.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@TheoAllen I opened the topic to find out how other’s enjoy gaming. Do you play traditionally on consoles, and/or PC, or do you play backups via emulators on your PC, or mobile device? If you play backups, what kind of emulator(s) do you use? Do you use a front end? Pixel shaders? Do you play classic games, new games, or both? Online and/or offline?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll have a go at anything, to be honest, barring the old adventure games whereby the key to your front door is obtained by turning the pressure up on your pipes and forcing an octopus out of your tap because he has the key and you only found this out because the mouse living in your letterbox told you after you lassoed the letterbox through your window with a belt. Oh, and online games; I like a challenge, provided it isn't

Winnie the Pooh's Home Run Derby,

but I do like to play games at my own pace. I think Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Nioh are good examples to illustrate what I mean: I like to level up all my stats equally in these types of games, so I can do a little bit of everything. That's really fun for me. I dislike parrying, and end up not having to because I can use my spells or whatever. big_bonk_boi_69, on the other hand, has a stick and has channelled the bonk and is very good at being big, bonking, being a boi, and nothing else as he has built his bonky build for online play. My spells do not do that much damage because I wanted to wear a full set of stone armour, which would be fine against [insert whatever game enemy], but big_bonk_boi_69 laughs at this and senses my weakness to the bonk. Admittedly of my own volition, I end up in a position where I am possibly just getting bonked and unable to do much of anything. Granted, I have won all my encounters on these games, but it was hard and the principle still stands.
Another example is when you play a fighting game, try the online, and get ranked against God. If I am playing multiplayer games, I like it to be locally with people I know because there are absolutely mental people out there who can finish Cheep Cheep Beach in 0.06 seconds and I just wanted to chuck shells around for two minutes.

Regarding the medium used to play the games, whatever is easiest for me is what I tend to use. I may own a game on the PS2, but, to play it, I have to get out my PS2, and so I just end up emulating it on the PC because the PC is already there, as well as the PS4.

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just poop around with my laptop, playing whatever it can run. Sometimes I emulate NES, but that about it? 'Course, most of my free time these days is spent drawin' and puttin' Buxtehude through GXSCC. :biggrin: So no time for games.

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I'll play whatever my laptop can run! It's not specifically made for gaming, but it lets me play at the very least! I used to enjoy playing games on my Gameboy Advance SP and Nintendo DSi-- GameStop was my heaven as a kid, haha! Ever since the DSi and Wii went offline, I lost interest in handheld consoles. To be honest, I've been more salty about losing the trading in Pokemon and the like... and just like a puny villain, I've strayed from buying new game consoles because of that. :rswt

To be honest I still enjoy playing on my PSP and would gladly buy games for it, though ever since discovering Steam, playing on PC has been easier and more convenient for me!

My brother often gets on me for not optimizing my games and laptop when I game and he points out lag while I play. Though I don't really notice it myself, so I guess I'm just used to it! I also like to play very vanilla.

I prefer offline games, and I enjoy local gaming more than online nowadays. I'll pretty much play any game that interests me and is available to me!

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
PC Master Race, all the way. When I own game consoles, they have a tendency to collect dust and be resold. With my entry-level gaming desktop, basic apps that had issues on my budget, integrated-hardware PC now run like greased lightning. Considering I practically live off my computer, I figured the upgrade would have the best staying power over a console.

Despite the *ahem* totally-legit ways I play console-based retro games these days, I usually get my computer games from GOG and Steam. With older PC games, I favor GOG's lack of DRM and a la carte programs over Steam's app. However, Steam has a lot more stuff to pick from, and cloud saves are a huge reason why I may pick their version over GOG's.

For the games themselves, my tastes are almost-always RPGs and RPG-adjacent games. I also dig platformers, and though I suck at them I do enjoy fighting games here and there. Igavanias were the blending of my two favorite genres growing up, heheh. Every now and then I will do a roguelike too, but I have a love-hate relationship with those.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Let me set down my NES controller to respond...

But more seriously, I collect the systems and I don't try to keep up on modern consoles. I still buy carts for older systems (I gotta 100% Mischief Makers, no matter how much it kills my stuff) and I just like the systems and controllers. And I use a different set up for console gaming than computer.

I will use the computer for certain games, though. RTS and First Person games are things I just don't care for with controllers.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

#WIP Metal Tactics's TBS (2015 vs 2021)
VSt9pWc.png
ZXnpNYY.png
RPG Maker News #14 | Diffused Screen Effects, Unsellable Items, Ambient Synths, Adult Woman Set
If kids are going to be taught on computers and have access to the Internet, some basic knowledge of copyright should be a part of the grade school curriculum.
I have some news that I want to share - I've been accepted to university ^-^
I received some offers just over a month ago, but I wanted to make my choice and get things in place before sharing the news.
I'm super excited, and I'm very happy with my choice of program and school.
Yesterday I went to get some new jeans for my new job... and discovered I'm a plus size. I'm planning on dieting so I can get back to where I was before 2020. I decided on a Japanese food diet because the recipes I can cook at home are both low-calorie and delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arkauss