Icelord888

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am making this short game, where I have a dungeon that I want to slowly fill with water or gas or lava. The player needs to do some tasks before the map is completely flooded. If a player touches the flooded tiles, it is a game over.

Then I started implementing this by using the standard eventing and I realized how hard it will actually be, because I need to just spawn events that kill the player and just slowly fill the map with them. I know that there are plugins for event spawning but what I am looking for is something that will duplicate itself on a passable tile or on a player once every few seconds, to create a spillage effect.

I am not sure if this is the way to do it, but please give me some tips or some plugins (if you know of some) that achieve this spillage effect.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create the same (but different) maps, with flooded levels, then every X time, save player position to variable X and Y, then teleport the player to the another flood level map. This is the easiest way without scripting, etc.

Icelord888

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create the same (but different) maps, with flooded levels, then every X time, save player position to variable X and Y, then teleport the player to the another flood level map. This is the easiest way without scripting, etc.
This doesn't help me at all I want the flood to slowly creep up overtime and if I use your approach I would end up with about a hundred maps that are slightly different, in which case I might as well teleport events in and make them slowly walk forward.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Using Shaz Tile Changer you can replace tiles with water tiles without using events. Then you can make an Event with parallel process that checks the tile Id that the Player is standing on and do a Conditional Branch, if this tile is the water tile. Event Commands, 3rd Page, "get Location Info" should help you to determine the tile id.

Icelord888

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Using Shaz Tile Changer you can replace tiles with water tiles without using events. Then you can make an Event with parallel process that checks the tile Id that the Player is standing on and do a Conditional Branch, if this tile is the water tile. Event Commands, 3rd Page, "get Location Info" should help you to determine the tile id.
I think we're getting somewhere, but I still need a way to have the tiles slowly creep in towards a certain point on the map, so to keep it simple, imagine them slowly going from the bottom of the map, to the top of the map.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think we're getting somewhere, but I still need a way to have the tiles slowly creep in towards a certain point on the map, so to keep it simple, imagine them slowly going from the bottom of the map, to the top of the map.
You make a parallel process. Devote two variables to keeping track of which X and Y you're looking at.

Use a Wait command so that you're only checking every second, few seconds, however long you want it to take for the water to advance. Then you change the tile at X, Y via Shaz's plugin.

Increment the Y variable, check for it to be the full width of the map, if it is, reset it to 0 and increment X. If you want something different, like an entire row gets flooded at once, do that instead.

Then check as Aerosys said to see if the player got caught.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you want is in sprite_character code.

Set the bush depth to increase over time then set the water to be the only bush tile or set the water as it's own terrain.

Would you like an example code or is it understandable enough?

You will need to provide a set condition such that this does not retain that bush depth forever and it resets when leaving the map.

Icelord888

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I am starting to understand, I will have to see about changing only specific tiles into water tiles using shaz's plugin and its Js implementation, thank you, I may ask you again for syntax support in the horrible Js mess behind Rpg Maker but I think I got the gist of it. Many Thanks again!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A quarter of century ago, one astute frog man was born. :ninja:
All new MZ Weather & Title updates are also RETRO'able for MV! Updated RETRO project will be released on same day I'll release updated MZ demo -project!

retro.png
Just lost about half a day's worth of work because rpg maker crashed during playtesting and corrupted my file :kaolivid:
Boku.gif
advanced_puzzling.PNG
Having a lot of fun making different poses for my character sets! Open to suggestions/critique!

CSKttqh.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitecup