How does everyone here feel about "Dreams" for ps4? seems like it could be a Unity/RM/GM Killer

The_switchify

I make games and things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i wsh i had a ps4 so i could make stuff with dreams

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see Dreams as being more of a sandbox game than anything else. You can't really make products with it. That said, it has some serious potential if creative enough people pick up on it like what happened with GMod.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Read about this in game-informer last year; it sounds amazing, but I wonder about the IP rights for the games you make. Who owns it?
It appears as though the idea is in the pipes:
“Potentially, in [the] future, some people could use [Dreams] to make a PSN game, for example. That’s not really something we’re talking about at the beginning- but it’s one of the long term goals in my mind. The problem arises with making sure that everyone who contributed to the game gets credited properly, so there are some sticky areas to tackle there.”

(https://gamingbolt.com/ps4-exclusive-dreams-can-potentially-allow-players-to-create-and-sell-psn-games/amp)

The_switchify

I make games and things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
does it support co-op?

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, Dreams is not a RM/Unity/GM killer in multiple ways.
While Dreams allows the player to do amazing things such as the FF7 Remake video above, even if I were to make an amazing game like the real FF7 Remake, I can't even sell my hard work....real shame.

Although it is pretty amazing.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Unfortunately, Dreams is not a RM/Unity/GM killer in multiple ways.
While Dreams allows the player to do amazing things such as the FF7 Remake video above, even if I were to make an amazing game like the real FF7 Remake, I can't even sell my hard work....real shame.

Although it is pretty amazing.
that is disappointing, although I still kind of want it, especially if I can make my own protagonists and bosses using a model creator.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dreams looks interesting but I don't see the potential for commercial competition. In my experience, PlayStation and other consoles hardly ever support indie games. If they do, they're very picky about it, selecting only a small number of titles. I don't expect then to open the floodgates for indie devs to sell or even mass distribute. Kind of like how RPG Maker FES worked: Same as RPG Maker MV except you couldn't release the products. Even if you could release a dreams game, it would only be available on PS4. That's a different market from PC/mobile, and it's destined to become obsolete as soon as PS5 rolls around.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just checked out Dreams, and for me it's not a Game Engine as RMMV or Unity. For me, It's like a more complex version of LittleBigPlanet or any other games with in-built editors. The most important negative aspect is that for now games cannot be released as stand-alone products.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I guess my question, regarding the IPs, is officially answered.

And this other development is very interesting, especially that
"The aim is to learn how players might want to use their Dreams projects outside of the PlayStation ecosystem."
So Dreams may ALREADY be expanding, to some extent, beyond a console title! This is starting to be more serious :p

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Dreams is more of a Little Big Planet successor, same developers too I believe.
As someone said above, what you're making isn't a product, it's treated as an extensive level editor.

That's how it's going to feel with any Game Engine-esc title on a console though. RPG Maker 2k/3 is still somewhat relevant. But RPG Maker FES can only be as relevant as the 3DS, which is well past it's prime.

Rogue Milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I think it's awesome, altough I'm having a hard time getting used to the controls.
I really hope it comes to PC so it benefits from a larger audience.

As for killing RPG Maker, I really don't think it's gonna be the case. They can safely coexist imho.

But I got say, I really hope the next version of RPG Maker comes with a better integration for mobile or even consoles, that allow us to better distribute our games.

cotodigital

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i've seen this could be a real problem for RPG Maker
Why is it a problem? Better tools available are a bad thing?
I want to buy a PS4, I didn't know about this project and it certainly looks interesting.

One project that I used to follow was Smile Game Builder, that´s like RPG Maker but 3D. The potential was there, if they had more development. Honestly, I can't wait for the next version after MV, that will hopefully integrate 2D+3D natively. That's the jump they could make, as the other guy said, competition breeds success. If there's nothing better there's no reason for Kadokawa to step up.

It'll be fine.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as it's restricted to PS4 it won't be a real contender as a game making tool, also there is already a crackdown on copyrighted materials (starting with Nintendo IPs)

QuantumCapybara

Money Can't Buy Capyness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This looks super cool and I'd actually be excited about it if I wasn't so heavily invested in RPG Maker. But seeing as I am, I don't think I'll be making the switch. Which makes the idea of this being an RPGM killer kinda scary and upsetting. So I kind of hope Shaz is right, and what he said definitely made sense, to me anyway. That said I do have a PS4 so if I have some spare mons (unliklely tho that is) I might check it out just for fun.

RPG Maker PS1 was the first English language release of the series, right?

Purest Prodigy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It is very robust, but a very faaaaar way away from killing tried and true gamedev platforms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard