AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey people,

If I'm wrong here with this and you have some tag sugestions, I would be happy about a heads up :)

I'm pretty new to all of this and I had some questions about licenses. I have a few scenarios I'm thinking about
S1: I deployed a game and want to sell licenses to play it.
S2: I'm developing a game alone and want to be the only one developing but anybody could be able to play the game for free.
S3: S2 but I want to give the rights to develop it to someon else.
S3: S2 but I want to make it an open source
S4: I want to make it an open source project with me as the main developer/owner
S5: A game moves from someone else to someon else to someone else to me.

Are these possible and if yes how?

Thanks beforehand.

gothicvoid

[GothicVoid]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
S3:S2 is what im in right now.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm not really sure what you're asking...you ask if these scenarios are "possible" - why wouldn't they be? You make a game, you do whatever you want with it. Are you asking about how to implement the distribution, or how to actually word the license you use?

S1 is worded quite oddly to me. That's just your standard "make a game and sell it" - when you finish the game, stick it on Steam or itch.io or GOG or whatever.

S2 is the same, you just set a price of 0. Or stick it on Dropbox or Megaupload or Google Drive or whatever and distribute the link.

S3 you just send the project folder to the other person. You should probably also send them an e-mail explicitly saying they can develop it just so they feel comfortable you can't try to do backsies later.

S3 version 2 you stick the contents of your project undeployed and unencrypted into a file sharing site.

S4 is the same just organizational?

S5 I don't know what that means.

Any scenario where you start sharing the project, you need to make it clear that anyone working on it should own the appropriate RPG Maker software, and any paid DLC that your maps or databse references but they need to supply their own copies of. You also shouldn't share the folder of RTP assets, they're expected to have that from their own purchased software, just the maps and databases etc. that you've crafted, or freely available graphical assets from the resources forum and such.

As far as licenses, if you go to the Creative Commons Web site, there are pre-written things you can look at, but the license is whatever you type it to be.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the original creator of something (be it picture or audio or story or whatever) decides what licence to apply to that samething.
This licence could be anything he decides on - allowing everything or allowing nothing.

Then all users of that something have to follow the rules set by that licence. There are no exceptions to that.

If you are combining several things done by others, then you are required to follow all different licences from every single part included. This basically means that if there are several different licences applied, then the most restrictive licence has to be followed for everything.

You cannot break any part of any licence of a game, doing so will make your work illegal.
And you need to follow the track of every licence to learn what you can do with something.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note when you're talking about resources ... if you purchase stuff from the web store or Steam, your project cannot be open source, and if you have multiple people working on your project who are all using those resources (or all working in the editor), they also need to purchase their own version of those resources. This also applies if the development changes hands along the way - anyone who works on the game in the editor needs their own license to those resources.

If you're using all free stuff, the above does not apply.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly thank you both for the input. I should've clarified my question a bit.
@ATT_Turan
Your explanation is mainly the implementation of the scenarios.
and @Andar
You're getting closer to my problem but my main questions is not quiet answered.

What I wanted to know is:
What makes a licence?
How must a licence be shared? Where does it have to or should it be?
Which form must a license have?
What does it mean if there is no licence?
The way I knew licences was that you can buy a licence and can't share the software. With rmmv it looks not so easy to do. The game is the folder and can be copy pasted by anyone. Am I right?

@Shaz
Ohh. Nice to know. That was one of my questions at my other post.
What if I purchase those with a special license to allow the use of the ressource for free in that explicit project? That would maybe be a bit farfetched but I would like to know.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know there are discounts if you want to purchase RPG Maker itself in bulk, but I don't think the same applies for resources. If you want to buy assets for your team members, you're probably best doing that via Steam, as it already has a gifting system built in. But that applies to making a game as a team. You'd have to remove those resources if you wanted to then give your game to someone else who didn't have the assets (and same if you were continuing a game started by someone else).

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What makes a licence?
Basically a Licence is a text file where the artist or musician or programmer writes in whatever rules he requires to be followed in order to allow someone else to use something he or she has created.

ANYTHING can be in a licence if the creator of that licence wants it. But ONLY the creator of a resource can set that licence - everyone else has to follow it and cannot do anything that is forbidden by that licence or the result would be illegal.

There are a number of licences that are basically examples to follow easily if the creator wants to follow specific rules, but no creator is required to follow any rules for his own licences.

So basically anything of the options you gave in your first post are theoretically possible - as long as you use only resources that allow those options.
So even your S5 is possible IF the original creator has given a licence that allows anyone to work on his project AND if anyone after that has given the same licence for the added work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Don't mind me, just installing a fog machine. :LZSwink:

I can't stop looping this BGM while at work since I began to play PSO2. It just too good for mood booster.
How to post a picture there in the status feed?
So I was at the grocery store trying to reach for some small garbage bags on the top shelf way in the back. Instead of going all the way downstairs to find someone to help me I grabbed a broom and pulled it down. Putting the broom back I said, "Thank you for your service".
S.O.S.--10:16pm......two toddlers still awake....send help...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garycomehome