how does one circumvent steam's greenlight?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by mistFAWKES, Feb 8, 2016.

1. mistFAWKES

mistFAWKES Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    elngish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    sup fellas/fellarinas,

i've seen mentioned in other forums that don't have a commercial-specific section that one can circumvent greenlight using what robert rodriguez would call a 'money--hose', ie you pay up-front to circumvent the system entirely. two questions, for anyone with context:

a) are there prerequisites one must meet to do this?

B) what does it cost (dear god someone tell me how to disable emoticons lmao. this is question b )

thanks in advance for your time :D

2. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you have to ask, then don't count on it happening. They'll contact you if your game is good enough. If it's not, then that's what Greenlight is there for.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
    astracat111 and AwesomeCool like this.
  3. mistFAWKES

mistFAWKES Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    elngish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    lmao i just worked at a credit processing company for half a year in SF to fund my game, moving to another state to quadruple my liquid value. i'll await the response of someone who's not here to be condescending af :p

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Why not ask in the forum where you actually learned that you can circumvent it? AFAIK Steam will only accept a game without going on GL if it's really good or if you get a publisher that already has ties with steam or something

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Alternatively you can get a publisher and they'll bypass greenlight for you. Depending on the publisher of course.

6. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I vaguely recall an article that suggested the Steam is interested in funneling as many games through the Greenlight process as possible - exceptions are either very unusual cases, or large publishers grandfathered in. That would suggest that circumventing the process isn't very likely, though my information may be old in this case.

7. Baerthe

Baerthe An Art Director Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One simply does not circumvent greenlight...

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If your game is not good enough to be greenlit, I would go back and look at what improvements can be made.

A publisher might be able to help you avoid the greenlight process, but a good publisher is not going to accept a bad game either, which takes you back to the same spot - figuring out what improvements need to be made, and making them.

9. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The ones in charge here at rpgmaker web can publish your games and or DLCs to Steam as far as i know and read.

But they dont expect less than Greenlight does, but they are definatly a good seccond chance for trying.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  10. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese

A second chance that's squarely wasted if you don't polish your game enough from the failed greenlight campaign to the publishing, I have to say.

Besides greenlight is a fantastic promotion tool! If you use it the right way it can really bolster your project.

11. k41n3

k41n3 Warper Member

First Language:
    German, English
    Developing video games is about producing quality content people will want to accept, not circumventing the rules so you can make a quick buck publishing whatever. That's what killed video games in the early 90s with the Atari. 

12. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

You mean 80's. Also, I believe that being the first real console generation, and the fact that no one knew what console generations were yet, played just as much part in the crash as anything. If you go back and look at the timeline for console releases between the 2600, the crash and the Nintendo Entertainment System, everything falls in line with what we all know today but absolutely no one knew back then.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that's off topic.

14. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I can now get Steam IDs directly sometimes, but that's only after 4 games and $xx,xxx in sales. Otherwise, unless your game is well-known and big, Greenlight or a publisher are the only paths, as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2016