How flexible is RPG Maker?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Aesop, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Aesop

Aesop Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Now, I realize RPG maker.. is an RPG maker.

So I'd understand if this wasn't possible with this engine:

But would it be possible to modify VX Ace in a manner where there's action combat and dodge rolling similar to that of Titan Souls?

If not, does anybody have an engine they'd recommend?

Thank you for all your replies ahead of time.

2. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Possible, it is. In fact, many people used to make many different engines even in the old, non-scripting-avaliable RPG Maker 2000 and 2003.

3. Narcissus

Narcissus Master of Matters Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've heard of action battle scripts, but I don't believe any of them actually have a dodge feature, though I imagine it may be possible.

4. Aesop

Aesop Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  5. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Moved to Program Discussion.

6. Aesop

Aesop Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you!

I apologize about this being in the wrong section!

7. Randommerade

Randommerade All those years, outside looking in... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I tried bending it once, but it didn't work out that great, so I don't think RPG Maker is flexible at all....

lufan131 and Acetonide like this.
  8. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Just did some research, and here is the "engine" Titan Souls uses (more specifically, language and framework): Action Script 3 + Flashpunk.

As for the game itself. I have to say, if you want the same kind of smooth movement and stuff, you'll need to do some heavy modifications to the basic RPG Maker engine. But other than that, I think it should be possible.

One of these days I made a pixel movement... thing. My interest was to use a bitmap as a collision mask. And... yeah, I did it. And it works (some things need to be reworked, like vehicles and followers (they work, but have a nasty bug because of how the feature is implemented, but that I will fix if I need them).

So, yeah. It's possible. If one of you or your friends has experience building these kind of engines from scratch, much better.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back to the original question:

RPG Maker is extremely flexible - there are scripts that turn it into action RPGs (called ABS-Scripts around here), there is one that turns it into a platformer/jump'n Run game, one for tactical battles and hundreds of scripts that add smaller game mechanics without changing the basic engine. I haven't counted them in the last months, but I think the master script list now contains more than a thousand different scripts for use in the Ace engine.

That said, if you want a very specific mechanic then it's a bit of luck whether someone already wrote it or not - in most cases you only find mechanics that are generally similiar and need to adapt them for a game you want, or modify your idea to the existing scripts.

Writing a new script for exactly what you want requires programming knowledge - if you can't do that yourself, there are several scripters here that offer your help, but a complete ABS script isn't something you can get for free (we have a forum where you can requests scripts for free, but those requests are usually only fulfilled if the work can be done in a few hours - a complete ABS from scratch would need months of work).

10. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RPG Maker is capable of anything that you expect a computer to be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
    Acetonide and muramasa like this.
  11. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hahahaha, yeah. Now, the thing is where it starts to lag...