How hard of games do you prefer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Countyoungblood, Dec 27, 2017.

?

How hard to you like your games?

1. Push me past my limits.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Stress me out but not all the time.

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. I like thinking when im in the mood

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I play games to relax dont want to think

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. I keel gobins wit sword did me win?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So ive noticed there are some players like me here..but id like to hear some points of view.

How hard do you like your games and why?

Leon Kennedy likes this.
  2. Vincent Chu

Vincent Chu Writer and translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It totally depends on the mood I'm in. Most of the time, I just want to relax but I did use to play chess in the past. I know I'm not in a position to give advice but personally, I want to make my game suitable for a variety of players. I want the main storyline of my game to be easy to play through but I also want to have challenging optional content in the game for gamers whom want a challenge like you do.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  3. velan235

velan235 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    I think it depends on the player I guess

for me personally , I prefer something like SMT difficulty series. you can wind up the game easily after you understand the mechanic but still punish you for being a button masher even in the late game

Chaos Avian and Kyuukon like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on the mood. Some days I've had a long day at work and just want to enjoy the story of a game, and not worry about the rest. And some days I want a game that spatters me to pieces if I'm not careful.

However, if the game is hard, it has to be FAIR too. I really hate hard games that are hard by being unfair (usually either by cheap instant KO spells that turn the battle into a dice roll, or giving the enemy unfair advantages just to make the battle tough).

Also, I think the game should be clear about what kind of challenge it is offering. I really hate it when I fire up a game that looks like it will be an easy relaxing game only to learn it isn't that kind of game. Just be up front about what kind of game you are.

HumanNinjaToo likes this.
  5. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good point about unfair challenges thats a whole interesting topic in itself.

A lot of people seem to promote the idea of a middle ground game with optional hard challenges but i think id just prefer two games.

One for unwinding and relaxing..

And one for driving me crazy

6. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most games made in rpg makers I've played don't have anything that could even remotely be called difficulty levels. Because upon making bosses, people tend to forget one golden rule: Stats aren't what makes a good boss.

Countyoungblood likes this.
  7. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like challenging but I'm not really a fan of ridiculously difficult. I want to be able to play for a little bit and see the difficulty rise so that I have a chance to settle in and improve before hitting a brick wall. If it's super hard right from the start, I'll probably lose interest before acquiring the skills needed to get very far.

8. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    what would you say to a game that restricts healing and magic to a point that every potion use and every spell cast matters? the boss wouldn't have much better stats than the normal mobs but you'd probably be half dead by the time you got to him anyway.

Frogboy likes this.
  9. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me personally, that's the way I prefer it.

Countyoungblood likes this.
  10. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like difficult games that provide a fair challenge, ones that help you to feel like you’ve accomplished or mastered the mechanics when you can win by playing by the rules and using strategy.

Frogboy and Countyoungblood like this.
  11. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I like it when the game is pretty chill when I'm in the zone. And things could be wrong if I'm fukked up a bit. Or when I try to a harder route just for the lul. There should be a kinda obvious option you have to choose to win the game, and you failed because you didn't notice it for any reason.

That said, I'm a normal difficulty player. I play a game where the dev wish me to play in the difficulty they want the player to play

Frogboy and HumanNinjaToo like this.
  12. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is where learning from some of the best classics around can help. Chrono Trigger did not rely solely on stats for making fun boss fights. Instead it had the boss fights switch some things up and require different strategies. When I played those boss fights, it really felt like the developers put effort into their design.

Leon Kennedy and Countyoungblood like this.
  13. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most of this is a direct correlation to the state of your HPA axis, cortisol rhythm and how good your dopamine receptors are. People who want to be pushed past their limits and be stressed out sometimes haven't burnt their receptors yet, so they're still looking for those big rushes. I find it better and more enjoyable to have a slow drip of dopamine, rather than big dumps. But no one can argue killing 20+ players in the span of a few minutes all by your self feels really good.

So I stick into the "I like thinking when I'm in the mood" as I burnt through mine long ago and need to relax and recover for awhile. In terms of RPG Maker design, if I have to think with every random encounter it becomes really exhausting. Having those infrequent bosses that are lead up to and require more thought and effort is the way to go instead. Making satisfying gameplay even through trash mobs is the key, in my opinion. It should still feel good and rewarding to battle, even when it doesn't require much thought or effort.

14. bustedradio

bustedradio sports anime trash Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For me, I usually like having a fair challenge.

If it's an action game, I like the Soulsborne school of game design. They're very challenging games that force you to be more considerate of your actions. If you just charge in and button mash without thinking, then you're gonna get your ass kicked. Once you start learning more about the game it becomes much more rewarding and easy.

If it's an rpg, I like the SMT school of game design. You're handed ton of options to deal with enemies and you always want to hit their weakness to capitalize on your turns. A good battle in SMT is duking it out with the enemy until it dies. A great battle in SMT is destroying the enemy even before they get the chance to take their turn. You need to go into battle prepared for anything, or else you're gonna have a rough time. Though, like Soulsborne games, once you learn the ins and outs of the gameplay, it becomes much easier and rewarding.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Leon Kennedy likes this.
  15. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just plain don't like easy games. The games I've replayed 100x over give either moderate-severe challenges. Need for speed underground 2, super mario 64, resident evil 2, original star wars battlefront 2. Those are the games I've played 100x over and they all present challenge and nostalgia that for me does it way better than the new games that tell you everything to do in a quest and you see the enemies coming from 2 miles away.

16. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm from the Nintendo hard camp lol and those horribly difficult Disney games . That's how difficult I can take a game other than that I don't like trying that hard XD

17. drwho10

drwho10 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like games to be at least somewhat challenging. But it also depends on the kind of game. I really like games where it's difficult because of very challenging puzzles (e.g., Professor Layton series) or requiring you to explore everywhere. But games where it's hard to beat anything without days of level grinding, or having to deal with random battles every other minute, or trying to keep everyone alive in the Fire Emblem games that don't have the casual mode option, can get really stressful sometimes. It's not enough to make me dislike or not play the games, though.

18. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends for what purpose I'm playing the game.
    hard as in grindy. No.

19. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I love challenge and difficulty in gaming - but that tolerance for difficulty comes with two requisites:
    1. The difficulty is based on skill - if I lose, it should be because I didn't play well enough, and I know I can win on the next try if I play better
    2. Being beaten forces me to do little or no backtracking - the majority of my minutes should feel fresh, even after I've lost a few times
    This makes RPGs a below-average genre for high-difficulty games that are still fun - because most RPGs have low levels of skill expression and high amounts of "do the same thing" backtracking after a loss. It's very possible to make an RPG that averts these pitfalls (I'm doing so right now), but since that's not the norm, I advise people to err on the easy side when designing RPGs.

On the other end of the spectrum would be a collectible card game (Gwent, Spectromancer, MTG, etc.). Most of time you can pin the fault for a loss on yourself because the game is essentially fair, and if you lose you don't have to repeat the same things you've already done (even if you have to repeat a storyline battle, the battle should play out in a very different fashion every time).

Frogboy likes this.
  20. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread makes me so happy. My games are typically never a cake walk and I usually get criticism for it. Not mean criticism, usually just the "It was too difficult for me" kind. There are times that I think that I'm too old-school and that no one likes games made at the difficulty level that usually target but this thread always breaths life back into me. :)

kaukusaki likes this.