Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, everyone.

Clearly, I am new to this community, and I am glad to be here. I am planning to do an episodic series using an IP of my own creation. I will not be selling it directly. I will be using my own web site to distribute it. I'll be making money from the web site's ******* campaign, which I have not launched yet. I am a blogger, a serialized fiction writer, a musician and aspirant composer, and I am an armchair game developer who is about to get out of the chair :)

I plan on producing content in all of these areas, and if I am fortunate enough to gain enough funding through *******, I will be able to produce the content full time. Those who do not want to give me a dime but want my content will have it, But I will not be releasing episodes of my game series, or chapters of my serialized fiction, or my music compositions unless funding milestones are reached. So the more people fund me, the more regularly content will be released.

Has anyone else considered generating revenue for their PRGM content in this way? Any advice or tips?

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here is a topic about your question:

******* doesn't really work as a money maker unless you produce consistently good results regularly and have a large fanbase, so I wish you luck on that.

Also, it would be helpful if we got to see your website and work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
additionally, it isn't that easy to make a living in the game industry - there are only a handfull of developers around here that really can live on making RM games, and they needed years to get to that point (both in gaining experience to work efficiently at good games, and on gaining enough fame so that people know they get what they pay for.

So you'll need some other income to pass the time until your games are good enough to generate income - it will help if you have other things you can publish to get to that popularity to be able to sell things on the web however.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well... technically, I'm not anticipating making a living in the industry. I've got a job right now that pays well enough for my needs. But I don't want to produce my web content completely for free. At the start of my ******* campaign, the goal will be for the two days per week I will have completely free to work on content. I just want to round out my productivity. The only way I will consider myself FULLY FUNDED through ******* would be if my monthly revenue from it surpasses my current full time job, at which point I will have the OPTION of producing my web content, full time. But I do not see that happening for quite a while, and I am not going to be holding my breath.

Really, my site is essentially just my delivery mechanism for content of my own making. Using RM to create episodic installments to an ongoing story is intended to just be one type of content to be made available.

I am not ready to widely present my web site, as it is still in the process of being built. All I have right now is my serialized fiction story which will not be updated until some time next month, coinciding with the launch of my ******* campaign. Whatever happens with it will happen. I just plan to make the release of content be based on funding milestones rather than direct sales.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
There are content creators out there who work in the ways you're describing here. Just check out Puppet Combo for example. A big difference with those creators is that they make games that are very youtuber friendly and that has created a large enough fanbase for them to make decent money, both by game sales and monthly support.

Not going to sugarcoat it, you are going to have an uphill battle if you're making RPGMaker games. Like said previously here, RPGMaker games can work and gather even larger audiences, but it'll take years to make a name for yourself.

But since you're not even planning on dropping your full time job any time soon, there's no issue here. Just go for it and good luck.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are content creators out there who work in the ways you're describing here. Just check out Puppet Combo for example. A big difference with those creators is that they make games that are very youtuber friendly and that has created a large enough fanbase for them to make decent money, both by game sales and monthly support.

Not going to sugarcoat it, you are going to have an uphill battle if you're making RPGMaker games. Like said previously here, RPGMaker games can work and gather even larger audiences, but it'll take years to make a name for yourself.

But since you're not even planning on dropping your full time job any time soon, there's no issue here. Just go for it and good luck.
LOL... Yeah...

I created this thread back in 2016. A lot has changed since then. I lost that job last year due to Covid and have been out of work and living off a financial buffer I had the foresight to establish. My creative energy has shifted more towards music composition, and I am trying to get something going with that, but it is not taking off as well as I would like. I hope ton get back to work before my buffer runs out, and then I will reassess how my gamedev plans will need to fall.

We can have all these grand ideas for what we want to do and how we'll do it, but life has a way of dictating what we actually end up doing. So we will just have to see.

Thanks for posting. Be blessed...

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
haha oh, didn't realize I was necroposting. I just noticed this topic pretty high.

Just keep at it! If anything, I've noticed that if you keep grinding on anything long enough, you'll get at least some recognition and achievements on that field.

Do you have your music on display anywhere?

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
haha oh, didn't realize I was necroposting. I just noticed this topic pretty high.

Just keep at it! If anything, I've noticed that if you keep grinding on anything long enough, you'll get at least some recognition and achievements on that field.

Do you have your music on display anywhere?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

IlluminaughtyStore.jpg
:kaojoy:
Welcome to the Illuminaughty store.
Yes... they are "wearing Illuminati branded everything, reclining on huge Illuminati body pillows. Occasionally they'll "teehee" at each other and have pillow fights with Illuminati branded pillows full of hundred dollar bills."
BCj
Working on Escalia again, feels good. Have this overwhelming urge to map as well, but need to get some extra tiles commissioned first :D
Lee Sang wrote on Bandito's profile.
Hi, I've just tried your plugin "Game is Active" and when I tested it on Android, it gave me an error, something about "Cannot read property 'underfined' of underfined.
With my project, I want the player to have access to all the tools they need to get from New Game to Credits as soon as possible; I want the player's progress to only be impeded by the player not knowing how to use the tools the game provides.
Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disty