How invested are you in your IP(Intellectual Property) ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grunwave, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Was reading an interesting thread started by 13th Harbinger:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...-to-see-your-games-world-explored-from.98740/

I feel like I unrightly assumed that most of us were just churning out a world environment as we developed.

The discussions there made me curious about the community's vested interested in their IP. How long have you been developing your world? How many games have you created for it? What other medium have you carried that IP into?

consolcwby and Kwerty like this.
  2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My main one I have had for over 15 years and has gone through all sorts of different iterations, but it's still alive and well. I've made comics, wallpapers, emote sets, animated movies and games for it, and for a long time it was pretty much the only thing I worked on. Since then, I have made up some other worlds (mainly for RPG Maker), because I have ideas that I don't want to drag my main world into, and also for some variety. Sometimes, I like things I did with my side projects, and then try to fit them in my main world, even if just as an obscure reference no one will get.

3. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I read once that Tolkien did that with Tom Bombadil. It was apparently part of a bedtime story he used to tell his children.

4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have two (or maybe three) different IPs. The first one was quite ambitious as everyone's first project that failed to see the light of the complete/demo game. However, I have developed a quite much world building including how magic works, the nation and their uniqueness, even theme song for it. Yes, I have music dedicated to them, but no media were published to introduce them to public. Although, some of the music I have imported to my second IP / another game.

I still have interest on my first IP, but I put it on hold and let my brother continue to mess with it while I'm tinkering with another.
    Oh btw, here are the main theme of the said IP

--------------
    Second one is shared IP, you might have heard of Eremidia, Eremidia Dungeon, or Eremidia Chronicles. It's a community driven project from RM Indonesia community since 2012 like Arum in this forum. However, the fire is not light out yet. This IP was developed by many people from the forum. Interestingly, the lore, character, and many of things were developed based on an actual event on the forum itself (including SJW, drama, etc, translated into a lore). This is why, if you even wondered / noticed if there are some self-insert on the said project, it is not simply because it was cool. It just how we want to deliver the IP to people, and implying to tell them that this is a community based project/lore. However the one that mainly continue to hold the torch and deliver it to public are me and richter_h. Our main media is richter_h's game, An Empty Tome, while I do the spin off.

In the past we also held a RP forum, and whatever result that comes from RP can be considered a canon with some modification. There was a certain RP agenda, and resulted an interesting story. One of our member adapted the work and write web novel from it with slight modification. However, the novel wasn't written in English.

Our theme for Eremidia. One of our member contributed to melody, and I continue to re-arrange them.

And one below for battle theme

---------------
    Third IP is, an extension of second IP, and it was "purely an accident". This IP are the characters I was using to make my complete game. At the first time, I was just randomly generating character to complement my game because a game needs characters, there was never been an intention to seriously develop the char. However, as the time goes by, I thought to give them some love, I shaped their personality while developing my game, so they stuck on me that eventually I want to make them more than just a character that present for a sake of completing my game. Which is also why I'm making the sequel for my game.

So while I'm on hiatus to develop my very first IP, I'm still continuing to develop Eremidia together with my community and these char.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Latefallen

Latefallen 90% of the time, my code works 100% of the time Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I used to have a lot more IPs than I currently do and I tend to protect the ones that I have. That being said, if I feel like I'm 'done' with an IP, like it's not worth holding on to anymore, I'll let it go.

My first IP was a silly game (that I'm remaking one day) which revolved around simple puzzle mechanics which, thinking about it, would work well on smartphone devices (not that smartphones existed when I first made it). When the game came out I did everything to do with it. I made wallpapers, animated shorts even cursors (hands up who remembers when custom cursors were popular).

From then I've either held IP or released them. I must have a vast number of ideas that are still cooking, eventually getting a release... at some point.

6. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eh... this "IP"? About 3 years or so. It has other IP's linked to it. Unintentionally, I've sort of done what Stephen King did with his books. Where things all kind of just link together. Part of this story is also tangentially related to this other story, or have this similar concept.

I guess in that way, it makes my "IP" sort of hard to steal or copy as I have never really revealed all the details of any aspect of it. The story ideas can be stolen easily and such, but the actual story could never be reproduced. Many of the "links" to other things I've done could also never be reproduced. At least, not convincingly.

I hold onto ideas as long as they interest me. Stories as long as there is something to tell and the characters inside of them have something to say. If I discard them, nobody ever knows they are. Most of the time, they are folded into the larger narrative of something else.

7. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends on what the project is, really. If I'm making a game I never assume it's going to be popular enough to warrant a sequel, so I make standalone games and only write enough lore and worldbuilding to contextualise the game's story. If I'm doing a standalone lighthearted novel, that requires a bit of worldbuilding as well but I don't need to write a detailed timeline of humanity’s expansion into space or the minutiae of the setting because if the story I'm telling isn't about stellar expansion specifically, it's irrelevant. But for a tabletop RPG setting, I invest a lot of time because it's less my story and more of a toolkit for my players to tell their story and it needs to have a lot of potential depth for them to be able to do that. These are just a few examples but like I said it can vary from "the world really isn't important and I'm never going to use it after this project" to "this is going to be a consistent, permanent world with many stories taking place that will shift and evolve and react to the events of those stories". Not all IP is created equal and my investment in them isn't either.

consolcwby likes this.
  8. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How invested are you in your IP(Intellectual Property)?

This is a good question, to be honest. And to answer this question, here's a short version of my answer: a lot. Maybe more, maybe less, maybe half of my current lifetime had spent on this IP. I don't know exactly how invested I am in this IP, though.

[​IMG]

I can't tell if I have a bunch of IPs to be told since most of the stuffs I made are bits and pieces of almost everything that I tried to realize. A concept worth to be made, if you will.
    However, if you look up my username in search engines (like Google), you'll mostly be directed to one title: Eremidia. That's right, I'm the one responsible for the projects (mostly, but not all) labeled with Eremidia. I've put lots of my work under this title since 2013. Had brought it up and down as well; I've brought the IP to local expos several times, made several impressions good and bad alike, and the best of all: I managed to gather the community round to make something worth to tell around. No, I'm not trying to take all the credits for this; kudos for the community to make it this far, so the credits should go to them including Theo who had mentioned the title above.

I have incubated several soon-to-be IPs, one of them was made out of my frustration when I was brought down by the community. Still, I'm carrying on with Eremidia because I want to see how far it would fare in the middle of fierce competitions around RPG Maker communities--and the world in general. You know, it's once in a lifetime chance to do this kind of stunt.