Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In RPG Maker VX Ace I had some difficulty managing the lag created by some of my parallel process events.

Does anyone know if this aspect of the Maker has improved?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best engine in the world will not make up for badly designed parallel process events.

So it's not the maker that needs to improve - it's the design of the event.

Did you ever post your events here to get help reducing the lag?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Performance of MV has been drastically improved from the videos

2) However, a badly designed parallel process can lag anything - if you had difficulty managing your parallel processes in Ace, then you either had large maps with hundreds of events (in this case MV will work a lot better) or you were making less than optimal parallel structure (in this case the lag will probably be reduced but not eliminated).

In the second case of bad parallel design it would help if you place screenshot of your parallel processes.

EDIT: ninja'ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The best engine in the world will not make up for badly designed parallel process events.

1) Performance of MV has been drastically improved from the videos

2) However, a badly designed parallel process can lag anything - if you had difficulty managing your parallel processes in Ace, then you either had large maps with hundreds of events (in this case MV will work a lot better) or you were making less than optimal parallel structure (in this case the lag will probably be reduced but not eliminated).

In the second case of bad parallel design it would help if you place screenshot of your parallel processes.

EDIT: ninja'ed
I don't think I ever posted a screen shot of the event.  

It would be difficult to do because it involves numerous event calls so it would require many screen shots strung together.  If you suspect it's my event structure to blame though I'll post it once I begin MV if I still encounter lag.  Maybe you could give me some advice on how to clean it up.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good idea. If you'd like us to take a look earlier though, you could use my Extract Event Contents script over that map, then trim the resulting file to just that event. That'll let us see what's going on, without needing to take screenshots.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't know much on MV even ACE I consider myself a baby. I want basic Events Mining nodes all over the world. I wanted larger world for many reasons but the idea of the game was more sandbox features. I was told that once you hit 100+ events that you would have issues not because of what the events are even doing but engine limitations.

Someone in this community started to crate scripts for ACE for $$ that would let me have 1000+ Events without lag vs 100 for example. A ton of example and profiling were done to show this.

I guess for me if I were to say how is the lag I would mean that more then anything. 

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
In RPG Maker VX Ace I had some difficulty managing the lag created by some of my parallel process events.

Does anyone know if this aspect of the Maker has improved?
no one will know and the lag in ace didnt exist unless you had a LOT of processes happening

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Too many events will always cause lag. In fact, even though the games are more efficient because of javascript, lag might be MORE of an issue rather than LESS, if you're planning on porting to the mobile platforms.

If you have many events and you want them to all do the same thing when you interact with them, you are better off using Yanfly's Region Events script, which allows you to have ONE common event, that can be triggered from as many locations on as many maps as you want.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Too many events will always cause lag. In fact, even though the games are more efficient because of javascript, lag might be MORE of an issue rather than LESS, if you're planning on porting to the mobile platforms.

If you have many events and you want them to all do the same thing when you interact with them, you are better off using Yanfly's Region Events script, which allows you to have ONE common event, that can be triggered from as many locations on as many maps as you want.
I will have to recheck that one. I assume that is recommended for having say 1,000 Copper Ore deposits around the world. I don't want to activate 1,000 just want to be able to mine each one overtime. Then I like to put maybe a random timer say 60 minutes to 120 minutes and randomly in between those 2 it will show up again.

Little example. 

I should wait till I have MV in my hands though to ask these questions or even seek help. I'm just excited. 

I think I will try putting them on android for fun but mainly aiming just for PC build. 

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Every event that exists may require you to update it at some point for whatever reason (sprites, logic, etc).

Even if MV can run 1000 events no problem, you probably shouldn't have 1000 ore deposits sitting around all getting updated if they don't have to.

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Every event that exists may require you to update it at some point for whatever reason (sprites, logic, etc).

Even if MV can run 1000 events no problem, you probably shouldn't have 1000 ore deposits sitting around all getting updated if they don't have to.
Javascript could help with events by basically doing it with promises, so event.done(do ex).fail(.do y) its the concept of promises that allows you do things one time at a time.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Yea exactly, this is most definitely not a engine issue, Poorly designed systems, will always cause performance issues, nomatter how powerful such is, and to make matters worse, It's communitive, so game designers should at all times strive to impliment a system/event as efficiently as possible. It also will enable you to add more/new stuff to the game later on in development much easier overall.

Furthermore it should be noted that compilers are finicky at best, and do not like sloppy game design, so if you're not careful, when you finish developing the game, it may decide not to compile it at all, which=you just now wasted all that time developing a game, you can't compile.

Missile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
no one will know and the lag in ace didnt exist unless you had a LOT of processes happening
Or using layered parallax mapping. Or special effects. Or fogs. Or a resolution beyond 480p.

People are saying it's not an engine issue, but these are things other engines (construct, multimedia fusion, gamemaker, gamesalad) handle easily. Granted, none of those features are supported by default, but that's mostly for performance reasons to begin with (for example, try increasing the resolution in RMXP, where it can go to 1080p).

That said, thankfully it looks like MV does fix a lot of these, which is awesome!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How does this add to lag? oO
All layers of parallax maps are fullsized pictures of the same size as the maps, and they have to be in RAM completely for the map to work - no shortcuts by tiles.
As a direct result, memory usage goes up drastically with the size of a parallax map, multiplied by number of layers.

And that means less memory reserves for processing while needing more to handle the map...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!
Took a small break by playing VR. Latest update of these glasses unfortunately caused a little of trouble but it can be fixed with a manual operation.

Until You Fall is freaking awesome.
I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.
how it looks from the top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FSTR