Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let me start with this: I already have an awesome menu (Thanks to Rhyme!). However, since updating all of the graphics and characters, I've been dabbling in the idea of buying the Luna Engine, and make a new menu based on my changes to my game. 

My question is, how knowledgeable do I need to be to work the Luna Engine? Is is newbie friendly? I have very little (almost none) scripting abilities. Is it still okay for me to buy and tinker with? I mean, I'm sure it's okay for me to buy it, lol, but how difficult is it for an amateur to understand? 

Reaction score
First Language
Cookie
Primarily Uses
I don't know, it looks quite simple but I'm sure other members would help you if you have any problems, there is also tutorials. :)

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
See, I've looked for tutorials. Maybe I'm just dense? I caved and bought it because I really want to do some cool stuff, but I'm even nervous to just open it. I get overwhelmed easily, so maybe this was a bad decision. Lol.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
My guess is it's fairly straightforward if you use the documentation.

Try not to bite off too much of the elephant at once --- i.e. trying to use all of the bells and whistles in the Luna engine.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
See, I've looked for tutorials. Maybe I'm just dense? I caved and bought it because I really want to do some cool stuff, but I'm even nervous to just open it. I get overwhelmed easily, so maybe this was a bad decision. Lol.
Or you may try to ask Archeia, Yami or other Luna Engine developers to make a more detailed manual with some common examples. It'd significantly increase their workload of course :)

BoluBolu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If I looked at the reviews, I believe it should easy enough for non-scripter, because Luna Engine is specially designed for non-scripter, I mean why would they create it for ones that already know scripting anyway?

And I'm sure Archeia and the gang would be kindly help you if you have any problem :)

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I am not a scripter and a owner of Luna Engine, it is an easy thing to use, just alot of back and forth looking. They do include three different sample layouts for you to use,

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Luna Engine is so much easier if you have a menu layout in mind. And hell if you have none.

You don't really need much scripting knowledge aside from what's written in the manual.

If you need help don't hesitate to contact me. I can be reached in skype.

sai

devourer of eggs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As a non-scripter, I think Luna Engine is fairly easy to understand. Personally, what I did was use one of the premade projects as a guide, and put in my graphics in place of the existing ones, adjusting positions and whatever else accordingly to accommodate my graphics. There will be a lot of adjusting and going back and forth, but the end result is really great! Essentially, as long as you know how to work configurations in a script, I think you're all set.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I tried to add more documentations to Luna Engine and YSA-CATB Compatibility Settings by DoubleX, but I quickly find that all those settings are, to me at least, so clear and intuitive(like any other Luna Engine configuration setting) that I somehow even feel that any more documentation would seem a bit redundant to me least. So I just gave up :)

P.S.: Maybe I'm way too biased this time.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To be honest, that's the same problem I had when writing the manual hahahaa ;;;;;

It just seems so...'obvious??' But it's probably our experience telling us this and makes it hard to relay to newbies.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you have someone who has implemented a UI the Luna Engine, but who wasn't involved in its development, maybe they could take a stab at adding documentation based on their experiences.

But it sounds the people who've used the Luna Engine find it very easy to work with, as long as they have menu ideas in place beforehand.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you have someone who has implemented a UI the Luna Engine, but who wasn't involved in its development, maybe they could take a stab at adding documentation based on their experiences.

But it sounds the people who've used the Luna Engine find it very easy to work with, as long as they have menu ideas in place beforehand.
everyone (the testers) who used the luna engine didn't have a manual  :guffaw:

Brackev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is the Luna engine a separate program that writes scripts for you to input in, or is it a collection of scripts that need to be decoded and edited for the users preferences?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's a collection of configuration scripts.

Decoded tho?

We have a sample stickied in this boards if you want to try it out.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I stopped messing with it for awhile, and forgot about this thread! Thank you all so much for the replies!!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wazazawa