how long did you take to finish your first game ?

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Under a month for IGMC2017 game jam. It's pretty decent, not the grand scale I wanted, after judging I will revisit it and flesh it out more but it exists on a complete standalone game. I have a project I have been working on since May that was put on hold for the jam and now I've started another project.

I think making a short game in a tight deadline is the way to go for starting devs. You learn much more in a short amount of time when the clock is ticking, instead of taking your sweet time and never releasing anything because you want to polish this and remake that, you will never release anything that way. Plus once you finish a game you just want to keep making and finishing them!

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@OnslaughtSupply And it's easier to learn the program on a short deadline because all the eventing options remain fresh during the making. Taking too much type to develop a game, means having to remind oneself of the features over and over, several times.

KateMarie999

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
9 months and 50 people. It was a huge undertaking and I can't wait to make another one!

Amenti

*Grandiose*
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once I had all ideas down, just a week. But it was a very short project meant to test stuff.

FazbearGamer05

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Took me 1 month to create and finish my first game
It wasn't the best game, since I was still learning how to use RPG Maker.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
3-4 months for a generic 12 hour game, but that was 17 years ago on the ps1, and the memory card it was on is forever lost.

Current game is about 6 years in with about 2 left to go.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Technically my first game was never finished, same with the next few games.. The first game I finished and released I believe (at least in terms of RM) would be "Chicken Games" which I spent a few months on. I only really work on my games a few hours a day, that is when Im not doing anything which is scarce. Sometimes I can work on it for a week or so then stop for a week or more due to other stuff in my life.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Couple months for mine but even that felt too long. My second game took 2 days and was for a game jam, I think thats really the way to go.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was actually done in Flash, not RM, and while it took about a year, I was super lazy with it and often went weeks at a time where I didn't even work on it. It also wasn't very good (bad writing, crap graphics, but otherwise not bad) so there's that. :)

My current project (first RM game) is about 1/2 done and I started it around December. If I wasn't so easily distracted with side projects (random apps, not other games) it'd probably be done by now. Originally I was working on my "dream" game, but I shelved it because I want to get it right. I'm glad I did, because I'm already way more experienced with MV than I was when I started it.

Eurgh

Lord of the Reapers
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
6 years and counting. I improve all the time, which causes me to remake parts of the game so it's better quality, which obviously ends with no real progression

CaRa_CrAzY

Undefined Custom Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I come to know RPG Maker since 2002 and I haven't finished a single game ever.
I even graduated in Game Development and have worked on educational games, but my college games are just prototypes and the works I took part on never got released. :frown:

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My big epic had been 7 years and still not done yet (yay dev hell) . My game I'm gearing up for release come spring has a shorter dev time: 3 years. Why so long?
Because i wear many hats. I do the music, art, coding etc...
The 3 year project was faster because i bought assets and used yanfly's codes 〒_〒 so shorter dev time help focus on getting the game out of hell.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It took a month of constant work to complete the game. However, I'm still polishing it. You can polish a game forever.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About 5 years, if counting break in between development periods. Taking out the breaks, around 6 months of working on it for at least a few hours a day, I'd say. And an extra month or 2 for fixes and additional content after its release.

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first games were weekend projects, for game jams

Everything else, I've never really finished

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About 3 years... and it's nothing overly complicated either haha I just tend to get distracted and take lengthy breaks from time to time. So... it took about 3 years... but realistically, probably closer to 1.5 years if you take out the breaks.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 week... Course "game" is giving it WAY too much credit :guffaw:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxdiagnostical