a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm thinking about buying the engine, but I'm also not sure if i'll have the time to do anything. How long does it take to make full game?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my completed game, I finished it in 3 months using almost full RTP (the resources that are bundled together with the software). It was a full game from start to finish. Then another 3 months to polish it. Editing the resources, using some custom asset, and fix many things including rebalance (not counting fixing bug and patches after release). Granted, I already had a skill with 5 years of experience (that is actually, only the last 2 years I was using RM intensively).

A different game goal may require more or less time, so that depends. Some even took like 3 years or 6 and it is not finished yet.

Sugor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on your story or how will you make it.
you can start at a small project first maybe you can finish it in a month/s if you will be fulltime doing it, that's on you on how long will you be able to make it.

Reactions: a_a

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the responses! How much money do you think I'd have to spend aside from the main program?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends. My game in my signature took 5 years, 3 months. But I also was working full time most of that time too.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends. My game in my signature took 5 years, 3 months. But I also was working full time most of that time too.
That looks impressive! You think I could finish a small beginners game in a month or so?

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the responses! How much money do you think I'd have to spend aside from the main program?
Again it depends, there plenty of free ressources you can use, if you only use those and the RTP ressources, you won't have to spend anything on your game. But you may have to pay way more, if you want custom graphics or music and need to hire someone to do them. So far I've spent 5$ on my game, because there is some plugins I absolutely needed and they weren't free. But some pay way more than that for their games. It's all up to you. But make sure you'll finish your game before spending money on it...otherwise it'll be a waste.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't mind me asking, what are the plugins. I don't mind spending a couple bucks to help the development.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, IF you keep it simple. My first game I finished (I didn't release it) was a 20 level dungeon crawler that had no story, and just 20 maps that you had to get through. I just flooded it with monsters, and used it to test my battle system.

But there are plenty of simple games out there. Someone made a game called Eric in the Sea, which is literally Eric, in a map of all ocean. I made a game for a contest called 66 seconds to save the world which is you got 66 seconds to find an item on the map, or you lose. I'll put a link to it in a spoiler if you wish to see it:

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, IF you keep it simple. My first game I finished (I didn't release it) was a 20 level dungeon crawler that had no story, and just 20 maps that you had to get through. I just flooded it with monsters, and used it to test my battle system.

But there are plenty of simple games out there. Someone made a game called Eric in the Sea, which is literally Eric, in a map of all ocean. I made a game for a contest called 66 seconds to save the world which is you got 66 seconds to find an item on the map, or you lose. I'll put a link to it in a spoiler if you wish to see it:

Wow, there are more options than I thought! I really appreciate the help everyone!

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
If you don't mind me asking, what are the plugins. I don't mind spending a couple bucks to help the development.
I don't remember all of them, but they were mostly Yanfly battle system plugins. I think the latest one I bought was Turn Order Display and Visual Hp gauge. But you may not need them at all. It depends of how the fight works in your game or if there's even fights at all.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't remember all of them, but they were mostly Yanfly battle system plugins. I think the latest one I bought was Turn Order Display and Visual Hp gauge. But you may not need them at all. It depends of how the fight works in your game or if there's even fights at all.
I'm inspired more by sad story based games, so I may not need them

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
100% depends on your own dedication. Put in the time each day, and it will go faster, dont, and it wont. its that simple. The better and more complex you want your game to be, the more time it will require.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
100% depends on your own dedication. Put in the time each day, and it will go faster, dont, and it wont. its that simple. The better and more complex you want your game to be, the more time it will require.
This is great advice, thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are a few more general answers to help you calculate what you want to do:

1) Time invested depends on your experience (the more you learn, the faster you work) and the type of game you do (a battle-focused RPG is usually less work than a story focused RPG), but as a general guideline most people say you'll need 100 working hours for each playing hour.

2) Money invested is again depending on what you want. Theoretically you need nothing but the main program, it already has everything needed to make a game.
However especially if you want to sell your game you'll need at least something to make your game stand out in advertising, and that usually means a few custom resources.
And those you can either do yourself (if you're an artist, taking several hundred hours more) or purchase them. And that purchase can cost anything from a few cents (if you wait for a humble bundle sale of resources, which happens 2-3 times per year) to several ten thousand dollars (if you want an exclusive full custom tileset commissioned from a professional artist).

And no, that is no joke - an exclusive full custom tileset usually takes an artist a year to create and is anything but cheap. Which is why most people go for the non-exclusive shop sets, because it's the exclusivity that costs. And then add only a few custom pieces to them.

3) However there is some expense in addition to game making if you want to go commercial.
In that case you usually need a business licence in your town and similiar legal things.
If you want to go that way, you have to check the requirements and costs yourelf (they depend on country and laws), but you should have around 200$ at minimum for legal expanses if you live in a western industrialised country.

Follow the link to the starting point in my signature for more tips like these.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are a few more general answers to help you calculate what you want to do:

1) Time invested depends on your experience (the more you learn, the faster you work) and the type of game you do (a battle-focused RPG is usually less work than a story focused RPG), but as a general guideline most people say you'll need 100 working hours for each playing hour.

2) Money invested is again depending on what you want. Theoretically you need nothing but the main program, it already has everything needed to make a game.
However especially if you want to sell your game you'll need at least something to make your game stand out in advertising, and that usually means a few custom resources.
And those you can either do yourself (if you're an artist, taking several hundred hours more) or purchase them. And that purchase can cost anything from a few cents (if you wait for a humble bundle sale of resources, which happens 2-3 times per year) to several ten thousand dollars (if you want an exclusive full custom tileset commissioned from a professional artist).

And no, that is no joke - an exclusive full custom tileset usually takes an artist a year to create and is anything but cheap. Which is why most people go for the non-exclusive shop sets, because it's the exclusivity that costs. And then add only a few custom pieces to them.

3) However there is some expense in addition to game making if you want to go commercial.
In that case you usually need a business licence in your town and similiar legal things.
If you want to go that way, you have to check the requirements and costs yourelf (they depend on country and laws), but you should have around 200$ at minimum for legal expanses if you live in a western industrialised country.

Follow the link to the starting point in my signature for more tips like these.
O boy, I didn't know all of this was a part of it! Thank you so much for the response- in so many ways you just saved my ass.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
"How long does it take to make full game?"

I've made a full-length (10 hours+) quite ambitious game in 1 month and a half.
A shorter game (around 4 hours) in 2 weeks.
You can be fast if you know what you're doing, where you're going and are used to the software.

"How much money do you think I'd have to spend aside from the main program?"

Anything you want, including 0. You can make a full game just with the main program.
That said I'd recommend to muscle up a bit your game and promo assets with custom (and quality) arts for the heroes.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"How long does it take to make full game?"

I've made a full-length (10 hours+) quite ambitious game in 1 month and a half.
A shorter game (around 4 hours) in 2 weeks.
You can be fast if you know what you're doing, where you're going and are used to the software.

"How much money do you think I'd have to spend aside from the main program?"

Anything you want, including 0. You can make a full game just with the main program.
That said I'd recommend to muscle up a bit your game and promo assets with custom (and quality) arts for the heroes.
Thank you for the answers, very helpful!

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
You're welcome! Good luck and make that first game! B):rock-right:

Azem762

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Albanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As many other people say, many things relate to the time it takes to build-up your own game.

First of all, is the experience of being a game dev. Before I started my projects, I was experimenting around with RPG Maker Vx Ace which took me around 1 year until I learned how to use it. I was trying to do such things as, custom tiles, eventing, using scripts and more...
RPG Maker engines are easy to work with and to bring your imagination to life. Just sometimes you should understand how it works...

Then I started easy. The planning stage of my game. I wrote the plot, character, designed them. Which took me around 2 weeks working on it in my free time.
You should know what you're doing.

The programming, eventing and such is related to your experience and your skills using the engine.

My first game is in hiatus since the prequel is more important to fill the story of the first one.
The demo of the prequel is almost done, which it took me 6-7 months.

Another thing related is teaming up with other people. If you choose to work alone then the time is in your hands, but if not then you should know that the person you're working with can take their time to work. But at the same time, you can finish your work left to do.

Remember many game developers work on their games in their free time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Testing out applying a stroke effect to things at player level to increase visibility. Thoughts?

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPhantom