HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's coming up on twenty years for me. Hard to believe it's been that long and I have yet to finish a coherent game lol. But I've enjoyed playing with the software since the Don Miguel era, from RPG Maker 2000 to MV. I also briefly owned the very, very primitive and barebones RPG Maker for the PlayStation 1 but thought it was lame, even compared to RM2k3 which I was using at the time lol. The 3D ones on the PS2 looked interesting, but the only game retailers in my town like GameStop, Wal-Mart, Target, etc didn't carry it. Which makes sense, since it was so niche, even back in 2003/2004.

MV has its fair share of flaws, but as a longtime veteran of the series, I can confidently say that it's the best version of the PC software yet, having years of experience with all of them. I'm curious to see if the next version is MV Ace or if it'll be a totally new engine written from the ground-up.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
XP version (pirated) for 3 month to test thing out than throw it of my pc,
MV version (original licensed) around 4 month and busymaking my HUD, Menu and stuff and see
how I can make my maps :)

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ever since the illegal 2000 version. I've only really given it a serious go since then with VX Ace, however. After I made a game in 2016(?) using Ace, took me a couple more years to keep at it.
Despite Ace being my old flame, I've played about with every version except 2k3. Absolutely no experience with RM95 or the PSX RM game.

Even 2k3 I've fiddled with in recent years, but not making a game (and mostly looting resources to funnel back into the Steam version of 2000 >_>). Of the versions I've played aside from Ace, the original VX is the most iconic to me; it feels the best of both worlds between 2k and Ace. XP was alright, and the stats are unique enough; first RM to include icons and default physical skills, IIRC? Even if MV wasn't a system I've used for long, I'm likely to try a trial version of whatever RPG Maker comes out in the future.

Also I've got trivial experience with RPG Maker 2 and 3 on the PS2. Returned them to the game store before long, with 3 being exchanged in record time. :v That said I'd unironically try RM2 again if I had a means to?

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I started from RMXP in 2008, Migrated to VX in 2009, then actually serious on doing RM in 2013 using VXAce (the previous time was just me messing around without actually doing something serious). went missing for two years in 2015 ~ late 2017 and then I saw MV was already in 1.5.1. And now I'm here. Still staying in VXAce for its simplicity and various reasons.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Messed around with RPG Maker for Playstation one way back in the day, and then RPG Maker 3 of the PS2. Didn't get serious until 2014 when bought VX Ace.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I owned XP back then in my first PC used it for a while i made a small "4 elemental towers to save the world" final fantasy esque rpg as a test but due to my lack of knowledge about coding or spriting i only had eventing and programming logic going for me, was fun but couldnt do anything i really wanted back then, later i got the PS2 3D one was cool but very limited, then forgot completely about RM until i saw MV.
Been working with MV for the second year now, gotta say its pretty solid for a "you can do a game out of the box" framework, and pretty expandable too, from extra functions to assets, wish i had more time for it though...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since the dinosaurs roamed, and we had RPGMaker BC edition. The things we could do with rocks and wall carvings back then...

In all seriousness, since 2014.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been using RPG Maker on and off for about 5 years now. I'm just now getting to the point where I feel confident enough to try making a serious project. Whether or not I succeed at it is a separate question.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
19 years. 40 games. B)
Respect. *fist bump*

6e36fda1a6273c0174352077e6b187a7.gif

StormCrow A Retrospective:
2000 - RPG Maker Original Playstation - Age 10 - I completed a game. Maybe game should be in quotes but I'm not gonna be that mean to little me. No keyboard peripheral. All dialogue entered, letter by letter, by PS1 controller.
2002 - Discovered RM2k by accident trying to share the above from my PS1 memory card so anyone could actually play it - Age 12. Incidentally, this game, then-called Fires of Freedom, was the basis for Live Free Or Die, making that easily my oldest living/undead project (old enough to vote; not old enoguh to drink lol, in the US anyway). Hilariously enough, I think it was originally set around 2020, which is funny mainly because even as a child I was mocking the Terminator franchise for setting its apocalypse in the "future" of 1997. A failed remake of it in rm2k is one of my first
2003-2006 - Ages 13-16. Sporadic messing around with the engine (switching to Tsukuru 2k3 in year 2k4) and lurking, but mainly playing other people's games and fangirling over them.
2007-2011 - Ages 17-22 - College. Girlfriends. No time for RPG Maker.
2012-2016 Ages 23-27 - The beginning of half a decade of anonymous lurking and incomplete game prototypes. Nothing was released, but at this stage I was somewhat obsessed with
2017 - Age 28 - Joined RMN - began work on first serious project, "Road To Paradise". It's a game about "RTP-land" (Ryntparthaea) being invaded by soldiers from Earth that want to mine its resources. The idea was to release it in two halves. Come to think of it, ever since really diving into the scene, it occurs to me that I've been striving to make games that are all about duality and multiple perspectives...except for any of the ones I actually completed. RTP tells the story from the perspective of a dragon native of Ryntparthea and from the perspective of one of the special forces BAMFs from Earth first sent to explore it. Live Free Or Die aimed/aims to tell the story of the second American revolution both from the perspective of the corporate mercenaries seeking to suppress it and the revolutionaries themselves. Malleus Maleficarum is a story about witches that alternates between the perspectives of the witch and the inquisitors hunting her.
2018 - Age 29 - Released first complete game, a Lovecraftian horror piece based on a Stephen King story, for an event on RMN, prompted by the word "abomination". The Stephen King short story is called "Jerusalem's Lot" (actually mostly unrelated to the far better known "Salem's Lot") and is a youngish Stephen King doing his best HPL impression. The game is called Chapelwaite. The same year, I also released, with JustAShyDoge (who I thought had an account on here, so I wanted to tag him in this, but if he does have an account on here I can't find it) When You Were Young and Doge Saga. Work begins on After Saga, a sequel of sorts to WYWY. After Saga put on hiatus almost immediately after a little under a month of super intense, bordering on obsessive work.
2019 - Age 30 - Either joined this site for the first time or became really involved with it for the first time. Road To Paradise sees its first releases then is cancelled for lack of attention. A ton of effort is poured into Live Free Or Die and I get a very solid first hour or so done...then I realize that continuing to work on a non-commercial game is absolute folly considering my mounting poverty. I switch tracks to Under A Killing Moon (named after the Thrice song ("The blood on our black gloves/It is none of your concern/You want to call our bluff?/Get in line and wait your turn/And watch the witches burn!"). ) which becomes Malleus Maleficarum (NOT named after the AFI song, although I do like AFI and that song in particular, it's just named after the same thing that song is named after) when I discover that Under A Killing Moon is already the title of a popular Tex Murphy Sierra adventure game from the 90s. It is my first project developed for commercial release and thus I have attempted to make sure it contains only assets I legally own and can legally use. Work on Malleus continues through to now.
2020 - "Present Day, Present Time Muahahahaha" (little Serial Experiments Lain reference for you; god what a great show).

So, tl;dr? Also 19 years, also around 40 games...just 95% of those games were never finished or released lol. Hence: mad respect to the creator of Laxius Power.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thank you man. B)
Good luck with Malleus Maleficarum.

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All these replies be "Yeeaah I've played like every rpg maker since 990BC-"

And I was sitting here thinking 2014 with VX was a long time!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2005 or 2006, with XP. Never bothered with VX but switched to Ace after it'd been out for some time. Started with MV as soon as it was available.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I used the program first in Winter 2006/2007 on a friend's computer (first 2000, later XP).
2011 I joined my first RPG Maker board and soon shared my - by that time - embarassing resource edits. It's been a long way xD
Not using the programs for anything but resource testing anymore, but still having fun.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played the first RPG Maker for Playstation many, many years ago; fiddled around with pirated versions of XP and Ace ~10 years or so ago, got serious once I picked up MV a few years ago. 6 games so far, working on my 7th!

Harrumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started with XP when it was fairly new, then a couple of year ago there was a super sale on all of the makers, so I bought all them so I was able to use all the graphic content. ^_^

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All these replies be "Yeeaah I've played like every rpg maker since 990BC-"

And I was sitting here thinking 2014 with VX was a long time!
Newb :p

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're all gonna laugh, but I didn't even know RPG Maker was a computer program until 2014, when someone told me about the humble bundle sale. Before that I thought it was just a creativity toy thing on the PS1 and PS2.

I've had it since then, but I never really used it. I looked up tutorials and played a bunch of stuff from rpgmaker.net, but I couldn't even make up my mind WHAT I wanted to do until 2017 after looking into other softwares for the previous year, and then decided to use 2k3 because I like the eventing better, and I want to have a life outside game design. And then my projects kept changing, so most of what I've done has been to do random pixel art. So, technically...I've been actually using RPG Maker for about a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I thought too much about improve mechanic while forget that I actually just want focus on a simple story.
Is there anyone who would like to resize some of sprites I've got and put them into MV sheet? I'm bad at that kind of things. I want to make a game, but I lack in resources and I'm bad at recolouring them, so my only option was to use a sprite maker from one game (Ive got permission to use it) but these are sprites from VX Ace and I only have MV. So, is there anyone interested in helping me?
Wow! This game looks great! Streaming now :D
Working on a system that allows you to define events in an easy to use text file format!!! Would you use such a thing? 0o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hypermear