How long have you been working on your game?

leusyth

goblin in your pantry
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm curious! I started in December 2019-ish. Taking way longer than expected,lol.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
main game, sory, sketches, UI designs (couple of months, UI for MainMenu, GameEnd
and ItemScene (almost done), mapping slow (busy in RL as well).

side game, main mechanic fully functional, stuff that need to be made to make it
ready to use, slow, but also a couple of month :p

hopefully a tiny demo begin next year of the side game project, main project takes
longer, because more work.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game that I finished was made over the course of about 5 years, but I took many long breaks in between. Counting only activity, it was probably around 6 months of working on it.

Second game, only playable demo, was done in like 2 years, but again with like 6 months of actively working on it.

Third game, finished, took about 2 months to finish it, then another several months of finetuning and updating it to work out bugs and adding extra stuff to it. The last update was done exactly 1 year after the initial release, and not interested in doing more with it.

Current project, started since MZ release and still working on the combat system, setting up skills and passives. Got nothing really else besides it. Combat always takes the most time for me, but it's the thing I find most important as well as most fun to work on.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If we are talking about making games in general, I have been making games since January of 2019. My first game took me 13 months and I made 4 game jam game which I spent 2 weeks on each. My current game I have been working on for a month but, I am finally making some progress with that.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
8 years so far but only because health problems and computer gremlins got in the way

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have one I work on off and on (it's gone from VX to Renpy and then to MV) and currently it's on off mode because the idea's hard. What I'm working on right now I've been at it since June! I just wish I had gotten the idea while I was off work because of current events! I would have had a lot more done since I had a lot of free time. Now I can only relegate weekends to it so it'll take longer than I really want it to take.

EDIT: For the game I have released, SSP took me about a year to do altogether. Wish I had that kind of laser-focus now, haha.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
40 years so far..... LOL.
I actually first started tinkering with game code on an Apple ][ because it had color graphics but never did produce a full game ever. Lots of bits and pieces in various languages on various types of hardware since some of those bits and pieces other people ran with but no clue if any of them actually made any money. BUT I bought RMMV about the 1st of July and spent most of the month doing a tech demo after doing the tutorials to just see what I could do with it and concluded that in a matter of hours I was WAY beyond what a couple of months in Godot or Unity got me. So I've spent about 2 months now and have a decently playable alpha I'm looking at getting some feedback on and could potentially have it basically finished in as little as a month depending on time since I'm still working fulltime. I will note that a German game dev I know has done some play testing of the early stages of my game and told me I was making him look bad at my rate of progress :) But his comments from his play testing gave me VALUABLE info I've used in getting something on the order of 4 hours playtime so far and hopefully fewer bugs than a Bethesda game. I still need to flesh out some stuff and ensure that some of the animations for skills I bashed together are fully implemented so we'll see just how long it will truly take. The biggest issue is every time I do a playthrough and find more bugs I also see more things I want to change or add. In fact my last playthrough my bug list was a LOT shorter than my list of things I wanted to add..........

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd say around a year. I work on it sporadically, not every day. It will get done when it's done.

Featherbrain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have some early character designs and ideas for my current project from around January 2019, but I took most of 2019 off and didn't really start working on it in earnest until around the end of 2019. I've been steadily ramping up production all this year. The quarantine leaves me with not much else to do anyway.

ADMtn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Almost two months on my current project, based on when I made my "games in development" post in early August.

Started with an idea to make a simple, but polished game using only RTP and absolutely no plugins while I waited for MZ to come out (which I would use to make my "real" project). However, after the first few weeks, I decided I wanted a quest log which started a snowball effect of starting to use Yanfly plugins. Roughly around the same time, I began to tweak RTP art assets (making slight adjustments to characters and tilesets), then I began to select new music as I decided to not use any RTP music. Yesterday, I opened up some .js files and made small JavaScript edits because the MV engine and YEP didn't do exactly what I wanted.

I fell down the rabbit hole of customization.

Now MZ is collecting virtual dust while I finish what was supposed to be a throwaway project on MV. Hoping to get this done in less than half a year.

Last edited:

AbstractMan

Forever lost in the Tea Room of Despair
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, my current project started as a table-top system/card game I made around 2018. This is where I designed the combat system, general theme, and *Classes* (If you can call them classes). I started working on the actual RPG maker project of it in early 2019 and I persist on it to this day. Doing custom art and getting the turn-based system to actually work takes a lot of time! Not to mention learning rpg maker as I have never used it before this project.

I have no idea when I will get it done, but this project has become my child and I will make sure she gets a beautifully tragic but no less complete ending.

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think almost ten years, counting in about 3 iterations where I basically just kept the main cast of characters but drastically changed the story around them.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think almost ten years, counting in about 3 iterations where I basically just kept the main cast of characters but drastically changed the story around them.
I am a common practitioner of reusing characters in different setting. However, they have to feel like they fit. The main character of my first game was a character I made a few years prior but my gut told me he would fit into this world perfectly.

Powerise

Fulltime Freelancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About 4 months for each system. I only make mini games for personal entertainment and friends only.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I started August 22th, so slightly above 1 month on and off.
I just make short games/mini-games for fun. Might take 1-2 more months to finish this one because life gets always in the middle.

CHKNRAVE

Surprisingly not sponsored by Yanfly.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something like 6 months. And I recently deleted every map / skill / enemy / equipment to make sure every single part of the game is up to par with the skills I've built up along the way.

I'm in for a long ride, it seems. It's okay.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working on my game for about 2 years. I expect the next ones to take less time as I've learned a LOT!

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since around December of 2019 and I'm only now finishing up the last few maps and story event flow. I need to get better at this! On the bright side, the character skills are all done and mostly where I want them in terms of balance. IF I can ever finish the last two maps, it's just a matter of designing enemies which is of course the fun part. Then the balance pass(es), then the beta, then the release and probably the flop. ;)

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depends on what game we're talking about.

The game/demo thing I'm working on was started in August I believe with another game started in July.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woke up on an awful nightmare of being banned here because some mod didn't liked me in a super-heroes freeform round robin RP where I used throwing normal hammer as power and it was qualified being too OP. XD Nice to read you all guys. Will not wait next nightmares.
Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D
I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewshetty123