How many game controllers have you murdered in your gaming career?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Mr. Detective, Sep 9, 2018.

?

Controller casualties...

1. 0

42.9%
  2. 1

14.3%
  3. 2

8.6%
  4. 3

5.7%
  5. 4 or more

17.1%
  6. Get some help, bruh.

17.1%
  7. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Don't you play some games with controllers? Like fighting games?

So any mouse casualty? I play PC games occasionally, and have actually banged on the keyboard and mouse on my old laptop. Haven't been doing that recently, though. Last year, when I was playing CS, I encountered the last guy on the other team, and had a first shot on him. All of a sudden, my internet connection dropped, and I ended up dying after it reconnected. The whole room asked what the hell I was doing. The router almost died that night. :rolleyes:

That's... better? :stickytongue:

Is this out of rage or they were just broken from tear and wear?

Not sure about the Atari but if I recall correctly, there's no way a NES or SNES controller could be more durable than a PS1 controller. I mean... they are literally thinner and smaller! :eek:

I don't get it, either. Sometimes I question myself: I play games to relax, so why the hell am I getting more stressed out like this? It's true what you said. But again, sometimes things get out of control and rage happens.
    Not like anyone want that. :confused:
    Some games are pretty bs at some parts. They can be unfair and rage inducing, and some of us got caught by those emotional moments, and we implode.

Eh, I guess it's something with keeping myself under control. Maybe after an exhausting day I just want to chill on the sofa, playing some games. But then the game pisses me off even more and all that steam just blew up. But I always try to keep my composure as much as I can, lol. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess it's a quick second of losing all sort of rationality and bam. Not that I deny my own part of the blame or anything.

So you bite your controller instead of smashing them? That'll cost you more to replace your teeth than just buying a new controller. :biggrin:

*Sigh.* Now I feel bad after reading this thread.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While true fighting games can benefit from playing with controllers, fighting games was never be my fave genre of game.

Mr. Detective likes this.
  3. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When it comes to fighting games I prefer a stick however lately is comes down to the game and characters.
    Buttons and stick or stickless(like hitbox or mixbox) are also a thing to consider, you're not getting IL/Happ parts as there really is zero pre-made cases and the only other option would be to gut an x-arcade stick or a 15th anniversary Street Fighter stick which you can drop IL parts into. Don't buy SuzzoHapp as they're not the Happ you remember from 20 years ago...

For me I'm coming to like Seimitsu a lot lately :)
    I have murdered controllers... for science!

4. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Well, the force I applied wasn't enough to hurt my teeth, which is how I found out the controller was flimsy: I had squeezed other controllers with my hands and they withstood it. Now, had I bitten a Gravis Gamepad USB, yeah. I'd be wearing dentures.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like y'all have/had some good parents or are extremely grounded individuals. Me on the other hand, I spent most of my childhood unsupervised and alone, so any rage on controllers went unchecked but it was the NES days and I am pretty sure a NES controller was harder than steel. Never broke one put sent a few into the carpet as hard as I could. SNES was the same, weren't early Nintendo controllers murder weapons from the Clue boardgame? N64, killed the stupid middle joystick of one hurling it across the room. It was never replaced which left me with only one. Didn't play videogames for like a decade. Got into XBOX360 and I have almost sent one of them wireless guys flying but compared to the controllers of my youth, they are cheap and flimsy so that never happened. My best friend on the other hand, killed at least 2 controllers from every system from NES to PS1. I mean like threw across the room went over and curb stomped it until his heels hurt.

6. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Only 1 throughout my 15+ years of gaming and it was more because the wiring was messed up after I pulled on it too much

7. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've never broken any controllers except by wearing out parts on them (especially N64 joysticks... Mario Party players will know exactly what I mean here!)

@Mr. Detective I know what EDF mission you're talking about, assuming that EDF 4.1 is the remaster of 2025 that I think it is.

8. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Um... Is this supposed to be an indirect jab at me? :confused:
    Come to think of it, I rage the most when I'm playing by myself, which is quite often as an adult. :rolleyes:

No. I don't have EDF 4.1. I have the original 2025 game on the PS3. I think the mission order is somewhat different in the enhanced version.

9. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've broken about 7 PS4 controllers and haven't have it for a year

10. BlueWulf

BlueWulf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well i made only one victim so far, however he had to endure both me AND my brother getting frustrated while playing; it still work only, now the directional arrow for down it's kind of loose within the controller. I've always thought that if one had to vent it was better to do so with something that wouldn't have lasting consequences and i found that games, especially difficult ones, worked wonders. Unfortunately i'm also the kind of person that when lose temper do so all at once and explosively so i guess that while i usually just end up swearing and pounding the table, the controller still didn't like how i was gripping it.

That or i did bash it around and i just don't remember, wouldn't be the first time i end up blanking up while i'm angry.

11. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    By my calculations, you would have thus spent about as much money on controllers as I did on my PS4 Pro console. That's insane.

Arisa and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  12. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    4 or more for me. Everyone because of Fifa. Even now I still feel like hoping the control off the ground over that game when I play FUT Champions, I'm not an angry guy but that game and me shall never be friends, I pretty much refuse to play weekend league or play the game competitively because when I do, I'm a bad influence for my kids.

It's actually mental, because I'm the least angry guy in the world. I mean I get punched in the face at kickboxing (sometimes when I'm doing security) and I hold my temper, never get angry. Put me on that game and I get so angry so fast and for the life of me I have no clue why...

13. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0. As a fairly even-tempered person, I just sigh and stop playing games for awhile if they start frustrating me. Smashing up hardware in response to said frustration is an illogical, animalistic response that doesn't solve anything.

The closest I ever got a time in WoW where I found the Time-Lost Proto Drake, but boogered something up and failed to properly slowfall when I pulled it. I fell to my death, came back, and saw that some rando had gotten it. I took my frustration out by punching my bed, an object I knew I could neither damage nor injure myself by striking. So yeah. ;)

14. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lord have mercy upon my wretched soul... I have destroyed quite a few in my time... however, most were by complete accident and others were by wear and tear--though mostly at the wrong time.

Here's a story you might enjoy.

I was playing counter-strike some years back. Was on the phone with my girlfriend. Had to do some training, my team had a tourney to get to in Austin. Now--before I continue... I am afraid of nothing, no man, no animal... except one thing that frightens me to my absolute core...

cockroaches.

So am playin'; having a wonderful conversation with my girlfriend, don't recall what about, but certain it was wonderful. Anyway--as I speak to her I feel my bug radar going off--look over to my right... and right there, crawling... on my little tv table.

Huge--monstrous... gigantic... so large, like whoa... looking right at me.

A roach.

I stood up as fast as I could, girlfriend asking what happened (she heard me scream my face off.) Told her there was an intruder upon me. I remember scanning for weapons... nothing. No boots in sight, I had already broken my broom from an encounter a previous night--was just me--and him.

Little turd decided he was gonna strike--started to fly. I felt my life flash before my eyes.

When I came to--he was no longer among the living... I was victorious... but it was at a major loss...

You see--I had grabbed my keyboard (it was an expensive one too... one of those light up Razer ones, real nice...) and I slammed that roach with it, multiple times it seems. There was nothing left but large chunks of plastic and an eerie dead glow from my once beautiful keyboard.

I may have won the battle--but I most certainly lost the war... girlfriend never let me forget it neither... she was British and I can still hear her in the back of my mind "E's gonna kill ya! Beh-er run, love!"

Also accidentally ran a ps3 controller over with my truck... though not as epic a story.

BlueWulf likes this.
  15. FrozenNorseman

FrozenNorseman Shivering Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't throw tantrums or voice my anger at a game, I just seethe with an inner rage and grumble in my beard.

When I was younger my voice would climb several octaves when things went really bad in games, but I've matured (yeah, right) to the point where I am now able to put down my controller, push my mouse away or place my phone somewhere else and take a deep breath.

I still get mad. And occasional I have been known to slam my fist down in a table when my XCOM character misses the third shot with a 95% hit chance in a row. But I don't destroy anything (I'd have to pay for it on my own after all). And I've never broken a controller myself.

Leave a controller unattended next to a 1-year-old boy with a habit of slobbering and chewing on everything in reach on the other hand - that I have done. Which is why I now have two controllers. One with bitemarks and a wobbly stick, and one without.

16. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Lion/Fox Hybrid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If we are counting handhelds, about 4 or 5. And the cause of every single one of their deaths were usually accidental drops that led to 'shattered' screens or weak and fragile hinges finally break from overuse..... I never rage quit externally, just internally.

Now, MP3 players on the other hand...
    *points to the pile of 30+ trashed MP3 players in the distance*

17. Bone

Bone Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I never murder any controllers, but when I was younger I did took my rage on an n64 cartridge.

18. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I think 2-5, Im not sure, most of them accidental.

19. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I haven't really thrown any tantrums but I am the worst for knocking controllers off the couch or table.
    In total, since about the SNES (yeah, I'm that old), I've broken at least 10 controllers. Majority of those have been Xbox controllers as they seem a lot more flimsy then other controllers... or I just might be rougher then I think on them.