How many game controllers have you murdered in your gaming career?

Controller casualties...

• Total voters

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Playing PC games with keyboard and mouse in all my life career, I murder no controllers.

Don't you play some games with controllers? Like fighting games?

I'm in the same group as Theoallen, no murdered controllers yet as I spent most of my life on PC with Mouse and Keyboard. Though I do remember a monitor almost getting it once, but that was because it was almost dead anyways (the only reason I was still using it was because I was just being cheap and trying to get a few extra months out of it) so I didn't care too much what happened to it.

So any mouse casualty? I play PC games occasionally, and have actually banged on the keyboard and mouse on my old laptop. Haven't been doing that recently, though. Last year, when I was playing CS, I encountered the last guy on the other team, and had a first shot on him. All of a sudden, my internet connection dropped, and I ended up dying after it reconnected. The whole room asked what the hell I was doing. The router almost died that night. :rolleyes:

I've never broken any controllers...any things that stopped working were just from overuse, haha. I have kicked out a small window before in anger, though.

That's... better? :stickytongue:

Me and my brothers together have destroyed about 5-6 controllers. Some PS2, some Xbox 360... Also destroyed a Namco game console, which technically counts as a controller since the whole thing was one unit (controller + console).

Wow, so now I know it's my fault and not that the controllers are made to die about 2-3 years after they're made.

Is this out of rage or they were just broken from tear and wear?

I grew up with the Atari and Nes so I kind of got used to taking out my frustrations on the controller. Those things were tanks, though, and could take a beating. Fast forward to PS1 and 2 era and I murdered quite a few.

Not sure about the Atari but if I recall correctly, there's no way a NES or SNES controller could be more durable than a PS1 controller. I mean... they are literally thinner and smaller! :eek:

I've broken them through regular use a couple times but not because a game makes me emotionally unstable and I break them in a rage.

No, I usually take out my frustrations on a punching bag or by lifting weights, used to take them out on human volunteers in mma matches before I busted up my knee. Ill just straight out quit a game long before I get to a point where I feel like getting physically violent or anything. The whole reaction makes no sense, if your entertainment is making you that flustered then it ceases to be entertainment entirely.

I don't get it, either. Sometimes I question myself: I play games to relax, so why the hell am I getting more stressed out like this? It's true what you said. But again, sometimes things get out of control and rage happens.
Not like anyone want that. :confused:
Some games are pretty bs at some parts. They can be unfair and rage inducing, and some of us got caught by those emotional moments, and we implode.

Never. Also I can't understand this.
As videogames being my passion, my love.. how could I possibly do this?
Yes, also can get annoyed etc.. I am also getting annoyed at times by my kids.. would I smash them for this? - Never.
So imho either you don't care enough for those things if you destroy them.. or you have a way too much money.. or you have a problem, keeping yourself under control.

- talking here about breaking them in rage, not because of "normal use"

Just to be clear, I don't intent to compare controllers with kids.
I just give this example to explain, that it is actually possible to keep urself under control if you care enough.

Eh, I guess it's something with keeping myself under control. Maybe after an exhausting day I just want to chill on the sofa, playing some games. But then the game pisses me off even more and all that steam just blew up. But I always try to keep my composure as much as I can, lol. :rolleyes:

I'm with Henryetha, I don't understand being so emotionally out of joint that you can no longer choose to control yourself on some level. To me that would require a pattern of behavior where I am consistently removing myself from accountability, blaming that emotional overload or action on someone or something else. I would be reacting instead of acting, being buffeted around by everyone else's actions instead being the person who decides what I am doing. I vastly prefer to be more in control in my own life, and don't understand it when others make different choices. Life is unpredictable enough, why shouldn't I do everything I can to take charge of the things that I can take charge of?

That doesn't mean I don't know what it's like to be overwhelmed by emotion. Like I mentioned before, I'm bipolar. An external emotion pounding down on me and distorting my view of reality is a very common thing. But I've always, on some level, had a choice.

Well, I guess it's a quick second of losing all sort of rationality and bam. Not that I deny my own part of the blame or anything.

Two, but they were really, really cheaply-made PC controllers and they somehow stopped responding, probably because of something that Windows XP was doing. The remarkable thing is that they broke because I put them in my mouth and bit with force in my anger, shattering the plastic.

So you bite your controller instead of smashing them? That'll cost you more to replace your teeth than just buying a new controller. :biggrin:

*Sigh.* Now I feel bad after reading this thread.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Don't you play some games with controllers? Like fighting games?
While true fighting games can benefit from playing with controllers, fighting games was never be my fave genre of game.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
When it comes to fighting games I prefer a stick however lately is comes down to the game and characters.
Buttons and stick or stickless(like hitbox or mixbox) are also a thing to consider, you're not getting IL/Happ parts as there really is zero pre-made cases and the only other option would be to gut an x-arcade stick or a 15th anniversary Street Fighter stick which you can drop IL parts into. Don't buy SuzzoHapp as they're not the Happ you remember from 20 years ago...

For me I'm coming to like Seimitsu a lot lately :)
I have murdered controllers... for science!

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
So you bite your controller instead of smashing them? That'll cost you more to replace your teeth than just buying a new controller. :biggrin:

Well, the force I applied wasn't enough to hurt my teeth, which is how I found out the controller was flimsy: I had squeezed other controllers with my hands and they withstood it. Now, had I bitten a Gravis Gamepad USB, yeah. I'd be wearing dentures.

Last edited:

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like y'all have/had some good parents or are extremely grounded individuals. Me on the other hand, I spent most of my childhood unsupervised and alone, so any rage on controllers went unchecked but it was the NES days and I am pretty sure a NES controller was harder than steel. Never broke one put sent a few into the carpet as hard as I could. SNES was the same, weren't early Nintendo controllers murder weapons from the Clue boardgame? N64, killed the stupid middle joystick of one hurling it across the room. It was never replaced which left me with only one. Didn't play videogames for like a decade. Got into XBOX360 and I have almost sent one of them wireless guys flying but compared to the controllers of my youth, they are cheap and flimsy so that never happened. My best friend on the other hand, killed at least 2 controllers from every system from NES to PS1. I mean like threw across the room went over and curb stomped it until his heels hurt.

FluffexStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only 1 throughout my 15+ years of gaming and it was more because the wiring was messed up after I pulled on it too much

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never broken any controllers except by wearing out parts on them (especially N64 joysticks... Mario Party players will know exactly what I mean here!)

@Mr. Detective I know what EDF mission you're talking about, assuming that EDF 4.1 is the remaster of 2025 that I think it is.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sounds like y'all have/had some good parents or are extremely grounded individuals. Me on the other hand, I spent most of my childhood unsupervised and alone, so any rage on controllers went unchecked

Um... Is this supposed to be an indirect jab at me? :confused:
Come to think of it, I rage the most when I'm playing by myself, which is quite often as an adult. :rolleyes:

I've never broken any controllers except by wearing out parts on them (especially N64 joysticks... Mario Party players will know exactly what I mean here!)

@Mr. Detective I know what EDF mission you're talking about, assuming that EDF 4.1 is the remaster of 2025 that I think it is.

No. I don't have EDF 4.1. I have the original 2025 game on the PS3. I think the mission order is somewhat different in the enhanced version.

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've broken about 7 PS4 controllers and haven't have it for a year

BlueWulf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well i made only one victim so far, however he had to endure both me AND my brother getting frustrated while playing; it still work only, now the directional arrow for down it's kind of loose within the controller. I've always thought that if one had to vent it was better to do so with something that wouldn't have lasting consequences and i found that games, especially difficult ones, worked wonders. Unfortunately i'm also the kind of person that when lose temper do so all at once and explosively so i guess that while i usually just end up swearing and pounding the table, the controller still didn't like how i was gripping it.

That or i did bash it around and i just don't remember, wouldn't be the first time i end up blanking up while i'm angry.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
4 or more for me. Everyone because of Fifa. Even now I still feel like hoping the control off the ground over that game when I play FUT Champions, I'm not an angry guy but that game and me shall never be friends, I pretty much refuse to play weekend league or play the game competitively because when I do, I'm a bad influence for my kids.

It's actually mental, because I'm the least angry guy in the world. I mean I get punched in the face at kickboxing (sometimes when I'm doing security) and I hold my temper, never get angry. Put me on that game and I get so angry so fast and for the life of me I have no clue why...

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
0. As a fairly even-tempered person, I just sigh and stop playing games for awhile if they start frustrating me. Smashing up hardware in response to said frustration is an illogical, animalistic response that doesn't solve anything.

The closest I ever got a time in WoW where I found the Time-Lost Proto Drake, but boogered something up and failed to properly slowfall when I pulled it. I fell to my death, came back, and saw that some rando had gotten it. I took my frustration out by punching my bed, an object I knew I could neither damage nor injure myself by striking. So yeah. ;)

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lord have mercy upon my wretched soul... I have destroyed quite a few in my time... however, most were by complete accident and others were by wear and tear--though mostly at the wrong time.

Here's a story you might enjoy.

I was playing counter-strike some years back. Was on the phone with my girlfriend. Had to do some training, my team had a tourney to get to in Austin. Now--before I continue... I am afraid of nothing, no man, no animal... except one thing that frightens me to my absolute core...

cockroaches.

So am playin'; having a wonderful conversation with my girlfriend, don't recall what about, but certain it was wonderful. Anyway--as I speak to her I feel my bug radar going off--look over to my right... and right there, crawling... on my little tv table.

Huge--monstrous... gigantic... so large, like whoa... looking right at me.

A roach.

I stood up as fast as I could, girlfriend asking what happened (she heard me scream my face off.) Told her there was an intruder upon me. I remember scanning for weapons... nothing. No boots in sight, I had already broken my broom from an encounter a previous night--was just me--and him.

Little turd decided he was gonna strike--started to fly. I felt my life flash before my eyes.

When I came to--he was no longer among the living... I was victorious... but it was at a major loss...

You see--I had grabbed my keyboard (it was an expensive one too... one of those light up Razer ones, real nice...) and I slammed that roach with it, multiple times it seems. There was nothing left but large chunks of plastic and an eerie dead glow from my once beautiful keyboard.

I may have won the battle--but I most certainly lost the war... girlfriend never let me forget it neither... she was British and I can still hear her in the back of my mind "E's gonna kill ya! Beh-er run, love!"

Also accidentally ran a ps3 controller over with my truck... though not as epic a story.

FrozenNorseman

Shivering
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't throw tantrums or voice my anger at a game, I just seethe with an inner rage and grumble in my beard.

When I was younger my voice would climb several octaves when things went really bad in games, but I've matured (yeah, right) to the point where I am now able to put down my controller, push my mouse away or place my phone somewhere else and take a deep breath.

I still get mad. And occasional I have been known to slam my fist down in a table when my XCOM character misses the third shot with a 95% hit chance in a row. But I don't destroy anything (I'd have to pay for it on my own after all). And I've never broken a controller myself.

Leave a controller unattended next to a 1-year-old boy with a habit of slobbering and chewing on everything in reach on the other hand - that I have done. Which is why I now have two controllers. One with bitemarks and a wobbly stick, and one without.

JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Neighborhood Shapeshifter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
If we are counting handhelds, about 4 or 5. And the cause of every single one of their deaths were usually accidental drops that led to 'shattered' screens or weak and fragile hinges finally break from overuse..... I never rage quit externally, just internally.

Now, MP3 players on the other hand...
*points to the pile of 30+ trashed MP3 players in the distance*

Bone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never murder any controllers, but when I was younger I did took my rage on an n64 cartridge.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think 2-5, Im not sure, most of them accidental.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I haven't really thrown any tantrums but I am the worst for knocking controllers off the couch or table.
In total, since about the SNES (yeah, I'm that old), I've broken at least 10 controllers. Majority of those have been Xbox controllers as they seem a lot more flimsy then other controllers... or I just might be rougher then I think on them.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

since all my maps are hand drawn... I admit, I super envy those who can make the tileset's work. I'm garbage at mapping, but slightly less bad at just drawing my own areas. plus it's easier to draw my own sprites than edit others to look like my characters.
Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->
working on some tilesets _ノ乙(、ン、)_

CIBl8xT.png

Oq8WKHX.png
aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CPGPPC