How many maps...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parallax Panda, Jul 11, 2019.

?

What’s the TOTAL number of maps in your game?

1. Less than 20.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. 21~40 in total.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 41~60 in total.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 61~90 in total.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. 91-150 in total.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. More than 150 maps.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    ...do you have in your finished projects? If you’ve not finished a game yet you can make an estimation. And to contextualize the information a bit more, what’s the average size of those maps?

I got curious as to how many maps most people put in their games before they’re satisfied and call it a day, which is why I made this thread. I’m aware the easiest answer is ”as many as is needed”, but that’s also not very interesting or useful so please avoid it.

In my case, I’ve never finished a game so I have to estimate but I usually aim for ~20-30 large maps (50x50 ~ 80x80 in size) with maybe ~50 smaller maps, usually no larger than one screen. The majority of the smaller maps being insides of houses in towns and such. In case anyone thinks that’s a low number, keep in mind that I’ve never tried to make an epic 20+ hours game and always aimed for something like 6-7 hours of playtime.

A typical village or town for me would require 1 large map and 4-8 smaller maps. A dungeon would be 2-4 larger maps.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Book of Shadows hit 400+ maps. Some of that was because I broke up my towns and bigger dungeons into multiple maps, and I also used some special versions of the maps just for cutscenes. Also I have 50 secret rooms to find and each one of them got their own map.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    On checking my 4 released games I have (starting with the first and moving forward)
    189; 268; 311; 245
    I'm not sure how many there will be for my current project. So far I am up to 68, and the end is not in sight.

These are for games in the 12-15 hours range for me. Obviously for the player it could be more, as I know what I'm doing, or less if they don't do all/any of the optional content. The number of maps includes the secret rooms and a fair number of small interiors.

Parallax Panda and Indinera like this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My complete game, a dungeon crawler, consists of 5 stages with 3 maps each, plus other few hidden maps, iirc it was 8. And that's the playable map. The rest is a container map for event cloning, two for intro scene, one for ending, and one for testing. Still, I'm inclined to say 23 even though it's actually 27.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  5. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Anywhere from 50 to 900. :ninja::rock-right:

6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @bgillisp
    400+ is quite a lot I must say. I can't see myself making such a huge game since I tend to get lost in mapping and a single large map can take me anywhere from 1-3 days to complete depending on circumstances (a lot of polishing going on). And spending something like 5-600 days on just making maps seems... I dunno. Like I'd never finish that game.

Speaking of...

@Indinera

900 maps? You crazy (not meant in an offensive way)? Unless it was all one-screen sized maps that followed a similar style and design, like say it was rooms for a random dungeon crawler, I can't even imagine going that far. You'd be very close to the limit of RM as well with it's 999 maps being the absolute max. And checking all those maps for bugs and stuff would be a nightmare... :kaoback:

Makes me curious about that one game with 50 maps though. On the contrary, 50 maps in total (large and small I assume), seems like a rather short game in comparison?

@TheoAllen
    ~27 maps seems very, very doable. A good amount for a first game probably. But my gut feeling says it's probably too few for any kind of game I'd like to make myself. Althoguh soon someone will probably come in here and say "1", because they made the "One-map Challenge". :kaojoy:

@Kes
    That's a lot of maps in all of those games. And except the last one it seems the number has just increased over time? What about map size and complexity though? Do you have a lot of larger sprawling maps in those games or is there a lot of simple and small maps that fills out the ranks? If not, it's very impressive.

7. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, that wasn't planned for a big game, for 2-3 hours of gameplay that someone somehow stretched the playtime to 4 hours and at maximum 8 hours, I don't even know how. Also, mind that one map is quite big, usually 60x60 to 80x80, so you probably need around 40 minutes to one hour each stage. including battle and getting lost.

8. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    @Parallax Panda I've made some pretty big games in the past. I also made many.
    I'd have to check but I probably have a game with abour 50 maps, maybe just a bit more. The length would be smth like 10 hours I guess.

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Parallax Panda : Most of my maps I try to keep them 45 x 45 or less. If it is larger and it won't look hideous I break it up into two maps. There are exceptions though, I have a 140 x 140 underwater dungeon, which that did take 3 days to map.

And yes it took a long time. There's a reason I joke my next game is going to be in a desert. Nothing but sand for the maps.

10. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    I'd have to check how many maps I've made in total, but that's between 5000 and 10000 for sure.
    As for the average size of them, this is hard to determine and would need further checking (and calculating).
    Might give it a go if I get a couple of hours to spare. :D

11. Hermoni

Hermoni Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    The only game I finished was a really REALLY little game and was... 4 maps xD

But my actual project, I calculated an estimate and should be around 100 maps.
    And at start, was only a little project to increase my skill in script before made anything for my main project.

12. Meike

Meike ||Telling Stories Through Games|| Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well Yu has 23 maps, however only 20 of them are playable maps. One is a 'gamestart' map to setup the game, one is a splash screen map, and the other is a cutscene.
    Pretty small, as Well Yu was designed to be a short, small game, all maps are small too. Most set to be 17w x 19h

The game I'm currently working on, I'm not sure how many maps that will get, but a lot more than 20, but probably still under 100.

13. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My current project has 92 maps, and that's just in 3 city districts. I plan to have at least 6-8 districts, maybe even more if ideas are bountiful.
    A lot of the current maps are building interiors (such as apartment floors and individual rooms), and about 9 or 10 which are old maps (that I am not using, but still have things I want to keep on them). So far, my project has about 4 hours of gameplay if you do all the included side quests. I am really trying to get it "demo ready", but work still needs to be done on it.

14. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    My current main project has 98 maps. Most of them are small maps though.
    As for finished projects, my first IGMC project had 23 maps and my second one only had 5 maps.

15. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first finished game has 47 maps, despite being a fairly small game. There's a lot of small areas that are quite different from each other, and interiors quickly inflate map count.

For my last finished game, RTP, I've got 77 maps. Hugely inflated number considering the small size of the game, due to going for a single screen map gimmick as well as randomising map lay-out for each playthrough. In a single playthrough, you'll see about 10-15 maps total.

Normally, I like to make my maps quite large since I don't like transfers, so anytime I can fit the whole area on a single map without limiting myself with the tile set too much, I'll go for that instead of splitting it up.

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Indinera I've just checked LP3 because in RM2K the map limit was higher. It has a total of 1101 maps. But this is a huuuuge game, so I'm not surprised.

@Parallax Panda The 3rd game was particularly big because the player had to follow 2 separate parties for a lot of the game, so that made the game structurally bigger. In the 4th game I went for larger maps in some areas, which reduced the overall total somewhat. In general even my smaller maps are 'complex' in the sense that there is quite a bit of detail in them (which for me takes a lot of time) as well as in the sense of structurally complex, often with multiple exits. As I also make it so that you can walk behind walls and houses, that adds to mapping time as I can't just use autotiles for everything and be done with it.

Parallax Panda and Indinera like this.
  17. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    @Kes
    Thanks for checking it out, yes that was probably my biggest game ever and some of these maps were even pretty huge themselves.
    All in all the total count is probably leaning towards 10k maps since the beginning. B):rock-right:

18. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My game has about 70 maps, but it's mainly for technical reasons.

The original build had about 15 maps, but 6 of the maps (which were each 17 by about 250 tiles) are long chains of Action Games, and in order to keep performance semi-smooth (since I'm using parallax mapping now, and many of the action games require 50+ events), I split each of those maps up into singular action game maps (most around 17 x 30; a few with a lot of movement around 17 x 100), including enough of the map before and after the game so that the player can transition seamlessly from one map to another, appearing like one big map.

Then, I created "Arcade" versions of all of those Action Game maps, so that the player can play them individually for score.

Essentially, 6 maps became 60 for technical reasons.

Parallax Panda and VitaliaDi like this.
  19. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na . . . Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    5 huge ones ( 100x100 and 255x155) and a few small ones for specific events I can't have in these maps.

20. VitaliaDi

VitaliaDi Jedi Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My 1.5 hour horror game Burden has around 70 maps of varying sizes.
    And my little 5 minute game has 4 lol I made that one for a week long game jam.