How many maps...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parallax Panda, Jul 11, 2019.

?

What’s the TOTAL number of maps in your game?

1. Less than 20.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. 21~40 in total.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 41~60 in total.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 61~90 in total.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. 91-150 in total.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. More than 150 maps.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. woootbm

woootbm Super Sand Legend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Oni Sellsword is 12 maps (one of them is a testing map) and is only an hour and a half game. Funny enough, only 3 of those maps allow the player to actually walk around and do stuff. Guess I couldn't manage to tell a story without showing the player around the world, heh. If I remember correctly, they are usually around 30x30 in total size (like 50x21, 25x40, 40x40). I only have one map that is tiny, but none of them are "huge".

My next game will probably be around 100 maps, looking at the script I have. It's just a question of how much I can use the same locations. In some cases, too, an area that is revisited will need to be different enough to require a new map. I think the sizes will be about the same size as my finished game, too. I'm doing a very linear story where the player essentially plays through traditional "levels" rather than open world exploration.

But to answer the question of being "satisfied" with the amount of maps? Well, really just planning. I have a script already written out that determines where the player goes and such, and I fill the maps with content. If anything, I'm cutting content where I think things are getting dragged out. So I'm not really looking at it in terms of trying to figure out an arbitrary quota. I'm just putting out all the ideas I have, getting them to work together and make sense in planning, and then cutting out the worst bits. All in service of a predetermined story and plan.

Marquise* and Parallax Panda like this.
  2. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My current project, I estimate it may be somewhere between 90 to 125 maps. But Im also using a lot of events and pictures to give a first person visual novel style in some places (inns, shops, and such) which means I can create a whole town in one small map. There is a space map, up to 300 different star systems but in reality its just one map with variables, and the same goes for the planets, except specific areas that are completely handmade. Also chose to just use one tileset; decided to use GIMP to put my favorite tiles in just one tileset. Faster load times. Figured there was a lot I never use, so...

Parallax Panda likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Parallax Panda While this thread is interesting, I am wondering whether it is a discussion topic. Is there something that you would like to draw out from this data that you would want us to discuss, rather than just indicating what we have done/are doing?

4. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Indinera
    10 hours for a 50 maps would mean those maps are pretty big though right? Maybe mostly dungeon floors and stuff?

This is an unrelated question but it seems to me like you made a lot of games before, several a year even. But as of late you're not making a lot of new games? Did you burn out on map-making maybe?

@bgillisp
    Even desert maps could be a pain. You'd run into problems of making each map unique with just sand and stone tiles. Maybe a palm tree or two. :D

@Kes
    What is LP3?

Also sure. I admit the main purpose for creating the thread was pure curiosity regarding how many maps people usually make for their games, as I wanted some average number to compare towards when planning my own projects. I guess we could build onto that.

Related question(s) for deeper discussion: Putting aside what you've actually made for your own games. What would you consider a good number of maps (and map sizes) to keep in mind (or aim for) when planning, not a short, experimental or jam-related game, but a "serious" project? And why is that (motivate your answers)? Is there a sweet spot? Is there a certain map size you'd rather not go above or below?

5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Laxius Power 3?

EDIT:
    The number of maps is just as arbitrary as how many stat digits you're using. Some also serve as technical implementation. So I don't think a number of map would be a valid topic discussion. And map size still depends on how wide is your view. For example, the medium size of the map will look bigger in limited visibility or when it's zoomed in. Although, I can't exactly answer the actual map size.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For those wondering, an easy way to count your maps is $dataMapInfos.length in the debug console. Mine has 73 so far. I expect between 90 and 100 by the time it's done. It'd probably be less, but my first few areas have a new map for every room while my later ones bundle things together better, like all town interiors in a single map.

3 of the maps don't really count though. One is the new game landing zone which immediately transitions to the proper area after initializing some things, one is my test room, and the last one is full of event templates used by yanfly's event copier.

7. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @TheoAllen
    All reasonable points. Of course the optimal number of maps for each game is arbitrary and there is no perfect answer. I still think it can be discussed though, even if you wont get a solid, precise number out of the discussion, it might be possible to see a pattern emerge.

I'd also argue that your example of stat digits isn't a good comparison since without more information, the only information you can get from that is if you like to look at big or small numbers. In my game 100HP might be the same as 1000HP in your game, without knowing the damage formulas it's just an practical or aesthetic choice.

The number of playable maps (maybe I should have emphasized that?) does tell you something about length of the game, as well as the dev time that would have to go into it. If we also got the size, or at least average size, of those maps then the information becomes a lot less ambiguous.

As for the resolution, sure that plays a part. But I'm assuming most people use a resolution between MV's default up to maybe 1080p - or something close to it. And the walking speed for most RM games is probably what's standard in the engine, give or take. For most games made in RM I'd say you don't really need to factor in these things when discussing map size.

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Parallax Panda and @TheoAllen
    Laxius Power it is, a free game (third in a trilogy) made with RM2k.
    Not to be confused with the commercial trilogy Laxius Force, which took the story onwards.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Parallax Panda and Indinera like this.
  9. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Since Im developing primarily a web game (RPG MV) I try to keep map sizes below 60x60 (as the very biggest) to help avoid hiccups in slower machines / web browsers. Games intended to be downloaded in Windows, performance wise, can probably get away with maps of up to 100x100. Bigger than that is probably way too much anyways...

10. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Actually Laxius Force 3 also has close to 999 maps. B):rock-right:

Probably big maps with a lot of content. I'd have to check but I'm not on my work PC right now.

I've got 2 minimum scheduled this year, both just waiting for proofreading from my partner. :ninja:

Slight one but to tell you the truth it has more to do with the RTP being more or less the same thing each time since VX came out (VX - Ace - MV), it does get uninspiring after a while. New material immediately refills me with a surge of inspiration. Sure there are tilesets packages but rarely (if ever) as complete as a full RTP set.

11. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually, this is my point, stat number is arbitrary. Just as how many maps as your game need. You probably need one town map and 4 interiors for a different house. I probably map it as 1 exterior and 1 interior since I clamped together all interior in a single map. And it still serves the same purpose and achieving the same goal. Map number is a technical reason. Player won't be seeing it, nor they care. Probably the more valid topic to discuss is how many transfer map you want to be in your game? just as you suggested.

Personally, I find it's more bearable to walk when I know where to walk. So even with the default speed and the map is so big, I don't mind walking through it. Now if your visibility is limited, it does feel like it takes forever to walk and you don't know where are you going. I'm not talking about the resolution. Because limiting visibility is caused by many factors. As I mentioned, if the game is zoomed in, the visibility will be reduced. Or when you literally have limited visibility like the darkness. So you can only see the player sprite and its surrounding. Even I got lost in my own map because of that.