How many people here use or know about Bitcoin?

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! Just out of pure curiosity, how many of you here use or know about Bitcoin?   I got into it (a bit as a hobby) in early 2014.  How about DogeCoin? (an alt-coin that can be exchanged for bitcoin).  Just wondered if this subject is widely known within the RPG Maker community, nothing more.  :)

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've listened to a lot of discussion about it. Personally, I find the volatility of it's value over the years intimidating, but interesting. Besides that. cryptocurrency seems to be a good thing to move toward. Anonymous transactions and independence from banks is desirable. Should it become more mainstream and reliable I just might use it one day. 

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm willing to invest in the bitcoin market but i'm still afraid of gettin backstabbed wile doing so.

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I like the concept of bitcoin, but I personally never used this kind of currency. It's too unreliable IMO; I prefer mid/low-risk investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, I know about it, but I wouldn't use it, at least in the foreseeable future.  As a non-sovereign currency, it is too easily manipulated, too volatile and with nothing behind it to make it a secure store of value.  It also has some pretty seedy associations with payments in the dark web, and I wouldn't want to be associated with that, even remotely.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yup, played around with a bit 6~7 years ago due to the interesting cryptotheory and algorithms behind it.

Considering how it is behaving I prefer thinking about Bitcoins as a resource akin to Gold or Oil.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've tinkered with it back in my hacking days but after i got the man knocking on my door i had to destroy everything including the mining bots. I would've been rich by now... ?

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Ummm...

BITCOIN!?

Oh yeah, that's a damn good way to get in trouble with the Internal Revenue Services (IRS).

I actually was in quite a bit of hot water with them concerning a bitcoin account that I personally never had (but thanks to this I realized that my identity had been stolen), and if it weren't for the fact that I could prove that the account wasn't mine, I wouldn't be here typing this right now because I'd be in prison...

And with that, I must inform you that I omitted a four thousand word rant right there, filled with all sorts of colorful words.

F*CK BITCOIN, and to HELL with all those *******S that steal from the struggling people; steal from the rich you DUMBASSES! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

*ahem* I've got a sudden date with a punching bag, if you'll excuse me...

mightYXu

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Mined for a couple of weeks when bitcoin was relatively obscure and it was still viable to use your PC to do so.

A couple of years later when the BC prices spiked i reopened my forgotten account and discovered that i had 3 coins laying around.

O happy days...

Randy295

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I do know a bit of what bitcoin is..but I may have forgotten and I would probably love to spend some time researching about the bitcoin---it's origins and stuff because I dunno, it could fascinate me.

Mavlico

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
At least bitcoin continues to grow in the long term and this makes it possible to make money. If you look at the current https://bikkex.com/exchange/BTC-USDT bitcoin rate, you can assume that there will be further growth. What do you think?

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still think that the volatility means that a lot of people who can't afford it are going to get burned.

Since this thread was started another major issue (imo) has got attention, and that is the terrible effects it has on the environment. Mining for bitcoin uses a phenomenal amount of energy, the carbon released is equivalent to that of a small country. It is not possible (again, imo) to view this subject from a purely individualistic PoV. Ofc it's not just bitcoin, there are the other cyrpto currencies as well, all of which have the same issues. They are not something that I want to be associated with.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really by age I'm an old-ass millenial or a really young gen Xer but as involves the existence of bitcoin, dogecoin, cryptocurrency in general, I am of a boomerish mindset: I understand none of these things, I feel like they're entirely outside of my ability to comprehend, I will have nothing to do with them, they are for people younger than me/"young people stuff" I never have understood/will never need to understand.

HankB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know that bitcoin is the main reason I can't upgrade my computer with a decent CPU.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I have some money to throw out of the window, I plan to spend a bit on bitcoin or shares.
But I have to read me in first or it would be probably just a waste of money.
Its always good to look for alternatives to make money.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My personal tactic for accumulating wealth in the world destroying currency is to focus on coins and not the actual portfolio! (until of course, the grand day of cashing out occurs, which may be 1, 2 or even 3 years from now, praise be to the altar)

I get my gains by positively converting instead of leaving the market to buy back in. This has greatly increased my gains and erased my stress levels! My room mate however, he still leaves the market to buy back in. He has lost thousands this way and is now sad I've caught up with him. :(

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name." —Revelation 13:11–18

HankB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess if I had a time machine, it would be tempting to go back to 2009 and buy 100,000 bitcoins for $80 (which is about how much money I had back then). I would have $4,164,200,000 now.

But, of course, there's always the Butterfly Effect, so instead of becoming a billionaire, I might just get killed in World War 5.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmem