How many random encounters would you like per dungeon (not including bosses)?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by atoms, Jul 7, 2018.

?

How many random encounters would you like per dungeon (not including bosses)?

1. 5 or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-7

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 8-10

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 11-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 13-15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. More than 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a question that has been on my mind a lot lately, what the amount of encounters players prefer with each dungeon in the game. So I decided to make a poll and discussion about it, I think it could be useful for a lot of developers and definitely myself.

I haven't included how many turns should an encounter last, but feel free to eleborate on it and post your opinions on that too. (My thoughts are 2-4 turns each troop/battle).

Also, even though I made this thread for random encounters, if you use on-screen encounters you could share your views and opinions on that too.

If you want to say something I haven't mentioned, or felt I left out something important, please feel free to do share your opinions on that too.

Thanks! Hope this can help myself and a lot of people out! :)

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While I'm not really fan of "random encounter", having to decide how many encounter per dungeon seems a bad idea. I believe the better question is to decide how many average step per encounter. If a player stuck in a dungeon for many reasons, that will go even more than 15.

Although if I really need to answer the question how many encounter per dungeon map if the dungeon has multiple maps. I'd say around 5 or lesser is ok.

ShadowHawkDragon and atoms like this.
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It depends on a lot of things, from the focus of your game (exploration or fighting?) to the time it takes to complete a single battle (30 seconds or 2 hours?) to how interesting the battles are (attack-button-mashing or requiring to fit skills to enemy?).
    So depending on that the answer might be anything from zero to many dozens.

atoms likes this.
  4. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not a huge fan of random encounters anymore. It's not just the norm in gaming. That's not to say that it's bad, but I do like some kind of indicator. Shin Megami Tensei series tend to do this well where you can't see the enemy but they do show like a light in the corner of the screen where it goes from green to red and when it's red it's like a few steps and you've got an encounter. That's not bad.

But random encounters can get so annoying!

atoms likes this.
  5. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What's the size of the dungeon? What's the strength of these random encounters? How much grinding is required? Is it a main dungeon or a side dungeon? Can we escape these random encounters? Is the loot they yield important? Are they going to sap too much of the player's inventory? Are these encounters cute anime girls? Are there going to be puppies?

In other words: You can't want us to give concrete answers to something that's too general.

atoms likes this.
  6. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Generally speaking I think it's could be good to know roughly how many encounters you have in a dungeon when going through it to make sure it's not too many or too little for that dungeon, as for example a lot of beginner mistakes I see in rpg maker games is setting the random encounter rate too high.

But at the same time I understand what's being said. Dungeons can be different muti-maps, different sizes and have other factors to them. So it's too general a question.

For that reason, this thread should be closed then and I'll try rewording the whole question to fit a better discussion. Posted here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ngeons-like-and-how-do-you-handle-them.97392/

I still feel these comments have helped me, so thanks everyone! :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.