gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I never quit... I merely go around the block, and back inside, through the back door.

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Often. But for me, it has kind of become part of the process as I grew older and more things grab my attention apart from working on my passion. If I don't work on my game for a few weeks it gets harder getting back into it, but once I do the motivation comes right back up and I could never quit it.

Let me tell everyone, it's normal to doubt yourself and your work. And wonder if it would be better to just throw everything away. It can also be good, because it helps you to keep the scope of your project to something manageable. Something you can actually finish. But it requires a lot of discipline to keep pushing through nonetheless.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I've had a few moments early on in my RPG Maker "career" where I wanted to quit. Pretty sure I had that urge after I finished my first commercial game and made practically nothing on it. But it wasn't long after I released that game that I had an idea for an even better game, and that one went on to do *much* better.

I've had a few occasions where I've lost interest in gamedev for a month or two, but it never lasts long and I haven't wanted to quit in a long time.

Scribblestick

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, the story is the most engaging. I can't pre-write with too much detail, because I know I will get bored with it when I'm bogged down in execution. So, a strategy that helps me get through big story projects (not just game development) is to create a bare-bones outline of major events and twists, but leave the details blank. That way, discovering the specifics becomes a reward for when I complete a new section, and with each new segment, I get to do more of what I really love - fleshing out the characters and story - and that helps me get through the hard parts.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've only ever wanted to quit twice in my life: Once a few years ago, but that was mostly cuz I was just fooling around w/ MV and not being serious. The other time is tonight... I am super sad and bummed out. I have several bugs and I've simply hit a wall that requires extensive Javascript knowledge. Unfortunately, nobody seems willing/able to help me.:kaoeh:

I even tried making a classifieds request to commission some JS help but to no avail. Neither have my half a dozen or so JS support threads been answered... /suicide

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plenty of times, ever since I got serious a couple years ago. Right now I'm struggling to do a soft reboot for a longer project myself. I often need jams to light a fire under my rear.

That said? My avatar character was first conceived about nine years ago, for an RPG Maker retelling of The Lion King. The two jam games I made in '19 and a couple months ago starring her weren't Lion King knockoffs as intended... But both were RPG Maker games I had completed, both getting good reviews on RPG Maker Network. Raziya had grown up alongside me in my adult years, and a younger me would've never guessed how big the lioness and her world would become in my creative endeavors.

I want to be a storyteller. I love games and their mechanics. I am an artist. As difficult as RPG Maker feels much of the time, I know that I've done some cool stuff before. There's a lot of proof that, should I buckle down and keep at my labors of love, that I will keep improving.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Jam type games are really good for just getting a thing done! Its super easy to lose motivation when you cant notice substantial progress each day.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I quit a lot, and honestly it's a good thing for me.
By quitting from a project, I've learned my strength and limitation.
I carry over what I've learned from previous project, and start a new one.
If the new one still fail, start another one.
With that, another lessons learned.

I'm not saying it's okay to be a quitter,
but as long as you keep improving your skills with each failure,
it's still a big win.

That being said, I'm not advising to quit so easily when
the project is a team project.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not once.

I have taken breaks though and that helped when I found it overwhelming. However, I've never had the feeling of giving up.

If you truly love game making, then don't give up. Sure, there are boring stuff that needs to be done but take breaks from them and do the fun stuff. You can switch back and forth between the boring and the fun.

What makes you want to give up? Is it because you get stuck? If yes, then ask for help in the forum. We are here to help and support each other, so just ask!

I'm no expert but if you want to chat privately about something, then you're more than welcome to.

Remember....we are here to support and help each other :LZSproud:

Nestor_Takeshima

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How many times have you wanted to quit making your game and just pack up?

i just started and i habe wanted to
I never wanted to quit. Plenty of times I was extremely frustrated and just wanted to be done with it, but that just motivated me more as I would not feel at peace with myself until I saw my project to completion.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm one of the weirdos. ;) I can't say I've seriously wanted to quit. I usually don't even want to quit for the day at bed time. I have to consciously make myself take breaks to play other games or watch a movie. In general, I enjoy the act of creation more than the act of consumption, and as others have mentioned, game development encompasses such a wide range of creative endeavors that it's hard to actually get bored. I also come from novel writing, particularly epic fantasy, so plugging away at incredibly long-form projects with no end in sight is kind of my thing anyway.

I've definitely felt what Steven Pressfield calls "resistance"--frustration over specific problems, apprehension (or really, cynical certainty) that the game will not be successful, etc. Absolutely. But I tend to think of such feelings as simply part of creation itself. I work through the doubts and frustrations and the feelings pass. (I highly recommend Pressfield's "The War of Art" to those who struggle with feelings like this.)

Then again, I've "only" been at it for about a year. I also have a huge advantage: I don't really have much of anything better to do even if I wanted to.

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've had rage quit moments or just slumps where I don't even feel like opening RM, even though it'd be super easy and quick to do what I need to do next. So yeah, there are moment I want to quit, but thankfully it is only temporary. Something always sparks my love for it again!

TheGameBrewery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game I saw it through to the end. That was my entire goal for the game. My second game was started immediately afterwards and I quite at least 3 times over a 5 year period. Didn't start again until I was fired from my job, with a wonderful severance, and took the time to finish it.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I never wanted to quit. Just a very long hiatus. Due to either of these reasons
- Boredom / Burnout
- I have no idea what to do with my game
- I'm interested in other things like games

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't quit, I just stop for a while because I clearly can't come up with something to make without writing a scirpt or something

Fauxworks

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I just get burnt out and motivated over and over

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well right now, I'm kind of tired of my current game and just want to move onto the next one, but at the same time, I want to finish a bigger project--something that isn't just a crappy game jam product. I suspect that, once I finish the last two area maps, I'll have a big burst of motivation since it'll be time to populate them all with enemies and that means making enemy skills. This is something I greatly enjoy, much moreso compared to mapping.

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once. Only one time did I truly want to quit.

I lost my entire project due to my computer crashing last year. It was my first real project and it was about 2 weeks away from completion.
Looking back it was terrible. It was an embarrassingly bad game and becoming corrupted was probably the best thing to happen to it. But at that time it meant everything to me. I wanted to quit then. I wrote a farewell message on these forums and was ready to leave.

I received a surprising amount of support however telling me not to give up. Just start again. I decided to do so. I remade the game on a newer RPG Maker. Released it. Decided it wasn't good enough. And am currently remaking the remake.

Since then I don't ever "want" to quit.
But I do wonder many times if I "should." Maybe I'm setting myself up for failure. Maybe I dreamed too big for a first time project. Time will tell, I suppose.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once. Only one time did I truly want to quit.

I lost my entire project due to my computer crashing last year. It was my first real project and it was about 2 weeks away from completion.
Looking back it was terrible. It was an embarrassingly bad game and becoming corrupted was probably the best thing to happen to it. But at that time it meant everything to me. I wanted to quit then. I wrote a farewell message on these forums and was ready to leave.

I received a surprising amount of support however telling me not to give up. Just start again. I decided to do so. I remade the game on a newer RPG Maker. Released it. Decided it wasn't good enough. And am currently remaking the remake.

Since then I don't ever "want" to quit.
But I do wonder many times if I "should." Maybe I'm setting myself up for failure. Maybe I dreamed too big for a first time project. Time will tell, I suppose.
you know what I'm about to say, right? xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sheila Nagase

same caption as before. :3
"Be as honest as you possibly can as often as you can. It makes your lies much easier to believe."
Each new game means new ways to survive and you need to adapt when you have 10 different stores with lots of items for your adventure
It took really long to gather the 4 siblings to make this pictur- where did the fourth one go!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frostlord_Icy