How many towns/villages/cities are there in your game?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Canini, Sep 12, 2016.

?

How many?

1. No towns in my game!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A single town/hub

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 5-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 7-8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 9-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. My game has over ten towns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Tags:
  1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @TheTsunaru

I actually have something similar, although the five countries are mostly city-states. 

2. TheTsunaru

TheTsunaru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Canini City-states may have been a better way of putting mine too I suppose. Country was just the first thing that came to mind because I've been awake for almost two days now and I made the horrible mistake of playing Drunk Souls while watching someone who was horrible at the game XD.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2016
    Canini likes this.
  3. SinSilver

SinSilver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My current game doesn't use towns. I have Headquarters for each of the faction that has shops, living quarters, and such within the facility.

Canini likes this.
  4. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on the game I'm writing, so the scope could be smaller or larger. For example, the current game I'm working on has regions in a single area  and each region has their share of shops, houses, farms, temples, shrines, etc. If I were to put it on a map, it could be like a single state with various villages, townships and cities. It's a pain making them unique, but I don't mind it and I find it fun flexing my architectural design muscles. I actually have books on city planning - it's not always a grid, but molded to the landscape and worked around. So my various regions (mountain, grassland, etc) has their own setup as to what their towns/villages are like. Especially the temple complexes. Those are interesting to create.

Another game I'm working on (I usually have multiple projects so I won't get burned out - no more than 3 at a time) is an island nation. There are five islands and each one is different. The biggest island has more villages and the smallest has fewest and an outpost or two. Each island is different and has their own thing going on, being separated from each other, though they share a common theme.

Canini likes this.
  5. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Very interesting.

To me what most easily comes to mind when it comes to rpgmaker games is somewhat comparable to early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, where city-states seem to be the norm (although they are often still called "kingdoms"). Speaking of which, is there any name for a city-state that has a small "suburb" like town in close proximity to it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Lymmet

Lymmet the Oddborne Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Depends. On my titles that have a 12h+ playtime I have a couple of capitals with maybe 6-8 lesser towns/villages spread around. On a dungeon crawler or smaller project I usually go for a hub area, maybe a couple of checkpoints with merchants and such.

The Stranger likes this.
  7. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This really depends on the type of project you want to make, a traditional rpg; you are going to have a bunch of towns/cities. A small rpg might be fine with one town or nothing really. A hub town works because it can be large and revealed in sections over time, almost like its multiple individual towns.

Anyway for my current project I have one town but its almost more accurate to say I have none because its something you only visit for one part of the game, isn't re-visit able and actually functions almost like a "dungeon" area of the game .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2016
    The Stranger likes this.
  8. Dragonspeech

Dragonspeech Lady Dragoness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I tend to have very... expansive imagination, though I think I did well to curb everything this time around. Ish. I have 6 villages/towns/cities, and 6 teenier places. Aka little oasis, a hermit, 'roving merchants', and fortification places, by having those 'non-important' places it just seems more vast, and living, which is something I really want to go for.

9. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Canini

A city-state is a city with surrounding territories that forms an independent state. For the smaller satellites outside the city-state, I think the word you're looking for is hamlet. A hamlet is smaller than a village which is smaller than a town, with a population ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand (and often located in rural areas).

As for the definition, I think it fits - A hamlet is a smaller settlement or subdivision of a larger, or be treated as a satellite entity to a larger settlement (in this case, your city-state).

I hope this helps.

Canini, The Stranger and Dragonspeech like this.
  10. JPaulC

JPaulC ... Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My main project has only one building. But it's a highrise tower full of shops, apartments, hotels, industrial/workshops, schools etc (basically a town in one building).

kaukusaki likes this.
  11. Corfaisus

Corfaisus RTP Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    While I say there are over 10 towns in my game, two of them are/are going to be extremely dense in terms of what goes on there, while others are more less pit stops for items at the moment. Ultimately, everything serves a purpose, but there's a great bit of variance between the greatest and the least. I also attempt to create deviance between each location so that no two places feel exactly alike (I've even got a large tree that serves as a home/military construct for the canid people of the world).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  12. skatasticdinoboy

skatasticdinoboy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not technically working on my game yet, so this is subject to change. At the moment the plan is for one massive city. There are going to be numerous sections of said city and numerous factions as well. As for the world outside, I'm thinking about having sporadic settlements that will become increasingly rare the further you get from the main city, as well as some ruined cities that may have a few friendly NPCs that serve as merchants, selling off what they've managed to salvage in safe "camp" areas.

As for the main city, the plan is to have multiple warring factions, built around corporations in a sort of feudal setup; pretty much a cyberpunk thing. Outside of the city, it's going to have a more post apocalyptic, western expansion vibe, with people slowly expanding back into a world that is no longer the world that we once knew, forever changed in the wake of extraterrestrial technology that crash-landed on our planet.

13. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It depends on the game. I've had games with almost a dozen of towns (Incitement series, Atonement), to games where everything is happening within a single city (City of Chains), to games with no town areas at all due to them being mostly a dungeon crawler (Harbingers of Woe). 

14. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Now I wonder how difficult it would be to create a rpg with no towns at all...

Perhaps something about exploring unknown terrain. I kinda want to have a large city mentioned, but never visited. Could be interesting?

kaukusaki likes this.
  15. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That'd be really hard, and probably wouldn't turn out so well, because there wouldn't be any NPC's, where would you find shops and why are all of your soon to be party members wandering around in the middle of nowhere? 

Canini likes this.