How much advertising is too much?

aliensalmon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm starting to get tempted advertising my (mostly) non-commercial game that I posted in "Early Project Feedback" more (due to the lack of interest), but at the same time I don't want to be too "pushy" about something people might not like in the first place. So, my question for you is...should I advertise my game more or should I just let interest come naturally (by not advertising my game everywhere)?

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Put it in your signature, put it on your profile, post screenshots in the screenshot thread. Got a twitter? Tweet about it. Make some noise! Just follow the forum rules, and it's fine. (Just don't make posts that are like "why is no one playing my game?" I draw the line right there. Pity mongering... blah.)  There's a Let's Play forum, if you've got a demo going, request it if peeps are open for requests.

Make sure your thread is attractive. There's a handy guide....... Here~! That 'build it and they will come' mentality isn't going to work well here; the Early Project Feedback forum is over-saturated. Stand out. (just, follow the rules)

aliensalmon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That sounds reasonable, Makio-Kuta, I guess I'll do that...although I probably committed one of your "sins" by putting a pity-post in my project thread....

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you want the highest amount of people to play your game, as much as you can without breaking any rules.

You know about those dumb commercials on TV that are completely stupid but are played every opportunity they can get? They are statistically proven to increase sales (aka get more people interested in there product) by how often they are spammed on TV (no matter how stupid the commercial is).

Even negative publicity leads to increases of interest in a product and increases in sales.

For these reasons and many more, Publishers spend more money on marketing a game then the actual game itself (not all cases of course).

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I actually made a point to boycott a chocolate bar for like 5 years before the commercial was so inane and unfunny... I eventually stopped because I forgot which chocolate bar it was.

although I probably committed one of your "sins" by putting a pity-post in my project thread....
Weeeeeeell, sins can be forgiven. At least it was in your thread and not like... making a whole new thread for it. xD That's what I was talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...
I've wondered for a while now... what is it about the YED SV plugin that just doesn't do transformations... I feel it's how it looks up the battlers honestly.
To actually work on my game, or browse these forums about creating my game? Hmmm....
Tanning beds are actually vampire traps. Coffin shaped but the minute they're inside... BAM UV Rays. Dead Vampire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miss_Behavin