How much does it cost to commission CG and Character Busts for an RPG Maker or Visual Novel Game?

cedr777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I've always been wondering how much does it cost to commission a CG from an artist for a game.
It will be used in an RPG Maker Game or a Visual Novel in particular.
Can anyone give me a rough estimate? Much appreciated.

EDIT: with regards to level of detail, for a CG containing simple lineart plus coloring compared to a CG with really polished coloring, highlits and shades, it would be helpful if someone can give a comparison.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends entirely on what you want - what style, how much, and who does it for you. You'll have to provide more detail on what you're after.

Or take a look through the Classifieds - Offers forum and see if there's anything there along the lines of what you're after, and how much those people are charging. And obviously there are other places you could go away from the forum, but I've found people who don't know the asset requirements of RPG Maker are a bit harder to work with because a lot more communication has to take place, and there's more back and forth to get something that works properly.

cedr777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry but I seem to be having difficulties finding the Classified Ads forum, can you point me out? much appreciated.

I understand the part where I need to specify more details (or maybe design criteria?)before the artist can perform an estimate.

It would be really helpful if there was some place where artists post about samples of their work including estimated pricing. (like a portfolio maybe?)

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
It all depends on what you need and what the artist can offer to you. Also, details and additional info you provide might affect the price for a commission.

For the portfolio, artists who usually work on clients who use RPG Maker or any other engines tend to use social media of their choice. As for me, it's Twitter. Some others use Instagram nowadays. If anything, when you ask for a sample of their works, chances are you'll be given a link to their social media accounts.
Or maybe they will send you a link to their art thread. You know, each artist have their own way to showcase their works around.

As an artist, I don't that active on social media or forums; I tend to roam around Discord servers that focus on game development and RPG Maker in general. This might can be your lead as well in order to find the artist that suits you.

By the way, about the Classified, you can check it here or here. Make sure to read each subforum's guidelines.

Hope this helps. Cheers~

cedr777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very helpful, thank you very much for giving me insights.
EDIT: the Classified forum section is just what I was looking for, thanks so much both for pointing me to it.
I've been here for quite a while but never knew of its existence.
EDIT: I never knew there was also a section for looking to hire someone to work on Scripts, will check that out as well, as I have some Plugins I want a feature implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Currently without internet due to storm damage and most of our state is devastated. No idea how long I'll be unable to log onto here, but I'll answer questions as soon as I can.
This is supposed to be pso2 photon blast inspired animation
I'm sure this question's been asked before, but I can't find an answer: is there any way to run the Steam version of RPGMaker *without* being logged into Steam? It's a frustrating extra step sometimes.
Been seeing bright flashes in the sky for a while, and thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. Nope! Lightning. Now it's raining heavily. Seeing lightning, but not hearing thunder, is weird.
Small Update for myself:
>Two Dungeon maps are done, Dungeon 3 is in progress. Dungeon 4 needs work.
>4 characters set up out of a possible 6 but those come later.
>Hub area needs work.
>Game completion..., 20-25% maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakobwolf