How much does it usually cost for an exclusive music?

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been thinking about commissioning for an exclusive opening theme song, about 1:30 mins long . How much will it cost, generally?

Many thanks in advance :)

iMaple

Noob Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Heidelbergian?
Primarily Uses
I doubt that you'd find many people who would do that for 50-60, considering you want an exclusive license. It's also important wheter you want to use it for commercial purposes.

Tokumei No

Kojima Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
However, SomaelCK: what kind of music where you thinking about? I'm not a professional composer, but I would like to help :)

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Depends entirely on the author of the music (how is the music produced, is it recorded? more people involved in it? author's experience, author's reputation, timeframe to produce the music, etc.).

If you have some composers in mind, ask them.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Depends on the composer, one I know asks for $100/min (and he's so worth it). But it's usually $25-$60 from what I know of.

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have been thinking about commissioning for an exclusive opening theme song, about 1:30 mins long . How much will it cost, generally?

Many thanks in advance :)
I've been quoted anywhere between $50 - $450 for a piece that long. It depends on the composer and the complexity of the track. 

Usually, the additional cost is well worth it, but for me, I prefer to discover the undiscovered. I've built strong ties with my team, and their talents have improved along with my own :)

RadiantCadenza

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Coming from a composer, (Hmm... let's see if I can answer this without any self-advertising.  :p  ) 

Well, as everyone else has said: "It depends."

Obviously, established composers who've done high profile work are going to be at the upper end of the pay-scale. Also, there are plenty of composers that are willing to give indie devs somewhat of a break to be more budget friendly. (Which is also a very "it depends" thing)

The other main factor of the cost depends on the nature of the actual piece you want produced. Electronic compositions made using sound banks are going to be cheaper than hiring an actual orchestra or band. If you want vocal or lyrical content, it is likely to be more expensive because of the extra work involved as well. You'll have a much harder time getting an exclusive vocal track for under $100; you'd probably want to budget at least $200 for that. 

Archeia's "$25-$60" figure is pretty spot on for the RPGM community in general, I'd say, assuming we're talking about instrumentals. As a side-note, that's a pathetically small amount compared to "industry standard" composer rates, but those are based around film, radio, tv and other broadcast media so it's a whole different system. Video game music is kind of an afterthought to the "Music industry" at large.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
*cough*Jonnie91*cough*

He is quite cheap compared to quality of the work, even if the pricing is for commercial stuff. I like that guy.

Millerberto2

Good Sire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A Friend of mine did 2 for me, commercial license, (so I can sell it and keep all), for a little bit more than 120 bucks

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga