How much time do you dedicate to game making?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello everybody,

I thought I was working for not so much time in a week on my game, then realized it's almost like doing a part-time job (in addition to my full-time "real" job).

After work, I spend about a couple hours so that makes 10 hours by friday evening.

And then I double that with my week-end.

So, 20 hours a week on game making. Not so bad, after all.

Tell me, how much time a week do you dedicate to your own game?

Reaction score
First Language
Norway
Primarily Uses
A couple of hours now and then.

I was quite effective a time when I had no job or studies, but now that I work full time, I do less gamework.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I set aside two days a week to work on the game as it if were my 8 - 5 job. Right now that is proving to be Thursday (as I only work MTWF right now) and Saturday. Though I did force myself to set aside a day each week to not work on the game too, as I was burning myself out.

Allusion

♕ The Girl Who Lived (for chocolate) ♛
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My days are sporadic, so no week is ever the same for my project~ I always try and dedicate some time to it on the weekend, and during my downtime during the week. I'd say between 25-35 hours a week. :) Doesn't feel like it though; time flies when you're having fun, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All of it. Gamedev is life.

- Duke

Gui

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Not enough: about 4-5 hours a day when I don't have to fulfill a commission (I work as a freelance), which is about half of what I should do to be really serious...

markjacks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm quite new to game making. i spend around 5-6H daily. 

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
More that it takes I guess.

I might not spend every day the same amount, but being dedicated on something, I might spend thousands of hours making it as I would like it to be.

Caustic

Hopped Up on Goofballs
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
When I first got VX Ace, for the first month every waking hour was pretty much dedicated to meddling with the darn thing. Now, a year and 2 months later... I've just kinda poking at it now and then :(

Iunno, it just petered out after a month and getting back into the swing is a lot harder than it should be :x

OM3GA-Z3RO

Wounded Seraphim
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I work 9 hours during the week, 7 hours on saturday, 4 hours on sunday. End up being home late to work on my project but  I get to work the very moment I get home. Soooo, 4 hours a day I guess.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traviscot