How much time per day do you spend working on your game? (on average)

How much time per day do you spend working on your game? (on average)

• Under 1 hour a day

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • 1-2 hours a day

• 3-4 hours a day

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • 5-6 hours a day

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 7+ hours a day

• Other (please explain in thread if you'd like!)

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have been spending a perhaps unhealthy amount of time working on my game. I've been working on it more than I've been playing other games. And one of my past hobbies - watching anime - I don't even do anymore (though that started before I got super serious about making my game, but I have been considering watching anime but in the end would rather work on my game project).
Making a large game all by yourself eats up time like crazy... I have this stupid worry that if I don't keep up with current pop culture, I'll be left behind - especially when it comes to people making memes and references. Then again, I'm already totally out of the loop, so...
It's just so difficult to keep up. I end up doing what I want to do, regardless of current trends. So I just keep working away on my game, and occasionally play my PS4. That's how I spend my leisure time, at least. Meanwhile, my friends and family and people online are all consuming entertainment, tons and tons of it. Watching movies, TV, anime (especially anime; anime fans keep up with an ungodly amount of shows per season. I just don't understand how they do it), playing a large variety of games. Now that I'm typing this, it's kind of sad how basically no one I know has hobbies outside of consuming entertainment :rswt

Well, how much time do you spend per day, on average, making your game?
I didn't give a straight answer, but I don't have a number. If I had to guess, for me this past half month, it's like 3-4 hours of straight-working without any distractions. :kaoblush:But that might even be 5-6 hours depending on the day.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on the day. When I started I used about every waking hour for the next 3 months or so to work on the game, but I couldn't keep up that pace. Eventually what I settled on was to designate certain days and times as slots where I'll work on the game, and certain times where I will not touch it no matter what and I'll do something else instead (like play a game, or watch a movie). Usually that off day is Sunday, so if I want to binge a TV show or playing a game, that is the day I'll do it on.

Though sometimes the off day is just spent sleeping. Nothing wrong with that too.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Due to other obligations, I do not get to work on my game/s as much as I would like. If I were to have 5-6 hours a day to work on it, I'd probably be able to have it ready for early release as early as summer <_<...

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eventually what I settled on was to designate certain days and times as slots where I'll work on the game, and certain times where I will not touch it no matter what and I'll do something else instead (like play a game, or watch a movie). Usually that off day is Sunday, so if I want to binge a TV show or playing a game, that is the day I'll do it on.
I've tried to do something like that, but it always feels like I'm forcing myself to binge watch something, when I'd rather be creating, or at least interacting with a video game. I just can't sit down and watch TV anymore, and it sucks because I feel so alone in this aspect. I don't know many people who don't like to watch TV these days - especially in the "nerd" sphere which is where I've been my whole life when it comes to my hobbies.
I'm starting to come to terms that I don't like watching TV at the

Though sometimes the off day is just spent sleeping. Nothing wrong with that too.
Sleeping (as well as lazing around on the internet) is also what I've been doing during my free time haha

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Romanticist : Well if no show interests you then do something else. I myself have settled for maybe watching 2 hours of a show (slow pace I know) and playing a game on the off day. Or sometimes I'll go back and play again a game I liked when I was younger, I just finished playing through Wizardry 8 for example. That took about 4 weeks, and some of that was aided by all the snow days I got in the meantime.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only reason I put under an hour is because it likely averages out to 30 minutes a day. Three-four days of not being able to work on it (crappy brick and mortar work schedule, catching up with the one show I watch on DVR, chores) and then a couple of hours on the days I can.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I'm in the mood to work on it at all, I like to spend at least a good few hours on it, so probably close to 3-4 hours, and more (5-6 hours) during the weekends. Less than that doesn't cut it for me. Though, I do miss the days when I had the free time to work 8+ hours a day on my projects...
As for when I'm not in the mood to work on it, none at all.

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I feel like your poll might not reflect reality, when viewed. I know for certain that my time is spent sporadically.

I have spent the last 25 months on my project. Some months I will work on it every single day for 6-10 hours. May, June, July of 2017 I maybe worked a total of 20 hours. February 2019, I did not open my project a single time.

I think my answer to your poll would be 2 hours. But as you might tell from what I have laid out: I am not sure that tells the entire story.

Romanticist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel like your poll might not reflect reality, when viewed. I know for certain that my time is spent sporadically.

I have spent the last 25 months on my project. Some months I will work on it every single day for 6-10 hours. May, June, July of 2017 I maybe worked a total of 20 hours. February 2019, I did not open my project a single time.

I think my answer to your poll would be 2 hours. But as you might tell from what I have laid out: I am not sure that tells the entire story.
Yeah at this point I'm hesitant to put in polls because there are always people who say that my choices don't work for them or something, but I still put a poll here just for a very 'general' idea. Plus, that's also why I said "average". So if you only work one day a week, for example, but work 7 hours on that day, that'd be one hour a day on average. But now that I think about it more, I should add an option for those who work more sporadically, or who work a lot only one day in the week. I'll just add an "Other" option, that always seems to work, lol. You can change your vote if you want.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also work on my project sporadically. When I have breaks, I can work up to 10 hours or even more nonstop on my project, but during heavy work weeks or exam periods and don't even open my editor (I don't even go on this forum).

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Approx. 2-3 hours a day 300 days a year.

Last edited:

Norjen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Depends on various things. I'm currently out of job but my SO needs help with daily stuff from time to time, I have other hobbies, and my 2019 was off to a great start with pneumonia which still isn't done with me. Everything from 4 hours to 30 minutes of effective working time is possible, and on my best I finish one map, cutscene, or a lenghty piece of dialogue per day.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The poll would be better if you asked how many hours you worked on a project per week. No one spends every day working on their game. Not even me, who spends most days working on their game :p You just can't keep that up realistically.

Steam says I've got 3.8k hours logged on MV, though this doesn't count the amount of time I've spent in other programs such as Photoshop or MS Word, or doing social media. I guess on average I'd say I work about 5 hours a day on my game, though this is likely longer if I include support and keeping up social media and engagement with fans.

I don't have much time to watch TV or play games either. I'd much rather create than consume :)

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
No one spends every day working on their game.
I do, but not when I'm abroad. I used to bring the PC to work a bit even in vacations but I've given up on that. :D

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When I'm feeling inspired, I can spend the entire day of the weekend to work on my project. But when don't I usually prefer to consume than create. Both are for having fun anyway.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aw I wish I could work on my game every day! But i am usually so exhausted after work that I can't. If I do have the energy, maybe 2 hours or so before I gotta cook dinner. Weekends are when I get stuff done. 6-8 hours sounds about right I think!

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam says I've got 3.8k hours logged on MV, though this doesn't count the amount of time I've spent in other programs such as Photoshop or MS Word, or doing social media.
This is definitely important. I spend a massive amount of time in word processing programs (Final Draft and One Note) writing out everything, and planning as much as possible.

Definitely difficult with a full time job. Especially since I want to get in regular gaming as well for this hobby. I don't want to be like so many game dev's I've met that don't make time for gaming and get distant from the thing they love.

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah at this point I'm hesitant to put in polls because there are always people who say that my choices don't work for them or something, but I still put a poll here just for a very 'general' idea. Plus, that's also why I said "average". So if you only work one day a week, for example, but work 7 hours on that day, that'd be one hour a day on average. But now that I think about it more, I should add an option for those who work more sporadically, or who work a lot only one day in the week. I'll just add an "Other" option, that always seems to work, lol. You can change your vote if you want.
Great topic btw. Do not think I have read one similar in the last 2 years.

Was not trying to neg your post. I was only thinking the poll part might not work properly. Assuming you are trying to quantify.

Either way, I am kind of jealous of Indinera and Celianna...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I fluctuate a lot due to my freelance animation work outside of my day job. Usually if I dont have freelance on I try to get in 1 - 2 hours most days and on weekends more like 3 - 4.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right now I'm on break, part of my creative process, where I let a project sit and idle in order to come back with fresh eyes(I do it with my writing too) but when I'm creating, I can spend anywhere from 3-8 hours on a project, depending on the day and my work schedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lysenthe