Probably Drunk
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Been a big wait,and now 2017's here.

So it's coming soon.I need to know,how much will it cost?I can't seem to find a price.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it should be around 25$

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is that just your opinion or are you basing that off of something? That would be insanely cheap for a piece of new game making software.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is that just your opinion or are you basing that off of something? That would be insanely cheap for a piece of new game making software.

It's just some thing pop out of my head, i didn't said it have to be it.dinosaur is just 15$. I have't try TB, but i think Visual Novel Maker is similar to that + custom pre-made resources which will be come common that people will get tired of game made out of that and some other cool stuff, around 25$ to 40$ should be the price?

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Still cheap. Even getting common art is not cheap, hence why RPGMaker is $79.99 new. I'm going to say its probably $59.99 at minimum, and any less would be devaluing the cost of the common resources.

As it is, the price  you propose would be good...if it had no resources whatsoever.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note that this is a fully fledged program that you can make your games in, and comes with graphics for you to use as well. $25 would be a ripoff to the people who developed it.

PS4 games are €60 - would you pay less for a program to make games with?

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I think the price is around $49.99 to $79.99. Er~ In my opinion, $59.99 is a good price for it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For fun I decided to look up the prices of some past game making software. Here is one I found, which retailed for $89.99...in 1991! Let that sink in for a minute if you will, because if RPGMaker and the other engines charged the same price, adjusted for inflation, they would cost $194.99.

http://www.aderack.com/game-maker/index.php?title=Game-Maker

I also remember game making kits selling for $499 in 1993 - 1994, but couldn't find any sources for those (most were add-ons to a C or C+ engine though, so coding was required). So really, based on past history, even $79.99 is cheap. And, honestly, if they wanted to, they could probably charge $200 and be justified with it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well I know some 3D software cost in the thousands, and the RM programs cost around $80. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that this'll cost around $80. 

Krimer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
Wow, you compare VNmaker to wrong programs. Its need to compare to snake(Free software) or dinosaur (10$), because i don't think VNmaker will bring something that don't have or can't made by those two. Yes, they don't have much premade stuff but even if VNmaker would have premade stuff it will not excuse price like 80$.

40-50$ is more then fair price in other case most of people will just use snake. Its just only my vision, because i one of that people who will use snake or other programs if VNmaker will have price more then 40-50$

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I disagree. There are free RPG making programs too (there's a freeware game in the style of Unlimited Adventures for example), and you can always code the game completely for free too, as free compilers exist (last I checked there was one on the Microsoft site itself for coding in C#). But yet we still use pay for and use RPGMaker for a reason. So honestly, the whole there's free programs so this must be cheap comparison is a poor one, as the existence of RPGMaker itself shows.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To add onto @bgillisp's point, I don't think this'll be some little pathetic program either. This will probably be a higher end program if they even delayed the release of it. I'm not really assuming Snake and Dinosaur are bad, but I can bet you that there are some far better software out there that aren't cheap. That argument doesn't even make a whole lot of sense. VN Maker was made by the same company as RPG maker, and it seems to do similar things, so wouldn't it be reasonable to compare it to RM? Think of it this way. If you go to two restaurants and they both serve the same dish, but one costs more, but was cooked better, would you complain?  

Krimer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
I mean... Buying stuff with price like 80$ in county with average wages is 100-200$, its a bad idea :)  I use rpg maker only because it was a gift from some of my friends, not because it was so cool and i don't have any other options. I do games only for fun, not for sale. With time of using RPGmaker i just get used to it and i am too lazy to learn other programs, and i am not the only one i think. 

In case with VNs we have good programs for it, and its free or almost free. So they more reasonable for start or fun developers. VNs is too specific genre of games, its not RPG. So it just like i said, its only for me. But If something cost more then 40$ and it have good counterparts i will prefer them, because i don't think its can bring something that cool that others don't have. Only premade stuff can be fair argument but i don't think it will have enough stuff for 80$, but for 40-50$ yes.

Sorry, for me too difficult to say what i think in other language. So another sorry for that.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It would be great to be able to buy VN maker without the assets for a reduced price if you so choose (if the assets do factor into the price). But even then I cannot imagine it costing less than at least $49.99. The biggest benefit of using a professionally creating engine compared to a free alternative is, in my opinion, knowing that there are no compatibility issues or other bugs that will not be fixed. You never know when a developer of a free program will lose interest and then all your hard work is wasted!  

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If we're basing the capabilities of the dinosaur and the snake there are some things you need to consider:

1. Snake doesn't have any UI editor that streamlines process. Everything is through text. The inclusion of a powerful editor changes everything. Let's not forget that VNMaker allows you to have plugins AND have extensions that changes the editor itself.

2. Dinosaur is extremely limited for a front end developer. Unless you can program you are extremely limited with it. And even then, from a backend level, Dinosaur has a lot of problems. You're better using Dinosaur script than Dinosaur builder itself.

3. Snake chugs at 1080p. I have asked a lot of fellow snake devs about it and they confirmed this for me. VNMaker does not.

4. Good luck making any UI in Dinosaur that doesn't look all the same.

This is from someone who used those two pretty in-depth. 

Last edited by a moderator:

BoredSoul

Probably Drunk
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good arguements here.

I'll just wait for a sale.

Hopefully they'll have sales....

lolshtar

Master of Magic thatknow nospell
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The good thing is - plenty of people who will buy it at any price. It's just the vocal minority is always complaining about the high price, whereas the silent majority buys it without a second thought.

You will earn money from those sales, hence your opinion is invalid.

$30 is perfectly fair for a lesser MV version.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@lolshtar I agree with Celianna on this one. We're just having a friendly debate. You have no reason to start attacking people. And also, Celianna is not earning money from the sales. Mods are volunteers. They don't all work for that company. Even if she were, that doesn't make her opinion invalid. Calm down. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

...the eye scream man...
2021_10_5_16_16_52_502_3916.png
My washing machine is a supernatural being. I lost a piece of clothing in there a month ago; searched up and down, inside other clothes, nothing. It just vanished.
Today, put in a new load. When I pull it out, the missing clothing is back! And a sock was sacrificed in the process :yswt2:
thought I'd upgrade to mz from mv cause of the nice quality of life features but ****ing hell why couldn't they allow old plugins to work in it and secondly how come in over a year since it's release has there been no mz version of something so crucial as a non grid based movement plugin. I guess I'll stick with mv. (why wasnt mz just an update to mv anyway literally nothing substantial changed..)
Something might be coming...
Hallo.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatex