How (or where should I go) to make ghost sprites?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Strategery, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Strategery

Strategery If you can see it, you can be it Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm hoping this is the right place for this post, but I'm working on a game project that has a couple of NPCs that are ghosts. In my mind, I'm picturing a sprite that is either a white outline of a character with no fill in, or a bluish outline with a white fill-in. In either case, the outline of the sprites would have a little bit of fuzziness on it to indicate that the NPC is ethereal.

I'm using the RPG Maker MV, and the character generator doesn't really let me create a sprite that has these characteristics? Any ideas on how to do this? Anyone else ever make a ghost sprite? Thoughts?

2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gimp or photoshop perhaps?

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gimp/Photoshop. If you don't have photoshop I would suggest GIMP because it is free and open source. Those software might be a bit intimidating, but it's really not that hard to learn if you simply want to do simple things in it.

4. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can go 2 ways, find ghost sprites or make them around 50% transparant fully.

you might need through is ON and yanfly event restriction if that can hold through ON, so you can walk through
    them but it cant go through buildings etc

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

GIMP I've heard works, though I didn't manage to use it to make a ghost sprite myself as I couldn't figure out how to change the transparency in it. Finally got lucky with a visual effect which looked the same in the end. Maybe someone who knows GIMP can post more on how to do it?

6. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp Pretty sure that you change the transparency in the layer window (usually on the right). So you separate your image into multiple layers and play with transparency with different layers. There might be another way to do it, maybe one that gives you more control, but I'm not good enough with GIMP for that lol. I simply use the software for simple edits.

7. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can check my tutorial how to make a ghost for RMMV

8. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, there's a few ways in Gimp to achieve either look.
    Start off similar to Soulrender's tutorial about using the character generator to export a png of the desired sprite sheet.

From there in gimp:
    To do the white outline method, you desaturate the color. Increase the contrast between light and dark with Brightness and Contrast.
    Use the Select-By-Color tool to grab all the pixels that aren't black, delete them, and then invert the remaining black lines to white or use bucket fill all.
    Duplicate that layer, place that below existing layer, use Gaussian blur...there's more setps for finishing but that gives you a rough instruction that it's possible.

For the blue line/white fill, there's a few ways; similar to the above steps only instead of deleting the Selected-by-color pixels, you use bucket fill with "fill whole selection" clicked to white. Repeat by selecting all black lines and fill with desired blue.
    Alternatively if you want to keep some of the color blending and shadows, there's using the Colorize option or Gradient Maps.
    Really it's a matter of familiarizing yourself with the available tools and such.

Strategery likes this.
  9. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you are talking about a sprite that's wandering around on the map, you could just have a custom movement route for it and then set opacity at whatever you like as part of the movement route. That's what I've done.
    ss3.png

Strategery likes this.
  10. Strategery

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! Thanks, everybody, for the awesome suggestions! @Soulrender, your video is really helpful! I think I'll give it a try, though I'll have to adapt it to GIMP...don't think that would be too hard, though. @xoferew and @MadRamDesigns, I like those ideas, too. Looks like I have several solutions to choose from. :thumbsup-left: You all just saved me countless hours of head-banging frustration! :smile:

11. Strategery

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, @Soulrender and @MadRamDesigns -- you guys rock! In just a few minutes I was able to create a character image tileset that looked exactly the way I imagined...now the story can go on! Thanks again, everybody!

ghost_example.png

MadRamDesigns, xoferew and Soulrender like this.
  12. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow!!! That ghost of yours looks impossibly amazaing!! :D
    @xoferew - Your ghost is also beatiful :)

xoferew likes this.
  13. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Soulrender Ha ha, @Strategery's look ten times prettier than mine. Good job, @Strategery! Mine are uh... supposed to look scuffy and um... be hard to see. ^_~ Well, mine might not be ethereally stunning but they are at least flammable. ^_^