rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tamina Thanks for taking the time to write that insightful post. I agree with it 100%.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tamina is so spot on, I've been working heavily on my project and I've told everyone my main goal is visual appeal it has to look a certain way, but aside from that I have great musical friends with thousands of views I'm going to incorporate for music because the music is a HUGE aspect of the game, alot of ppl take that for granted, sfx and music are ideal. Noone can think of the OG ff7 main menu and not hear that finger/selection and confirmation noise. Noone thinks of Kingdomhearts without thinking of simple & clean, my sanctuary and the main menu piano themes.

But most of all what I agree with is the characters, I've been working on my game for 2 years and I'm still fine tuning my characters, they have to be PEOPLE, likable/relatable/annoying/flawed/genuine people.

I've taken alot of online free courses and classes on figuring out characters and it's not easy but its rewarding.

Who are your characters, they need more than just a motivation to save/destroy/rule the world. What's their favorite food, favorite game, who's their crush, what are they afraid of, what can they NOT do (ppl tend to make the MC perfect and is sorely boring)

Luffy from One Piece can't swim or be calm
Naruto from Naruto/Shippuden's favorite food is Ramen
Noctis from FF15 is unenthusiastic and a complainer
Cloud from FF7 is standoffish but wants to be included and play reindeer games
Goku is not a hero, he just likes to fight strong people, he doesn't and has never cared about the well being of the planet despite saving it so many times. He cares about his friends and is concerned when their hurt but when namek blew up and when earth was slaughtered by kid buu those evoked zero emotion in him.

These well known characters are all unique and have unique looks and lifestyles and we like them for that. Cool appearances and personable traits is what attracts many players to a game. I love skull from P5 which is why he remained in my starting party the entire time despite superior characters being available.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will assums advertising's purpose for spreading awareness of your game.
Posting your games on:
1. Social Media
2. RPG Fan websites
3. Local news $$$ or just ask the local store if you can put your game promotion poster in their store. [Do not estimates power of localism]
4. Ask your boss in your job if you can put the poster on the workplace break room.

If you ask how trick customers, that are easy and normalize unethical behavior. You can learn from the game in Stream. lol

1. commission customerize virtual arts and just put in front of the game and take a pictures of those superficial gameplay.
2. Create the description like the devs have everything the players want, but the devs do have that. Then, defend the devs defend themselves by silence the unhappy customers.
3. Also the hill battle against the trade barrier of the big game industries. Another desperate attempt create a controversial agenda. [It would cause trouble latter]

Ethical businesses would do that, but unethical businesses have more money.

The problem with the new game business is a trust problem. Customers do not want to get burn with the front game presentation and what devs want the customers to see. They want the game as it is present in major of gameplay.

Last edited:

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo

I agree and disagree. The bottom line is, marketing is unethical promotion in its purest form. Indie....well, anything have this notion of doing things "the right way" and not deceiving their customers. But the unethical promo that is marketing is, in and of itself an artform.

Bad marketing is telling people a straight up lie, my favorite example is movie theater films, every commerical for a movie says its "the #1 film" and the "the best film of the season", how are they ALL #1 at the same time?? Thus when one turns out to be a horrible film it gets slaughtered in reviews and rotten tomatoes. In b list movie with zero promotion gets a lot more benefit of the doubt because it didnt have such high claims.

Good marketing is taking a product and emphasizing its strong points even if they tend to exaggerate. If your game has a beautiful story but it's a 1 hour campaign. You go on and on about the "mesmerizing tale unlike anything you've ever experienced". People will complain about the story length but you didn't lie, you just failed to mention it.

Furthermore, saying your game is a "Modern Day PS1 Greatest Hits" isn't a lie, it cannot be dispute because people saying the game sucks would be their opinion. In contrast to my "#1 movie" example above, that can be easily disputed by box office sales and critic reception, theres evidence.

Long story short unethical marketing is making customers believe If they dont invest in your product their missing out on something amazing your game features....it just may not be as magical as your making it seem, or maybe it is. The quality of your product is always important but good marketing can make two games of varied qualities sound equally as entertaining.

Alot of indie people market their game to be "as good as x" ESPECIALLY rpg maker devs. Very few are courageous enough to marker their game as "better than xyz BECAUSE". Going back to my last post and tamina's the animeverse & your characters are a great area to market this. AAA games have more money then indie devs but money doesnt effect story and character design there no reason why an rpg maker game cant have cooler characters than persona 5 and if you achieve that, market it to hell!

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Conflictx3, I agree with you that no matter how much unethical devs games tried stretch the definition of RPG games. That is still RPG games. I am more interesting on look can be deceiving.

That is true on putting up some true and keep some true to yourself is good marketing.

But again, when customers just like you and I Iearn, the loss of trust will be fun effects for the devs. Remember what go around come around. [I do not know to how much behaviors are considered doing good things.]

Nice talking to you and thanks for explaining how marketing works for me, so I can understand better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay so now you can prepend a JS library to your Haxe plugin. You can also prepend your attribution information to every compiled plugin.

:3c here's a thing i made a while while while back
Tried mochi for the first time. It's quite nice. Has a pleasant smell and taste, and is nice and chewy.
made a bio for the protag in my project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperYao