How Steam users sees your game - The Article

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by TheoAllen, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Found this on Reddit: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisZukowski/20190906/350248/How_Steam_users_see_your_game.php
    Which I think it's interesting to read even I personally have no interest to actually sell a game.
    I haven't finished reading it (might continue later) but there're several points I agree as a consumer, especially the game trailers.
    It is exactly what I complained about, last month.
    I can vouch for this.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That was an enlightening read. In fact, I'm thinking about going over the four games I have on Steam now and re-evaluating the screenshot order and short descriptions now just after reading that--especially on short descriptions, I'm pretty sure I focused on "mood setting" for all of my short descriptions without ever bothering to describe what genre/gameplay style my games actually have. And on screenshots, I'm pretty sure it's one of Steam itself's suggestions not to upload screenshots that are focused on the UI or menus.

Regarding trailers, I remember reading somewhere that, for Steam, you want to have trailers that are short and focus on gameplay, so at least I got that right!

Edit: on the topic of users looking for tags and finding "poison pills", I'd be interested in discussing whether or not people think the "RPGMaker" tag could be a potential poison pill. Obviously there's an audience of people who look for or don't mind it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an even bigger audience that sees this tag and goes elsewhere.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.
  3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Recognise myself in a lot of those behaviour patterns when looking for games to buy on Steam. On a page, I always look at the screenshots and tags first. I only watch the video in the last stages of my decision, when I'm fairly convinced I might like the game enough that I'm willing to spend the time on watching the actual trailer.
    As for reviews, I look at the negative reviews first too, because those are way more helpful to me than positive reviews in most cases in determining if it's a game I want to spend money on.
    In game descriptions, I always look for key words that describe gameplay features and what the gameplay experience is like, and only if I'm interested after reading that, I'll look at 'mood text'.

jkweath likes this.
  4. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Definitely agrees, trailer takes too long to play. Usually I would look at the few screenshots to determine if I'm interested in the game. In this scenario, good art and presentation would be what hook me in the fastest. Then if I'm interested in the game, I look for whether the game has mixed/positive reviews and number of reviews to gauge the quality of the game. And like Milennin above, I looked for negative review on the gameplay, I disregard some other negative reviews with tech issues depending on how it is. After all of those are met, then I decide whether the game is worth the $$, usually for people, they would put on wishlist and wait for sale because of the abundance of sale on steam.

Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.