How strong should a Level 1 to 3 character be?

El_Mega

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I would like to know how strong should a level 1 to 3 player be as in HP or TP be?

Thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that depends on your enemies - there are games where the actors start with 10 HP on L1 and go to 40 HP on level 99, and there are other games where the actors start at 200 HP with L1 and go to 99999 HP on level 99.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought the question would be even better if it changed into "How weak the enemy / How easy is the battle should be when characters are still at level 1 & 3". Your actor numbers don't do the justice. Enemies does.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There really isn't a correct answer for questions like these, as there are simply too many potential variables to consider.

The right answer for one game is the wrong answer for another. It's not a matter of X being true, or Y being false.

The number of enemies, the number of party members, the equipment the character will have access to, your intended level of difficulty, how much you intend for your player characters & enemies to be able to use their respective skills, the nature of the skills you intend for your characters to have, the manner of their resource recovery, the number of battles they would be expected to undertake in any beginning quest, etcetera, etcetera; all of these things will impact what is the ideal balance for your game.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've made two games so far ... and neither one of them advanced the player beyond level 1. One of them, though, had your character still start out pretty weak yet become extremely powerful by the end of the game if you purchased all of the upgrades. As everyone else here stated, the mechanics of your game will determine how all this plays out. It's up to you to create the design that defines this.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had to balance a space combat game once (no levels, but tech tiers) and I found that the best approach was to establish a maximum and minimum, and evenly distribute the difference.
if it feels too "pay-to-win" (meaning, higher level and gear would always be preferable, across the board) tweak the parameters creating small jumps up or down, irregularly, as the characters level up.
that way the same character will not always outperform the same lot of lesser characters at any given level.

you mean, 42.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you're asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is "how strong/weak should the enemies be at the start of the game in relation to player characters, and by how much should that curve increase by the end of the game?"

Whether player characters start with 10 or 9999 hp at level 1, they should generally be able to kill starting enemies rather easily while receiving minimal damage from their attacks. This is to help them get used to your game.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No matter what these stats are, make sure to spend time to playtest it and use a calculator to see how many hits/skills does it take to defeat each enemy at the beginning of the game. The choice is yours, but it's good to know roughly the amount with what you've got.

Some questions. Can the player change the difficulty before the game begins? Can they make it easier/harder after the game begins? That's also up to you.

It is advice though to make the first lot of battles easier and make the game get harder along the way to help the player while they get used to the mechanics and system of your game.

How many players/actors/party members does the game begin with VS how many enemies are in a single battle? How long does the battle last? How long does it take to defeat each enemy? How long does it take to defeat all the enemies?

Do you have a heal skill at the beginning of the game? If so does it heal too much? Too little? The right amount? Will you upgrade heal later in the game? How many characters can heal at this stage & then later?

What items do you have? Do they mix and match with the enemies? I.e. If an enemy can posion do you have an item or skill that can cure the actor?

Is MP potions rare to get in the game? Do they give enough MP per actor?

Are bosses more challanging than regular enemies? How so?

How do you gain TP? How much TP do you gain against everything? Which skills require TP? Which skills require MP?

If you feel they are too challenging in your opinion when playtesting it then you can change it accordingly.

Those are the sort of questions to be asking and thinking about.

Last edited:

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yo man, we need more info than that. That's like asking what temperature this food should be, without at least telling us what the food is.

consolcwby

(2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to know how strong should a level 1 to 3 player be as in HP or TP be?
In Pnp systems, I would suggest at minimum three times the hp as the weakest enemy and no higher than 25% of the strongest enemy 3 levels above the current pc level (2 hp min, 10 max in AD&D 1st ed for 1st level characters for example). In other words, it is dependant on both system and enemy strengths (the above method breaks in CoC, btw). Best to tweak as you go!

Yo man, we need more info than that. That's like asking what temperature this food should be, without at least telling us what the food is.
The food is brown. Give me temp! J/k :p

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi,

Thanks!

Give everyone 10 hp and give enemies 1 attack power and bosses 3 attack power.

2beetdaboss you have to use shield to reduce damage by 1 and holy water to heal for 5 hp BUT CAREFUL THERE IS NOT MUCH WATER strategy is key.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Snarkyfork wrote on Trihan's profile.
Hey man, I saw you mention that you do MV javascript work? Just wanted to confirm it before I put you on speed dial. =)
"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CGI_ERICYT