Hello weary traveler,
My name is David, A.K.A - Dekita. I have been writing code for quite some time now, mainly using RGSS3 Code (Ruby1.9).
Anyway, I wish to essentially have a 'Code-Off' with another script writer. If you are wondering 'WTH is a Code-Off?" - basically, a script writing battle...
What I would like, is for me and another scripter (or scripters), to both/all agree on a script and each write our own versions. The scripts would then be judged - most likely by the RPG Making community, to decide who's is better.
The reason I would like to do this is very simple. I want to get better at writing code. By challenging myself - and others - I feel I would be able to increase my knowledge base, due to being forced out of my comfort zone and pitted against an opponent.
I feel that both myself, and the other scripter, could potentially learn alot from this. Obviously each would check the others code. Understanding what they done, why they done it this way, what advantages etc does this have compared to the code you wrote? Is their style of coding more appealing to you than the way you like to write your own code?
Of course, there would have to be some sort of rules or guidelines for each scripter to follow... Such as;
- Both/all scripters agree to the challenge.
- A fairly simple script, nothing overly complex.
- Script to be written within a certain time period.
- No updates to the scripts are allowed until after the judging has finished. This would allow time for any bugs etc to be found, which should, of course, be taken into account during the judging process.
- All code Should be native to RPG Maker VX Ace - (RGSS3 Only - no alternative languages)
- Both scripters actually have to write a new script. Ie, No linking to a script saying 'Do this but better' or crap like that...
Thats all I can think of for rules.
I am happy to face anyone as long as you can provide evidence of previous scripts you have written for Vx Ace.
Should you wish to see my previous work prior to taking this challenge, you can find them all by clicking the link in my signature.
Anyway... If you would like to 'take me on', send me a message or leave a reply stating what kind of script you would like to challenge me to. If I like the sounds of it and dont think it will take up all my time, then chances are, I will accept the challenge.
I look forward to all comments you may have about this, even if you dont wanna challenge me, leave your thoughts ^_^
Should you wish to be a Judge for this, please leave your details and I will contact you once the script battle has begun
Last edited by a moderator: