How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Hello weary traveler,

My name is David, A.K.A - Dekita. I have been writing code for quite some time now, mainly using RGSS3 Code (Ruby1.9).

Anyway, I wish to essentially have a 'Code-Off' with another script writer. If you are wondering  'WTH is a Code-Off?" - basically, a script writing battle...

What I would like, is for me and another scripter (or scripters), to both/all agree on a script and each write our own versions. The scripts would then be judged - most likely by the RPG Making community, to decide who's is better.

The reason I would like to do this is very simple. I want to get better at writing code. By challenging myself - and others - I feel I would be able to increase my knowledge base, due to being forced out of my comfort zone and pitted against an opponent.

I feel that both myself, and the other scripter, could potentially learn alot from this. Obviously each would check the others code. Understanding what they done, why they done it this way, what advantages etc does this have compared to the code you wrote? Is their style of coding more appealing to you than the way you like to write your own code?

Of course, there would have to be some sort of rules or guidelines for each scripter to follow... Such as;

- Both/all scripters agree to the challenge.

- A fairly simple script, nothing overly complex.

- Script to be written within a certain time period.

- No updates to the scripts are allowed until after the judging has finished. This would allow time for any bugs etc to be found, which should, of course, be taken into account during the judging process.

- All code Should be native to RPG Maker VX Ace - (RGSS3 Only - no alternative languages)

- Both scripters actually have to write a new script. Ie, No linking to a script saying 'Do this but better' or crap like that...

Thats all I can think of for rules.

I am happy to face anyone as long as you can provide evidence of previous scripts you have written for Vx Ace.

Should you wish to see my previous work prior to taking this challenge, you can find them all by clicking the link in my signature.

Anyway... If you would like to 'take me on', send me a message or leave a reply stating what kind of script you would like to challenge me to. If I like the sounds of it and dont think it will take up all my time, then chances are, I will accept the challenge.

I look forward to all comments you may have about this, even if you dont wanna challenge me, leave your thoughts ^_^

Should you wish to be a Judge for this, please leave your details and I will contact you once the script battle has begun ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Dr.Yami, Venka, Galenmereth and 6 others like this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    For those who want to do this, I'm willing to give badges to the winner and participants as a small incentive?

TheGreenHorse, Shaz, Dalph and 3 others like this.
  3. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh Wow.

If theres prizes to be won I should maybe neaten up that first post a little bit ^_^

4. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, I'm interested, but I'm at school at the moment. Will you be available in about... 5-6 hours from now? I'd love to try to challenge you :)

5. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol yea I should be around all day. 

Even if more than one person wants to challenge at once. It could be a group activity where all participants write a script that does whatever. Obviously they must all agree on the script and the deadline :)

6. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    I'm not a scripter, though this is a very creative idea. I want to see both scripts, and find out who won.

Solo and ?????? like this.
  7. ♥SOURCE♥

♥SOURCE♥ Too sexy for your party. Member

I will judge.

Solo and ?????? like this.
  8. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    All of a sudden this is really exciting. :cutesmile:

?????? likes this.
  9. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, keep an eye on the thread and I am sure you will. :)

Cool, thanks, I took a note of your name and will contact you when voting begins. :)

10. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So what ideas do you have for what we should script?

11. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing at all ^_^

I thought the challenger should choose, thus, taking me out of my comfort zone.

Preferably I would like to do something statistic related. I love modifying the way stats work. Systems that change the damage dealt, stat calculations, exp / gold calculations and things of that nature.

It could be some kind of hud type script, like a hud for the default battle system - without using any graphic images as that would dramatically improve any hud :p

Alternatively, it could be something completely different. A system based from one from another game or something.

Whats your thoughts ?

Edit:

Maybe someone impartial should choose the script... That way we are both taken out of our comfort zone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  12. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes, perhaps a judge should choose. I was thinking one of the items I have on my todo list anyway, but then I also though it'd be a bit cheap since I'd be using the time to my advantage, so we should let the judges choose.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I'm available.

13. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, just send a message here when your free. :)

If anyone has any ideas for a script that we can write during the FIRST EVER RPG Maker Forum Code Battle!! Leave a comment below with your idea.

Please keep it brief and fairly simple.

14. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    A script that makes an actor not fight specific types of enemies is an idea <:3c

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    Shaz and Solo like this.
  15. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not fight specific enemies... Hmm... Sounds intriguing.
    Just to enure I understand correctly, Actors would simply reuse to fight certain enemies, via whatever method ?

16. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Notetags would be the best way imho! But hey it's a code off. You guys have to see which implementation is best right? ;D

?????? likes this.
  17. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, this seems fun. To bad I'm just a casual snippeter at best. Anyway, an idea I had recently would be a script that allows the application of states/traits to skills on a by element basis with support for hybrid traits when elements are combined in one attack.

Example1: Any skill with the element of water adds a state that increases resistance to fire by 30% but reduces resistance to ice by 30%. A skill with ice as it's element lowers actor agility by 25%. A skill utilizing both elements can inflict a frozen state that paralyzes the target temporarily instead.

Example2: A skill with the element of slashing has a 15% chance of causing the status bleeding, while any skill with poison as it's element can inflict poison to the target 30% of the time. One that is both has a 60% chance of inflicting poison due to the wound created by the slashing attack.

The main application would of course be for games where the precise elements utilized in particular skills are not defined at start up, adding a bit more strategy to the skills that add elements to physical attacks and such than a mere added damage to enemies weak to said element which in most games I've seen means that such buffs are all but useless.

Uzuki, ?????? and Solo like this.
  18. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is... completely ingenious. :o

Do you mind if I use something like this in my game? Certain elements creating weaknesses to other elements when used?

?????? likes this.
  19. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ AlexanerAmnell

At first glance this seemed far to complex but I think it may have been your wording.

Basically, a script that does...

When a skill with an element is used, a state - corresponding to the skill element - is applied to the target ?

It would take into account multi element attacks and chance based percentages ?

20. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It can actually be done manually for every skill via the database, but a script might make it a little more convenient for some people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.