How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm bad about saying to much. Basically the main functionality that would make it useful as a script would be the hybrid element function. The first part as solo said could be done individually per skill but would be a convenience factor for people using such a system. So short answer I guess: Make skills have different effects depending on which element/how many elements it has.

2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well so far, there is two possible scripts...

1 - Actor not attacking specific enemies. - Archeia

2 - Skills have multi elements and various effects based on its elements. - Alexander Amnell

Anyone got any others? The more ideas there is, the more chance all parties involved will agree on which script to write. Personally, i like both ideas equally.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    Solo likes this.
  3. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, like someone who refuses to harm animals/"beast"-type enemies, or someone who is afraid of bugs and doesn't want to touch them... or something like that!

4. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Slightly off topic - but would it be possible to add a poll to this topic once the scripts have been written to allow members to vote ?
    I am thinking it would probably be best to allow a few days at least - maybe even a week, for a sufficient amount of people to test the scripts and vote...

5. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not used to the combat specifics of RPG Maker but I thought of something that I think is not by default:

Since random encounters happen on maps from a pool of pre-recorded enemies, maybe there can be a script to start encounters with enemies depending on the current level of the main party?

This way, no more annoying rats/slimes on starting maps if you have to return there for any reason.

6. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    where I sign for  this challenge ;w;?

Ho i know!

module Code_Offclass << selfattr_accessor :signenddef self.sign_up@sign = falseendendCode_Off.sign = truenow I signed =D!

Cadh20000, ?????? and Solo like this.
  7. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I personally think the idea from Alexander Amnell "Skills have multi elements and various effects based on its elements" would be great for this for a couple of reasons:

1.) I think it would be an interesting challenge to both scripters facing off, with different possible implementations possible.

2.) I think it would be more useful for the community - I feel that there would be a greater number of people who would like a script like this.

Just a thought on judging, but there should maybe be some criteria to follow perhaps when judging both scripts? Perhaps broken down into some categories:

-How easy is the script to use (how complicated is the configuration? how complicated are the notetags, database entries, whatever else?)

-How many lines of code are there? 

-Compatibility - will it work with just the default system or can it be used with other scripts that exist as well?

-How well-documented is it? I feel like the more documentation while coding the better, but that might just be me :)

I am sure there are other possibilities here as well. Just a thought at any rate :)

Venka and Solo like this.
  8. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    I thinked about something but I don't know if it is really hard to do because I never tried this myself

A special Scene class who when you activated they allow to change the graphic's of you character without a ton's of event setting's

like a closet option~

Solo likes this.
  9. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wait, wait, I've got it.

A script that changes an actor's portrait and walking sprite depending on their class! Or has that already been done? What if it could even do this for "Battler" images for another script that utilizes them, like Moghunter's "Actor Picture CM"? I wanted to use that script but I was disappointed when I found out that it doesn't really let you change the actors' pictures from whatever they're set to by default.

So, REVISION: A script that lets you show actor Battlers like RPG Maker XP did, along with the ability to change them via a script call, so it wouldn't JUST be tied to class changing. Or has this too already been done?

That would be really great, too! ^_^

10. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will add them to the current list of script ideas ^_^

Currently, the script ideas are:

2 - Skills have multi elements and various effects based on its elements. - Alexander Amnell

3 - Map enemies / troops based on party level. - cabfe

4 - Wardrobe Scene. - Nio Kasgami

And yea, I agree that the judging should take into account certain criteria, such as usability and understandability. It should also take into account the code though, are there flaws? is their way better than theirs? Who's is most efficient?

Really, the amount of code shouldnt really matter. It should be the functionality of the code that is important. For example, Fomar wrote a script to replicate keyboard presses which is about 100 lines long-ish (if i remember correctly, been a few years lol), mine is around 200-ish. Personally, I like mine better, it has more functionality when im writing scripts that use it (one extra key method - release - checks if key was released). Cidiomar done one better, that has alot of usability for people without scripting know-how.

Cidiomars coding is probably better, but i havent really fished around that much ^_^

@solo, havent added your idea to the list as i dunno if it has been done or not lol

11. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is interesting if I must say. I gladly accept your challenge (and you finally made it)

So, I just give you an idea and I do the same?

12. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, it seems as thought its going to turn into a group activity, which is better for people to learn, which is what I initially wanted. So I guess, anyone who wants to partake can. Everyone just has to agree on a script prior to starting, and agree on a deadline that is reasonable.

I dont want to start taking on multiple individual challenges as it would eat into my other scripting time ^_^

13. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I see. I guess I will be the judge then. You already have many challenges, don't you?

14. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Do an online minigame (tic-tac-toe or rock-paper-scissors). It will take you out of your comfort zone.

And best if you don't make use of a java server, just good old TCP/IP host/client connection via Win32API and WinSock.

15. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well so far the people who have said they want to participate are myself and Zalerinian. Nio Kasgami also showed interest, but im not sure if that was a real attempt to participate or not lol

@Muramasa - that, clearly, is not a simple script.

16. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe all of the script ideas should be put to a vote, let the community decide which script you guys should take on, then any scripter who wishes to participate can make their version of the script and post it. Maybe put a deadline on it, like 1 week or something to have the entry submitted.

At any rate, this is a really great idea, and it seems like a lot of people think so, too :)

Solo likes this.
  17. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea that is a good idea. Once a few good ideas have been settled on could do a poll for the community to decide.

A week also sounds reasonable. That would give the scripter adequate time to make sure their entry is flawless in terms of bugs etc.

Would it be classed as cheating, if one where to privately ask a friend to look over their script and provide their thoughts - prior to submitting the script?

18. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Even if it was, it would be your own version, and therefore significantly different.

You shouldn't limit yourself, especially if you're not sure whether or not it's already been done. And again, I'm sure the features wouldn't be exactly the same... and the actual coding itself would be all you.

19. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    buhh Me i want to participate! is a big challenge for me ;w;!

20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol fair enough,

Current Script Ideas:

3 - Map enemies / troops based on party level. - cabfe

4 - Wardrobe Scene. - Nio Kasgami

5 - A script that lets you show actor Battlers like RPG Maker XP did, along with the ability to change them via a script call, so it wouldn't JUST be tied to class changing. - Solo

Current Participants:

1 - Me

2 - Zalerinian

3 - Nio Kasgami

Zalerinian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.