How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Good news boys and girls! IIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

I am curious as to a few things regarding the rules, however.

- Script to be written within a certain time period.

Was there a consensus on time? Was that the week thing that was spoken of in previous posts?

- All code Should be native to RPG Maker VX Ace - (RGSS3 Only - no alternative languages)

So we cannot make a DLL file, for example, to accompany and extend the ruby code? Can we use the DLLs built-in with Windows? Do we really even need them??

As for the script itself, I think I'm pretty good with all of these all but the XP battlers one. I do have one from my to-do list from work, if you don't mind me adding it.

A script that spawns a projectile that can go in any direction for 360 degrees with specific properties:

- Projectile appears in front of an event or specific coordinates and shoots in a specific direction or towards another event, in a straight line.

- Ability to make the projectile go through walls or hit them and disappear/explode

- Projectile hitting the player should trigger a special common event.

- Projectile hitting an event or Enemy should trigger a special event.

- Emphasize less lag.

- Animating projectile would be awesome.

- Any way to do this without the projectile being an event?

If this is too complex for this event that's fine. Let me know when we all have a decision made.

Edit: I am leaning a bit towards the actor not attacking certain monsters. Also I am not familiar with the XP battles, so I'll actually have to withdraw my vote for that one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    welcome back ^-^

To answer your questions... No, there has not yet been a time period decided. PVGames suggested a 1 week time period which would be suitable. Alternatively, it could be done over the coming weekend.

No DLL's allowed as this can heavily increase both efficiency and would enable the creativity of things that ruby just cant do - at least not within a reasonable amount of code...

I think the scripts should essentially be plug and play as it would make it much easier for people to access and judge.

Your script idea does seem a little complex for this kind of thing; however, I can confirm this can be done without the use of events as the projectile.

I would probably just make a sprite class that cycles through each frame of the image (thus allowing animation).

3. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Then for now I'll stick with the actors not attacking certain monsters, and the weekend does seem good, however I have work Saturday night from 4-10, plus closing time (and additional work if there's a line), so unless you can shift it over or allow me to send in the ending a bit late then that's no good for me. I do have off from school on Monday, if that matters.

4. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, its a long weekend for most places (i think), so it could be done from midnight friday - midnight on monday.

5. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    well Naturally do exemple a classic Scene_class make me only one week (or two when something don't work in my script's)

6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, it will depend on what script is being written to how long the deadline will be.

7. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ...But, of course, it would be ideal if there were an option to automatically tie it to class changing for convenience.

However, if Zalerinian (or anyone else) has a problem with this, I don't mind if you disregard it. I actually think this Code-Off is a really fantastic idea, and I honestly think it would be really good for the community if it were to become a regular thing. No? :p

8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It could become a regular thing i guess, if enough scripters show an interest in participating. For now, I am just happy I have someone to test my knowledge against ^_^

I think the script and deadline can be decided upon sometime tomorrow. Once everyone agree's - the battle shall begin ;)

Solo likes this.
  9. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd happily do this regularly, perhaps one or two times a month with a week of dev time and a week of judge/test time.

Solo likes this.
  10. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    Hum yup I will participate some time if you make him official x3

(and I guess when I will have some spare time between my manga and rm conception  I can participate~

and what said zal seem correct it is similar to the weekly art challenge~

11. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think every week could be a little much, but one per month could be doable. The new one could be announced at the beggining of the month with details on the script - chosen via poll by the community. Then the deadline could be 1 week before the end of the month, all scripts must be submitted by then. That gives a week for votes before the new comp begins ^_^

But yea, I would also happily make this a regular thing. it would be great if it could expand to include people that werent as confident in their script writing abilities. Perhaps with less complex scripts. That way, even the people who are just begining can test their self against others in a similar position :)

Solo and Alexander Amnell like this.
  12. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So then let's start this one in June, since it's only a little more than a week away. And I suppose 1 per month is fine. We'll still need to get approval for the event, which I think Archeia may do since she seemed to support this, and then we need to get a poll up for voting on the scripts.

Solo likes this.
  13. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're looking for script ideas, you could always just go through this list of RGSS3 Script Requests and see who can implement the most in a certain amount of time.

14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That seems acceptable to me. It would give time for people to decide on a script and for others to decide whether they want to participate or not :)

Then everyone would have a few weeks to write the script and a few for voting on who's is best :)

Helpful for the community, but its also kind of straying from the point of both writing the same scripts :/

15. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I thought that this mini-contest was actually about making people learn something new, but ok (TCP/IP is the scariest but coolest thing I know of ;^; that it's still doable with some effort -?- and that could be a cool thing to have later on, you know, multiplayer FTW! think about dee pozibiliteezzz!).

Depending on what ends up being the challenge, I will participate (and lose, and be seen as a total bluff, and everyone will hate me and laugh of me and I will shrink and die, and sound like "pop").

Dramatic as always, I'm drama itself. (?).

?????? likes this.
  16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea its about learning, but also about comparing your code to others. Something so complex would dramatically restrict the amount of people who wanted to participate :)

Hell... Most online games have whole teams to write their server processing codes :p

nio kasgami likes this.
  17. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    yep online game require a lot of coding and adjusting~

only a battle system is hard in a regular rpg maker game so imagine do a online game system??

PS: dekita-dono where did you get this so awesome font >:3?

18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which awesome font would that be?

I didnt use any strange fonts in my post :o

19. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    the code off banner xD!

20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh lol...

http://flamingtext.co.uk/

The font in question was the Matrix logo.

Its what I use to make all my text images. Its free and easy - as long as its for non commercial use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.