How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would definitely be interested in doing this, but I'm pretty busy iRL so I'd like a week to do whatever we decide, not just a weekend.

Out of the suggested options,

All four of these appeal to me. I think the battler viewing one is a mite bit complex for me, unless I'm misunderstanding what's being asked.

EDIT:

I haven't seen any actual conversation about this one, but I thought I should bring it up:

I actually have a working version of this in my commercial game in-development so I feel like if this was chosen I would be cheating. If everyone wants to do it anyway, I'll just sit it out (or refine it and submit it but not actually enter the competition or something).

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  2. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You could both write the same script at the same time.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What a very interesting and intriguing idea! I love the thought of this becoming an ongoing thing, for as many as want to participate each time.

I would totally take you up on the challenge, except for three factors:

- I work full time so my time is limited

- I have a game that I REALLY need to get finished and released, and need to stop allowing myself to be distracted by things like ... well, THIS

- I know you'd thrash me! ;)

If it becomes a regular event, I will definitely take part down the track.

Solo likes this.
  4. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds lika a neat idea. I wonder if I should attend this bur I haven't coded in a while. Oh well :p

5. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think, from the amount of interest that has been shown in under 24 hours of the topic being made this could easily become a regular thing.

Maybe call it code club - where...

rule one of code club

- you must always encrypt your code club code,

rule two of code club

- you must always encrypt your code club code... (fight club reference ^_^)

Anyway, it seems as though doing over a few weeks is best for most people. I think, for this first one at least, we should begin at the end of this month, with a two week period for writing the script. a 1 Week Period for people to judge the scripts - then a 1 week period to vote for the next script to be written - or something like that.

Maybe someone with a more organized mind has some good ideas for how it should flow?

I think that the less complex the script features are - the more people that will participate - which is better for the community as a whole. It always annoyed me that there was all kinda art competitions and game making competitions - I cant make good art, games are rarely finished being made due to my scripting and always finding a new system to write. It would be great if this idea could expand into a regular event for people who fall into this kind of category to be able to interact more with the community, as its a pretty good one from what I have experienced.

You also shouldnt let the other scripters taking part determine your decision as to whether you take part or not.. If you feel you can competently write the script, do it, see how you go, then make it better, add crap to it, make sure its gonna be better than the other entries, make the code more complex, make the code more tidy, make it MORE ;)

I am really happy about the level of interest for this. I honestly thought that this had a high change of getting laughed at, just due to how unusual it is. But the fact people are wanting to participate in one way or another is just awesome ^_^

Gold Stars to everyone :D

6. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Great idea Dekita.

I'm probably too lazy to participate myself, but I do wish you fun.

That is an excellent reason to take up the challenge. Not only do you gain experience through your own creation. It will also make you able to learner more quickly from other scripts. Expecting better scripters to solve the problem as well and see how they solved the very same problem is a perfect learning opportunity.

The other factors are of course much more reasonable :p

*hugs*

- Zeriab

Solistra and ?????? like this.
  7. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I completely agree with that. Its the whole reason I wanted to do this.

We should maybe decide on a script to do sometime soon, to avoid people from losing motivation and such things :)

8. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One script I could throw into the "potential" pile is a bestiary scene that automatically adds enemy entries when you encounter said enemies. It's probably been done before, but it's something I'm just interested in doing in general.

?????? likes this.
  9. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will add it to the list then ^_^

Potential Scripts...

1 - Actor not attacking specific enemies. - Archeia

2 - Skills have multi elements and various effects based on its elements. - Alexander Amnell

3 - Map enemies / troops based on party level. - cabfe

4 - Wardrobe Scene. - Nio Kasgami

5 - Bestiary Scene - where enemies are automatically added when encountered / beaten. - BadMinotaur

I think that is enough for the potential scripts. Dont want to have too many any end up with too many people having conflicting opinions.

Could 'Insert Person With Relevant Authority' add a poll to this topic for which script should be written? That would be great. Then anyone can vote for the type of script they would like to see. A week for the voting end date would be perfect i think :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    BadMinotaur likes this.
  10. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure you can add a poll yourself, you just need to use the full editor by clicking the 'use full editor' button, and then setting up a poll like on a brand new post.

?????? likes this.
  11. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

Quick question: why not look into pair programming if you're interested in learning alternative methods and such? It can be very useful.

Having said that, I'm also too busy lately to commit to doing anything like this, but I'd like to think that I would be very good at judging the objective quality of any code written. I also realize that a couple of other users have already stated that they would like to judge entries, but I feel like that role is the one where I could actually be of use.

?????? likes this.
  12. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good Shout bro. You where 100% accurate ^_^ I hardly ever use the full editor and had never noticed that :D Now i feel like a newb lol

Pair programming would be me and [x] person writing a script together ? Sounds interesting, but im quite funny about how I work :/

I think you are right in the fact that people with practical code writing experience would be 'more qualified' to judge a 'script-off' type thing. The people who use the script are almost as important though, as most scripters see bugs and small mods as a minor inconvenience that has to be fixed, non scripting users have to ask for help or go without. I do agree though, for comparing the quality of code, people such as yourself would be best ^_^

13. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

Not quite, but close. Pair programming is more like having someone watch over you as you write your code, asking you about why you're going about certain approaches and offering suggestions. Usually the one watching would be in something of a mentoring position, but not always -- pair programming with a peer can be very effective, as well. It's more about a constant feedback loop: you don't work in a complete vacuum, which makes you consider what you're doing and why you're doing it much more than you would working entirely on your own.

Generally, that tends to lead to better practices and more forethought about what you wish to do.

14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ahhh I see. I actually really like the sounds of that. I feel I can generally explain my methods fairly well and the rationality behind why i write things the way I do.

Unfortunately, NO ONE, and I mean, NO ONE, I know writes code. At least not people that live near me IRL. People online and things yea, but thats hardly an ideal environment for such an activity :(

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did wonder about something like that - streaming your coding, maybe. I tinkered with livestream a while ago and found it incredibly slow.

16. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

You could use something like Cloud9, though that would require moving your code from Cloud9 to the Script Editor (or vice versa), which isn't exactly ideal, but could certainly work.

Honestly, a collaborative editor for scripting could theoretically be written. Unfortunately, I don't really care enough at the moment to do that myself (I don't use the Script Editor at all anyway), though I've thought of writing my own editor for RGSS coding anyway.

Maybe it'll exist someday, but not anytime soon. I have too much to work on already.

17. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A collaborative editor would be pretty useful, especially for that kind of thing. Also useful for things like explaining how to fix bugs etc quickly :)

Also, I added the poll to the topic, so if everyone could take a minute to vote, that would be appreciated. Dunno whether I should cast a vote myself...

18. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have streamed me coding before. I had an astonishing one viewer. It went pretty well, we talked a bit, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I was going to stream me completely wrecking you during the competition, but now I have to wait until June :p

?????? likes this.
  19. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Confidence. I like that. However, dont be fooled. I do plan on producing raw epicness with whatever script is being written. Gonna go out my way to Beat everyone else - hands down ^_^

If there are enough script entries, there could be a 1st , 2nd and 3rd place. The judging could be done on a scoring basis. Dunno how we could have that vote on here though? There will probably be some sort of online site that allows public scoring of things :p

20. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

Over-confidence is generally a sign that you don't know enough to recognize when your code isn't optimal. I'm never happy with anything I write, much less release.

(And yes, I realize those comments were just playful banter, but that's a fair point to make anyway.)

?????? likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.