How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What kind of scoring do you mean? One where we can have comments on them? We can probably setup a Google Docs form for a temporary solution until we find or make something ourselves.

Edit:

Oh don't get me wrong, I pretty much think everything I write is bad. I have a nice little folder of things I really need to redo or fix. For example, my object reinitializer, which has gained a nice little following, has a critical bug in it that I've yet to fix. The nature of the bug involves me needing to completely rewrite it in a different way, but everything I come up with to fix it I just feel is bad, and never works. I usually just feel that the code itself is too ugly to be released itself.

And yes, I do have a notice stating that the script is indeed bugged and should not be used in a production environment until the issue is fixed, but for the time it still serves as a good utility if you just need to reload from a spot you saved in before dding scripts. Your equips and items and such just have a habit of going away.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I mean like so that the people judging would give scores on each aspect of the script...

Something like...

- Ease Of Use - 5/10

- Features - 5/10

- Code Efficiency - 5/10

and then the person with the highest overall score would win. ^_^

That could be best esspecially if there are numerous entries. Rather than people just selecting whos they like best via a poll.

Ruby likes this.
  3. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular -- I know you were saying that playfully. I just saw the opportunity to share an important point and decided to do so. :p

?????? likes this.
  4. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Try this and let me know what you think.

5. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Important points make the world go round ^_^

And yea man, that looks pretty good. I think it would be best to host the voting on either that site or a very similar one. As long as people can vote, leave comments and score various aspects of the script along with me / the public being able to access the results - preferably the public, then theres no accusations of fixing the results ^_^

6. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  7. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    would there be a way for it be something like...

Script 1 :

Ease of use:

Features:

Etc..

Script 2 :

Ease of use:

Features:

Etc..

That way each scoring sections points could be tallied up for a total score. And also give additional feedback for each of the scripts.

8. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If this is to become a regular thing, I suggest that have a thread for each month where suggestions can be made for the following month's competition. The final week prior to the competition they would be compiled into a poll and people could vote on it but not add new suggestions to the list for that month.

Might I suggest that a way to implement this would be to have a deadline for each day's work and exchange scripts at that time. Then review them and post your questions to other individual to be reviewed and answered prior to starting the next day's work?

?????? likes this.
  9. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea that will probably be very similar to what will happen - providing that the 'buzz' for this kind of event doesnt die within a few days :p

10. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah yes, a little average of the scores would be nice.

Is this a one time thing? Or will it continue over a period of time?

I think this is a fantastic idea, and think that it shouldn't just be limited to them facing you rather than everyone in certain rounds or something to get everyone involved.

11. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hoooo my wardrobe scene sugestion is pretty popular :3!

By the way every type of code is allow for the rgss? because i am generaly a sprite user :3!

12. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not to poop on anyone's party, but Moghunter already wrote a Bestiary script. It doesn't log enemies when they're merely encountered, though (they must be defeated).

13. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

A "bestiary" is still the best possible option given when it comes to testing how to write good, clean code that also makes use of a decent amount of RGSS3. In addition to that, it's useful, a fairly simple problem to solve (with a number of interesting solutions), and could easily be written in a week.

Also, I honestly don't think Moghunter is a good example to follow.

14. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I concede.

May I ask why? I'm not asking in Moghunter's defense, I just want to know why.

15. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't know, I could think of loads of things to test writing good clean code.  Implementing some solid data structures, anything with random numbers where you can force an even spread (the rand the computer gives you isn't evenly distributed by a long shot). An efficient path-finding algorithm. Good AI (even not-stupid AI).

At least some of the above could be used in some of the options given (I should've jumped in this thread sooner to suggest some. There's always next month ;) ).

Whose going to judge the 'clean code' part? Open to everybody? That's a crap shoot if ever there was one.

16. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

Sure. Actually, just because you asked, I started up my VM so I could take a close look at some of Moghunter's code, considering I originally said that simply based off of my initial reactions to seeing some of it, which isn't really specific enough for me to answer your question.

So I'm looking at the Atelier "Master Demo" now -- in particular, the "Monster Book", since that seems the most relevant at the moment.

Basically, while Moghunter seems to know generally how to write... programmatically, they don't seem to show much understanding of Ruby or how Ruby itself operates. Their code technically works, but it's inefficient and ultimately doesn't show much ability to understand how and why to design an approach -- rather, it operates everything very bluntly, which tends to make the solutions rigid.

As a fantastic example of what I mean by this, here's a small bit of the code from the "Monster Book" script:

for i in 0...$game_system.bestiary_defeated.size comp += 1 if $game_system.bestiary_defeated != nilendThis is wildly inefficient and shows a lack of knowledge about one of the most basic features of Ruby: iterators. Basically, for loops are iterators on training wheels (and with different lexical scoping, but that's not usually relevant in most cases). In this particular example, it's causing far more array indexes than are actually necessary to perform the operation needed.

Code:
    $game_system.bestiary_defeated.each { |enemy| comp += 1 unless enemy.nil? }
    I'd also be remiss if I didn't point out that the code is around 600 lines and could easily be half of that, and even then could be made far more modifiable and extensible. Personally, I'd redesign almost every single element of it.
    None of those suggestions make use of everything I mentioned -- in fact, most of them completely work around RGSS3 entirely (except the path-finding algorithm). Those seem more like general programming exercises than ones with RPG Maker scripting in mind.

I honestly think that the bestiary is the best possible script given the options that have been given in terms of being the most pertinent all-around while making use of multiple areas of RGSS3, and I think that's a good starting point for something "challenging."

I'm opinionated enough to do that entirely on my own, thank you very much.

Zeriab likes this.
  17. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, this looks interesting. I might be a challenger :3

18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for your thoughts ^_^

Judging by how popular this idea seems to be - it will most likely be a regular event. Also, from the amount of interest shown. It seems as though its going to be more 'face the community' than 'face Dekita'.

If you can write code and want to get better at that, then I would encourage you to enter. Chances are that every one of the script entered will be written completely differently. Then you can see how others approach the same issue.

Yea, if you have any suggestions for scripts that could be written for this kind of event, feel free to share them. I am sure that there will be at least be another couple of this type of thing over the next few months as I really do want to challenge myself and this seems like it could be the way to do so.

Yea, I agree that if everyone can judge the code then, most likely, the majority of marks in that category will have been given by people with inadequate knowledge. :/

Ideally, we would want a panel of script writers to judge the code and a panel of non scripters to judge the scripts 'ease of use' with both panels getting to score on the scripts features. At least I think that would be best.

Until an ideal panel has been established, this kind of thing will have to do ^_^

Would this be more / less / the same in terms of efficiency ?

comp = $game_system.bestiary_defeated.compact.inject(0) { |r, e| r += 1 if e }I think more, but I could easily be wrong ^_^

Feel free to join in - the more people who partake, the more code each of us will be able to compare against :)

19. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I shall consider joining this as well.

Archeia and ?????? like this.
  20. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

It's about the same. The best is what I intentionally didn't mention, which is this:

comp = $game_system.bestiary_defeated.compact.size...which you should have seen considering your approach just then. ;) Edit: The reason I didn't mention it, by the way, is mostly due to the point I was making about iterators; that still stands for a very substantial part of the code I looked at in Moghunter's demo, along with a number of other coding practices that are less than ideal in Ruby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.