How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was actually going to post that code instead, but I figured the array would still need to be iterated over for it to be equally comparable ^_^

I always thought moghunters code looked real nice but upon further investigation and modificaiton of the scripts, I founds slightly better ways to do certain things. The loops where definitely one of those things :p

That being said, there are undoubtedly scripts of mine which have less than ideal code.

2. Solistra

Solistra Veteran Veteran

It doesn't need to be -- the only reason they were iterating that way was to ensure that any nil values would not be included in the encountered enemies. Since compact removes those values from the array, the iteration becomes unnecessary.

Likewise, the reason your inject solution wasn't ideal is because it still uses the conditional and iterates rather than simply grabbing the size of the compacted array.

Also, everyone writes stupid code. Everyone.

?????? likes this.
  3. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French

In my own personnal opinion i think yes is make the coding a little rigid but it work perfectly in my opinion

And in moghunter aprentice i dont think moghunter is a bad exemple to follow i think is simply a coding taste

And is coding is simple to understand and we have to take in consideration moghunter principaly use the sprite method

Plus the beastiary script is a old script and dont represent anymore the new way of how moghunter do is code...

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  4. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is still important to point out that the script in question is not optimal, nor as easy to read as it could be if done the "ruby" way. Enumerators and blocks are ruby solutions that are also optimized for performance, and they come with the added benefit of being much more humanly readable than for loops.

When we come with criticizism it is only meant to be helpful; to the author as well as those that read the script. Without this criticizm, we will never grow as scripters / programmers :)

nio kasgami likes this.
  5. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    sure i understand this and i never say we dont have to critisism XD i just dontt thinked moghunter is considered like a bad exemple to follow And yes i admit this script need some optimisation and i think i should speak with about this script

:3

(Sorry if my coment was bad interpreted)

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We're getting a little bit off topic now ;)

?????? likes this.
  7. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only slightly ^_^

Anyway, I was planning on leaving the poll active until Sat the 31st. Then which ever script has won the vote can begin being written.

I was also thinking a date of either Monday the 16th or Monday 23rd June for all entries to be 'entered'.

Whats your guys thoughts on those kind of time frames ?

8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both the 16th and 23rd sound really good to me. Then I should be able to find the time no matter how busy I am :)

?????? likes this.
  9. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think from the 31st to the 16th of June would be just fine for this. 23rd might be giving us a little too much time IMO, but I know how it can be to be busy.

?????? likes this.
  10. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really like this idea :) I've been hoping for something like this since there are other contests that I couldn't even begin to participate in :)

I'd like to enter in this one and will try to put my fragile ego aside since in reality I am still learning lots. The only thing is, I'd rating voting be done via the boards if this event becomes mod supported. They can prevent some of the drama that has happened in the art contests with repeat votes and user creating multiple accounts to vote up their entries.

?????? likes this.
  11. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lol I didnt even think of that. With that taken into consideration, maybe it would be best if it was just a simple, 'whos script did you preffer' question, but thats not really adequate information for helping people improve their own scripts :/

12. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Or could do a simple overall vote on the forums via a pole and ask if the votes have the time to fill out the offsite vote to help with the feedback on the scripts. I like the more detailed option since it gives more information to work with. And it'd still be anonymous.

13. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea I prefer the detailed option as well. Thats kind of the whole point in this - to help script writers get feedback on scripts and see how they can improve their code via comparison against code that does something similar.

If anyone has any other thoughts on how the voting should / could take place, please leave your comments.

14. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's important we get feedback not only from seasoned scripters or similar judges, but users who are more used to using scripts than writing them. It's the only way to really get good at writing scripts for RM's :)

nio kasgami and ?????? like this.
  15. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    I understand what he wanted to say yup it will be cool if we can write feedback for each script so it can help a lot  for improving like

exemple if I do a super wardrobe script really awesome but it was to hard to edit I will be happy to heard some feedback like : I like How look your script in game but..it was a pain to edit

so after this feedback I will think : Ho I really should change some part for make him more easy to edit!

so improvement improvement improvement~

(another question : after the contest the script will still be usable to use? it will be cool if we do a compilation after a certain moment~)

?????? likes this.
  16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess its upto the script writer as to whether the script can be used afterwords or not :)

Mine will probably be released with the same t+c's as my other scripts :)

17. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If this is going to be detailed (as it should be), why not make a little subforum for this? It will allow for it's own thread per each contest period and allow us users to give accurate feedback on how we feel about the script. Rather than this one large thread that could easily be way too overwhelming to post in every period.

nio kasgami and ?????? like this.
  18. Dr.Yami

Dr.Yami 。◕‿◕。 Developer

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Livestream coding is nice too xD

nio kasgami and Ruby like this.
  19. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oooh, I like this! It could be really nice to have these coding "fights" be something that happens at regular intervals, and each time the desired script is voted on. This would not only be fun for scripters and users, but it would also provide an added incentive for all parties to come together and create the scripts we all want :)

Ruby likes this.
  20. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Ruby you mean like how the pixel madness events are set up? That actually sounds perfect :) Each entry gets it's own thread that folks can respond to it.. with what they like or don't like

Ruby and ?????? like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.