How The 'Code-Off' Began...

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it could be best to have as vague a description as possible. That way people can do as you say and be as inventive as they want. As long as the script does the main feature required, the rest should be done by your own imagination.

So for example, a wardrobe script - where you can change your actors clothes. Is an ideal description of the challenge. That way people can do it however they wanted. You could use individual components as you suggest (by exporting the char generator) or you could make it change actor spritesheets or whatever. As long as it done that, the rest is upto the writers creativity :p

2. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While a vague description with room for creative freedom is good, I feel that this is a bit too vague. It should be a bit more clearly defined what people are voting for; people voting for "Wardrobe Scene" might envision something really crazy, or really simple; how will this be judgeable when the goal isn't clearly defined? :)

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I'm thinking there should really be a basic requirements list so we all know what we're writing - what are the minimum goals to be achieved? Maybe the person who makes each suggestion should provide a description of what happens from a player's point of view, and only those with a description with enough detail should be considered for voting?

Galenmereth likes this.
  4. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok, how's this:

Tie it to an item (a wardrobe, perchance?).

Character walks up to wardrobe, interacts with it and is given a series of choices (or choices of choices) for apparel.

The actor's appearance changes based on the "dialog" decision made.

Edit: You could have a mirror to change hairstyles as well, if you're going to go all the way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  5. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I am who are suggest the

Idea so i will give some more detail

First it is a special scene who allow to change the character graphics

Is like a closet when you activate this open a scene with a list of clothe

This allow to change character graphics (or more?) Without a tonne of event setting

It can be attach to the actor id or the class id (or more!)

The disposition of the scene can be dispose with all your imagination.

So it is only how i thinked when i posted the idea..

?????? and Shaz like this.
  6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those are some very valid points you have there.

For future events we will be able to gain a fuller description of the suggested scripts due to having a thread dedicated to the suggestions. I also think it would be best for future suggestions to have a little more detail. Unless its not required - like the Bestiary description.

When the vote for the chosen script closes later today (13 hours time), I will get a good description from the person who suggested the script to ensure that all entries are going to adhere to the general guidelines ^_^

7. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's a crazy idea but the coding master would be allow to the built in character generator to be used in game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only a few hours left to vote. Looks like the wardrobe script is gonna win it ^_^

9. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Could the wardrobe include a hair salon and a shoe store?

(and I would beg for a pet shop too but not all people use tiny dogs as accessories! LOL)

10. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ^_^ Lets not let this become another script request forum :D

Edit::

Voting has finished. The results are in....

1. Actor not attacking specific enemies. - Archeia's Suggestion (13 votes [17.57%])
    2. Skills have multi elements and various effects based on its elements. - Alexander Amnell's Suggestion (12 votes [16.22%])
    3. Map enemies / troops based on party level. - cabfe's Suggestion (12 votes [16.22%])
    4. Wardrobe Scene, to change actors clothes. - Nio Kasgami's Suggestion (21 votes [28.38%])
    5. Bestiary Scene - where enemies are automatically added when encountered / beaten. - BadMinotaur's Suggestion (16 votes [21.62%])

Nio Kasgami's suggestion won ^_^

There has been a new thread created for the first challenge.

I will also update the script suggestion post with the unsuccessful script suggestions shortly.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think a requirement to add enough detail that people won't have a hundred questions when making a suggestion for a script is reasonable. Also, no "ABC script like in XYZ game" suggestions. There needs to be enough explanation that someone could write a script based on what you say, without having to go off and look up other games/scripts/whatever.

12. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Indeed.

Too many people say things like "Script This Feature From This Game That NO ONE Has Ever Heard Of..."

I will add some additional information into the script suggestion thread to ensure that such atrocities do not occur during these events ^_^

Anyway guys...

Its been fun but it seems that this topic has now run its course...

This idea has expanded further and faster than I could have imagined.

Not only was there other script writers that where interested in a 'code-off' against another scripter. There was so many scripters that an official event had to be created ^_^

So, for those interested in participating in the first ever "Code-Off Challenge" you can find all the details of the challenge HERE.

This thread is now only really good for people who wish to learn how the challenge began ^_^

Therefor... (been absolutely dying to do this)

This thread is being closed, due to being unnecessary. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Shaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.