SebKuro

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, sorry for the silly questions.
But I was wondering how to add animated images/gifs (or movie?)
and a better way to play custom animations for the player/npc sprites instead of using the up, down, left movement because it doesn't work smoothly for me..

I just want to play some small animations scenes with my art but I don't know if theres a way to animate in the game already with images or a plugin.. Any help/tutorials out there will be appreciated!
I just really admire small animations done in games I seen like in Omori.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your animation is very short (three frames) and repeats, you can use the "Stepping" option for the event. For example, you can try this out using the !Crystal image in the "Characters" folder of MV.

I sometimes use "Direction Fix" as well so when you interact with it it doesn't change to a different direction in the spritesheet (in this case, it would be a different-colored crystal). But if your image is that of an idle character breathing, then you won't want "Direction Fix".

You can also turn stepping animation on and off in the player's/event's movement route.

step.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure!

There's a wide variety of ways to add custom animations, but based on your saying of "Small animations", I'm thinking along the lines of things like door opening and pushing animations in the Overworld sprites.

For main characters, you'll have to use the option "Change Actor Images" on page 3 of the coding menu. I've found that it tends to be easier to figure out all the up/down/left/right animations you pick in your sprite sheets, and put all of those under a Common Event for use later while building.
For example, figure out how to set and position a door opening animation you make in all 4 directions, then, once you create that sequence of movements, store all of that code in a Common Event so that you can just recall the Common Event ID during gameplay for easier access.

If you're asking how to add the custom animations in the first place, you need to fo the following first:

1) Make sure your custom sprite sheet has the proper dimensions and names ($! using these symbols if needed).

Note: There could be a ton of technicalities here depending on what general dimensions you want in your game, but for the sake of an example, the default size of a sprite sheet in MV is 144 pixels width, and 192 pixels in height. (This forms a 3 x 4 spritesheet with 12 cells total, 3 rows and 4 columns, with each cell being 48 x 48 pixels exactly).
If none of that made sense, here's a post that greatly breaks all of that down:

2) Import your finished sprite sheet to the "proper" folder.

For overworld sprites and NPCs, this will be the "characters" folder.
For objects and furniture, this should be under "tilesheets" folder, etc.

Hope that helps!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeftaquitos