How to add choices / picture events in front view battles?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am new to RPGMZ, and I am attempting to create enemy attacks that function similarly to events, where they can display pictures and provide choices during a battle. How would I go about creating something like:

An enemy ogre that has a grapple attack. They have a 20% chance of using this attack every turn, but will guaranteed use it once they are at 50% or below HP. When the ogre uses its grapple attack, my custom image of the ogre displays on the screen and gives you the choice to dodge or block. Dodging has a chance of avoiding the attack tied to Agility. Blocking guarantees it lands, but the damage you take from the grapple is reduced by your Defense stat.

While grappled, the character is unable to act except for struggling which has an incrementally higher chance of breaking free. Other party members can attack the ogre which has a chance of freeing their ally from its grasp. Every turn they remained grappled, they take double the damage of the previous turn. On the third turn of remaining grappled, the character will automatically faint.

Any help and advice for this would be greatly appreciated. If I require a plugin for this, please point me in the right direction! Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first part of the probabilities can be set in the action pattern for the enemy. you'll need to set the rating for the skills to use in such a way that those probabilities are the result - and yes, that means that you have to place the same skill multiple times with different ratings anddifferent conditions to get the weight of the skill to 20/100-equivalents.

If you want the player to have a choice, then the skill needs to call a common event that gives that choice and then uses force action with different skills to get the different results.

as for the grapple effect, that will require a mix of states and troop events and is a bit more complex to achieve.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The first part of the probabilities can be set in the action pattern for the enemy. you'll need to set the rating for the skills to use in such a way that those probabilities are the result - and yes, that means that you have to place the same skill multiple times with different ratings anddifferent conditions to get the weight of the skill to 20/100-equivalents.

If you want the player to have a choice, then the skill needs to call a common event that gives that choice and then uses force action with different skills to get the different results.

as for the grapple effect, that will require a mix of states and troop events and is a bit more complex to achieve.
Thank you so much for the help. It has been helping me exponentially learn how to use this engine!

I'm unsure if I should open another thread for this; but is there a core RPGMZ function or plugin to be able to place enemy pictures outside of the troop window? I would like to have their lower body occupy the text window area as well, to the bottom of the screen.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRCMuller