How to add custom tilesets?

SailorRose

Pietro Fattorello
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello! This is my first post on the forum.

So, I recently downloaded RPG Maker MV since it was the latest addition and I wanted to try it out. Now, I've NEVER made a RPG, i've made games in the past but nothing as complex as RPG. I only started playing around with the editor a few weeks ago and I'm working on my mapping and programming skills. Basically the only thing I'm good at is writing stories and characters.  :headshake:

But anyways, what I wanna know is... How exactly do you add custom tilesets to your game? I downloaded some tilesets from this forum, put them into the img folder for one of my projects and... I'm not sure what to do next. I've been looking around for a tutorial of any kind but nothing seems to of be any help. Maybe I'm just too slow, but really I have zero experience. I know you have to add them to your database, but when I do that they just don't show up. So I must be doing something wrong.

So, if anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They need to go into the img/tilesets folder (I'm assuming that's where you put them, but you didn't specifically say, so just pointing that out).

Then go into the Tilesets tab in the database, create a new tileset, and select your images to go into the appropriate slots.  Usually they are named with A1-A5 or B-E as part of the name.  If they are, be sure to only put them in the same-named slots (A1 tileset images should only go in the A1 slot).  If they are not named, use the descriptions above the slots to determine where they should go.  From memory, A1 is animated autotiles - water and waterfalls.  A2 are ground tiles.  A3 are house wall tiles.  A4 are solid fences and trees.  A5 is 8 tiles wide and 16 tiles high and are not autotiles.  NONE of these should have transparency on the tileset, normally (A2 is the exception, where some of the tiles on the right might be partially transparent).  The B-E tiles are all interchangeable.  They're all the same size, and can have transparency.

Once you've done that, you've got to set up the flags.  The most frequently used flag is the passage flag - X for not-passable, O for passable, star for tiles that should appear in front of the player (like the tops of two-tile-high trees on the B-E set).

Finally you create a new map and tell it to use that tileset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZelloksThunder