How to Add Files to Ace's Generator

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The face and the mini are partially linked. If there is a layer on the mini for it and it matches # on the face, then it will be selected and

show up. If the layer is not in both places, it will only show up on the one. I haven't tested if wings could show up on face, but it is

possible. I'd hope they were under the rest of the layer, but I'm not sure.

Edit:

Hi all,

So I have a few things I highly recommend to help prevent people from getting discouraged when trying to make parts for the generator.

These are all just suggestions, more experienced graphic designers will think these ideas are kind of "No duh" things, but not everyone

that plays with RMVXA is a graphic designer. Also, this is no small undertaking to make parts that will work properly there are file size

considerations and potentially Alpha Layer concerns. Those that are Graphic Designers, should understand what that means. I'm still

working to learn myself. SO, that stated, not all of my information will not be 100% accurate and having a wife that is a Graphic Designer

does not make me one by default :)

1. Layering Graphic Editing Program

2. I have used Paint Shop Pro 7.0 for a LONG time and it is outdated and a paid for program
  3. GIMP is a free GNU project for anyone and everyone: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
  4. Create a base frame layer
    I've actually made a few different layers to my Base Frame File

[*]Head

[*]Body

[*]Eye placement

[*]Nose Placement

[*]Mouth Placement

[*]Anthro Placings

1. Unless you want to have the same facing for all of your character, you will need to make a different base file for each
    different facing as well as be ready to make parts for that facing, unless you want to work off the base face/model like
    I did in my original posting in the spoiler here:
    Look in the Spoiler for an example of just a modified part with the same facings.

2. Be patient. You will be making every detail from scratch unless you adopt the same facing as the base parts, which will save
    some time, but I like dynamic facings as opposed to straight on.

[*]Muzzle placement

[*]Ear Placement

Last edited by a moderator:

elosmoke

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have something I need help with if anyone knows the cause of why this is happening. I edited one of the FrontHair files (#14) kept the same name (obviously), but when i open the generator it doesn't update what I changed. I don't have any duplicates (I didn't make a back-up at all I just straight edited the file and saved it with the same name) so I'm not sure what's going on, If anyone has an Idea I'm be greatful to hear it.

edit: I've been messing with this for about 2 hours now, I am completely clueless as to what is going on here. Some one please help me XD

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@elosmoke: It's strange that the generator isn't updating for you, as it should update right away after saving. I'm guessing you saved the edited file in the same folder as the previous one. Did you only edit one part? Did you search through all the seperate colours? Please give as many details as you can about what you've already tried.

elosmoke

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The file is definitely in the correct place. I only edited one color (#2 the light brown) and regardless of knowing this with 100% assurance I actually did search through all the colors lol. I've made new projects (which I knew wouldn't work since the generator is based in the main file folder) I've made copies of the file, deleted the original and replaced it with the copy, I've even tried restarting my computer. I'm at a loss here...

Edit: this might have something to do with my problem, recently my computer crashed while I had a project i was working on open and when I started my computer back up and tried to open the project again it said the file was not supported, so I started a new project. Although all the graphics were still in the project folder I didn't try to transfer them to see if they'd work (I assumed they would) I just deleted them because I planned on starting over from scratch.

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It might be possible that the crash might have caused a corruption, though I'm not entirely sure about that. The only suggestion I can think of is to uninstall/re-install VX Ace(back up your files first, of course!), and hopefully that might solve your problem. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

elosmoke

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's alright, thanks for your help, I might try re-installing later, for now Im just using gimp to copy/paste and edit.

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Also, try changing the gender of the character and see if Color 2 Type 14 shows the change there. As the hair files are under the different gender folders, I believe. Also, there is the type14s file as well, if that has masking it might prevent some of the changes you are looking for. I know I got upset at first when I was editing files and not seeing changes, then I remembered I only did it for the female hair styles and it default to a male character.

EDIT: Did you also check both the front hair and the back hair? The Hair is split between 2 different parts.Depending on what and where was edited, it may have covered the things that you colored.

HamPants

Ayyy!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To shuffle some of the male mouths/parts/etc over to the female generator, it'd be as simple as copying them, and then pasting them into the proper folder with an updated name right? Following the proper naming convention mentioned above, of course. I love the generator, but the female mouth section doesn't exactly leave alot of emotive options, outside of various shades of happy, eh?

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, if you move parts from the male folder to the female folder, you can use them for the female generator. I can't guarantee it'll match up very well, though. :p

Xenophil 2.0

Tutorialist =3
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I went into Ace's Generator file and I only have the "Face" folder o-o

Sentient

--Collective Intelligence--
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What about adding colors to the generator?

A characters face that I made (Outside the generator) has a dark blue hair color, but when I make the sprite in the generator to match the face I cant get dark blue color.

For now am stuck having to go in photoshop and edit the color not for just that character but any that cant get the color in the generator to match.

Edit:

Add color for the dropdown box, I already know that the colors are on the sprite part itself and the drop down box is only changing the color of the sprite part.

Changing the color of that part is as easy as opening up photoshop and changing the hue.

Some people might say "well why dont you do that after you have made and exported the character or mimi sprite?"

Well when the sprite gets exported all the layers are merged and changing the hue means changeing the color of the whole sprite, Skin, Hair, Clothes, ect.ect.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if there is a way to add colors to the sprite by add in more colors to the part sprite then adding the color to the dropdown menu in the generator?

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately, there's no way to add more drop-down options for hair colours without hacking into the program(as far as I know. I'm pretty sure you can't). You'll have to do some work-arounds to get the results you want.

Sentient

--Collective Intelligence--
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well I guess if it was easy you just wouldn't love it as much.

rtester

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where can i get the generator program at?

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It comes with VX Ace. The button for it is between "Sound Test" and "Playtest" in the taskbar of the program.

StarShaking

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am also having a problem getting my new eyes to show up.

Do you have to replace the old eye files, or can you just add more to the file with higher numbers?

Also, I'm still running the trial mode, so is it possible that's the reason I can't seem to change anything.

Finally, do you have to have shadows for every set of eyes?

Sorry if you already answered any of these. I've been trying to go through all the information, but most of it goes over my head.

Lunara

Moon Lady
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've mentioned in the tutorial that you can just add to what's there. I don't know if there's a difference with the trial, but it should work. Additional face parts will work even without a shadow.

Dim

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the guide and the little details. Great help for us newbies, you rock :)

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes in trial mode you can add the new parts it works the same unlike every thing else you arnt limited in the generator at all

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It looks like I'll have quite a time creating characters for a Warriors game. Wonder if I could get away with one that never shows a facial graphic? But that would be taking the easy way out. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For whatever reason I just cant get into the Links Awakening remake even though I know its miles better than the original in almost all regards
Rough Draft. 2nd Video Scene
My new animated paths are beautiful, and look fantastic next to my improved lake/river maps. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarkspurBetula