RMMV How to add/put/use custom animations for unique skills with the YED_SideviewBattler plugin. [Step-By-Step]

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is for RPG Maker MV.

Okay, background: I was looking into how to make the SideviewBattler plugin work with unique skills, rather than just with the normal attack, guard, skill, and magic settings. After posting this, I found another thread related to this subject. It didn't step by step explain how to make the plugin work with unique skill animations, but it did close the gap and make it easier for me to make them work.

As it was a mess to figure it out entirely, what I'll be doing here is going step by step into how to make the YED_SideviewBattler plugin work with your custom animations.

1. Install the YED_SideviewBattler plugin.
[This is done the normal way, by adding the plugin to your (project>js>plugins>) folder and then adding it to your plugin manager.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 020233.png

2. Install the YEP_X_ActSeqPack1 (Action Sequences Pack 1) plugin.
[This is done the normal way, by adding the plugin to your (project>js>plugins>) folder and then adding it to your plugin manager.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 031605.png

3. Make sure both of the previous plugins are in the manager AND active.
[They are automatically set to on during installation, so you should be fine here.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 0206081.png

Screenshot 2021-12-04 020608.png

4. Go through the normal steps of adding a custom animation sheet.
[Refer to the YED_SideviewBattler plugin Help description for this part.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 020917.png

5. For the specific skill animation, you’re going to have to add a *new* <Sideview Battler Motion> to the Actor note box who will be using the animation.
[Next to the 'Name' of this one, give it a unique skill name; as this will be important to connect to later.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 021027.png

Screenshot 2021-12-04 0210271.png

6. Fill all of the rest of the information in for the motion; index, frames, speed, etc.
[As shown above...]

7. Please refer to the YEP_X_ActSeqPack1 help description.
[It is important to read through this one.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 021639.png

8. Find the specific action (1. to 5.) function and copy the entire function.
Here is a short breakdown of what each function corresponds to:
  • Setup Actions - This refers to anything that happens before an action. This can be, but is not limited to the character moving forward, an attack charging, or preparing their weapon or item.
  • Whole Actions - This refers to actions that will affect all of the available targets.
  • Target Actions - This refers to actions that will affect only one (1) target.
  • Follow Actions - This refers to actions that occur after a whole/target action. This can include setting status effects, starting common events, and so on.
  • Finish Actions - This refers to anything at the tail end of an action. Thiscan be anything from skill holds to moving back to starting position.
[Again, I whole-heartedly recommend you read this plugin Help description. This plugin is very powerful, and there are a few very many things you can do with it.]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 021915.png

9. Go to the database and locate the skill you are adding the custom animation for.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 022019.png

10. Paste the function into the note box for the skill.
[I am using the <target action> which is why you see that in the screenshot below. Delete the "action list" text within the <target action>]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 022202.png

11. Instead of entering the <Sideview Battler Motion> list into skill note box, enter the unique skill name (from step #4 above). Refer to the text below, and or my screenshot. Do not enter the brackets from the text below. Leave user as is.
[custom motion unique skill name, user]

Screenshot 2021-12-04 033125.png

12. After following these steps, go ahead and hit the "Battle Test..." option within the 'Troops' section of the database, and see that the animations work as they should. Refer to my video below.
[No, mine isn't perfect, but it does work. Yes, I have some experimenting to do, just as you.]

Important fact: you will need to mess around with the different Action Sequence settings to get your animation to work exactly how you want it to, but it's just that easy to get your animations linked to each of your unique skills in game.

Last edited:

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE: I just watched the "Multiple Frames Sideview Plugin" video on YouTube, and I saw that "Ralph" was using separate animations for the 2 skills that were performed. It seems that it is possible.

Thanks, again!

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Thank you.

@GhostJenson, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

zerobeat032

Oh, it's that Zerobeat kid...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you need Yanfly's Action Sequences for that. it's how I get different motions per skill. in the skill you use the action sequence to call what motion you want. you can even call ones that aren't the standard 18... but yeah I used Action Sequences to do it.

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! Yea, I ended up finding your comments on a post last night about this same subject. When I read them, I went back to the plugin help file, and everything else started to made sense. I would've commented back on that one, but I didn't want to necropost.

I'm going to update my post here with a [Step by Step] on how to do it, so that it's a bit more accessible [easier to find] for someone looking to do this.

Anyways, @zerobeat032 thank you for your help! :D

zerobeat032

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no problem! and that's a really good idea I'd say.

KaitlynKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a specific reason to use the YED sideview battlers over Yanfly's plugin?

zerobeat032

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
more frames of animation per motion and with Action Sequences, you can even use custom motions outside of the base 18.

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you please show how to do this with the idle animation?, I see that in the demonstration you show a unique idle animation.
Thank you in advance

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you please show how to do this with the idle animation?, I see that in the demonstration you show a unique idle animation.
Thank you in advance
I'll do a short one for you, now, but I'll do some research tomorrow and see if this exists. If it doesn't, tomorrow I'll start an in-depth run-through like I did for the one above.

But as for now, I'll show you what you asked (quickly).

- I made a video, because I need to head to sleep soon, but if there's anything that you have a question about, just comment it and I'll add it to my full tutorial. Watch the video in 1080p60. Here's the link.

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll do a short one for you, now, but I'll do some research tomorrow and see if this exists. If it doesn't, tomorrow I'll start an in-depth run-through like I did for the one above.

But as for now, I'll show you what you asked (quickly).

- I made a video, because I need to head to sleep soon, but if there's anything that you have a question about, just comment it and I'll add it to my full tutorial. Watch the video in 1080p60. Here's the link.

This isnt what I asked for, sorry for being unclear but I meant the idle sideview battle animation you show in the tutorial's demo which contains more than 3 frames

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This isnt what I asked for, sorry for being unclear but I meant the idle sideview battle animation you show in the tutorial's demo which contains more than 3 frames
That video is for the idle sideview animation (and any of the basic animations outlined in the YED Sideview Battlers help description). Following those instructions, you'll be able to add an idle pose to your character. The idle animation doesn't require a target action list like the unique skill animations do. It will run, regardless, as long as it is done how I show in the video.

What issue are you running into? If you can describe to me your problem, I can prescribe to you, some kind of fix.

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That video is for the idle sideview animation (and any of the basic animations outlined in the YED Sideview Battlers help description). Following those instructions, you'll be able to add an idle pose to your character. The idle animation doesn't require a target action list like the unique skill animations do. It will run, regardless, as long as it is done how I show in the video.

What issue are you running into? If you can describe to me your problem, I can prescribe to you, some kind of fix.
Thank you, now I understand how to do it
For some reason the video appeared to me as a demo for some kind of shop menu modification
Must've been something wrong on my end

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry to be annoying but I am curious, did you find while utilizing this plugin a constant TypeError: cannot read property "index" of undefined, if so how did you fix it because no matter what I do or how well I follow both your tutorial and the description of the plugin I cant seem to fix it.
Even turning off all non necesary plugins it shows that error, I am asking you because you seem to be the only active person that has been able to make this plugin work.

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mrmetapod

Don't worry, it's not annoying. I appreciate being able to help.

Anyways, I haven't run into an error like that, so far. And I say that as I've started working on adding more characters sprites. Do you think that you can post a few of screenshots?
  • Your error that is coming up
  • The actor note tag box that you're working on
  • Post your sprite sheet
This will help me get an idea of everything going on, and what may wrong.

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"TypeError: cannot read property "index" of undefined"
at Sprite_Actor.updateSideviewFrame (YED_SideviewBattler.js:789:38)
at Sprite_Actor.updateFrame (YED_SideviewBattler.js:774:18)

the rest of the error message states that it also occurs on the default rpg maker js files (rpg_sprites.js) and in YEP battle engine core, battle system CTB, action sequence pack 2 and core upgrades Opt. but disabling the unecesary plugins in that list didnt help and didnt even change the error message

Note box
<Sideview Battler: Hikiko_batsprite>
<Sideview Battler Frames: 30>
<Sideview Battler Speed: 5>
<Sideview Battler Size: 64, 64>

<Sideview Battler Motion>
Name: Wait
Index: 0
Loop
Frames: 3
Speed: 10
</Sideview Battler Motion>

Name: KO
Index: 1
Loop
Frames: 1

Name: Dead
Index: 2
Loop
Frames: 1

Name: Attack
Index: 3
Frames: 29

Name: Magic Attack
Index: 4
Frames: 30

Name: Item
Index: 5
Frames: 17

Name: Dying
Index: 6
Loop
Frames: 5

spritesheet: Hikiko_batsprite.png

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I was looking at your sprite sheet and your note tags, and I want you to try this..
  1. Change the Index number for Wait to 5.
  2. Change the Index number for Item to 0.
All you need to do is just swap the numbers listed above. Then comment here if that worked for you or not... Thanks!

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I was looking at your sprite sheet and your note tags, and I want you to try this..
  1. Change the Index number for Wait to 5.
  2. Change the Index number for Item to 0.
All you need to do is just swap the numbers listed above. Then comment here if that worked for you or not... Thanks!
oh i sent you an old sprite sheet by mistakeHikiko_batsprite.png
i changed it after some attempts to see if changing the index of wait did anything
it didnt

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mrmetapod

It probably something deeper than just this plugin. Question, I noticed you mentioned action sequences pack 2, but do you have action sequences pack 1 installed as well?

Last edited:

mrmetapod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried only turning on the plugins shown in your tutorial, that also didnt work
the only difference between your plugins and mine's is that i have battle engine core 1.51 instead of 1.50 and my lack of visual hp guage and skill cooldowns, alongside some other non-animation related plugins
But seeing the patch notes on 1.51 there shouldnt be any issue
Are you using the most up to date ver of MV?
Or there could be something wrong with my ver of the plugin, I got it by copying it from the creator's github, if you got it from somewere else could you please give me a link? There's a chance that whould work.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_4 added!
index.php

Finds notes for an old side project... Oh, that's right, the two tracks that sounded really cool and gave inspiration for the big bad in that game... Spends day working on cutscene from old notes, looks okay, now lets slot in the first track... um... I did have those tracks??? It was a year or so ago but I did buy them didn't I?
CA9mtHJ.gif

Everything is really confusing for me
Well, I'm quickly recovering from Covid, but I'm still broke and injured lol. I miss working on my game! I think I've figured out a lore-friendly way to do a tutorial section separate from the main gameplay, but it'll take some scripting know-how. Which I don't have. And can't afford. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prince10